4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2012 12:14 PM by Toomany3

After Effects, Media Encoder and Multiprocessing

Toomany3 Level 1

I searched but only found something related to Red Giant plugins.

Simple question:  How can you force AME to use multiprocessing?  You know, the little box in AE that says "Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously." 

When I render in AME it uses 50% of each core.  When I render with it checked on in AE, it renders all 16 cores at 100%.  And the time difference is about the same--twice as fast with it checked.  I know some projects don't fair as well, but I have about 20 I need to render out from various projects and they all benefit from this feature.  I want to render them all in AME as opposed to onesy-twosy.

• 1. Re: After Effects, Media Encoder and Multiprocessing
          Dave LaRonde Level 6

You can import several projects into single AE project, then add the necessary comps to the AE Render Queue.  If they're all to be the same file types, you can create your own custom default Render Settings & Output Module, then start adding the comps to the Queue.

Bang: batch processing.

• 2. Re: After Effects, Media Encoder and Multiprocessing
            Toomany3 Level 1

Thanks Dave.

I see where you're going with this.  So I take it AME won't use my multiprocessor settings from AE just like CS5.0?

Perhaps I should throw in the "rest of the story."  It might help.

I have a new 32-core/64GB machine that I want to treat as a render slave.  There are two of us working on different AE projects all day.  Sometimes we need to render out 10+ projects during the day.  I would like to use AME for us to drop our renders on the monster computer's queue as we finish them.  The render machine would just hit them in the order they come, and in the mean time freeing up our working machines.  It's not as clean as I presented it in the opening post.  There ARE 20 projects at times to render, but they're not all neatly packaged, ready to go out to render.  It's more like a few an hour are ready to go, but all need to be done by the end of the day (or beginning of next... but if we don't start them in the order that they are ready, they won't all be ready by the next day).

I guess what I was trying to accomplish was a way to just drop projects onto without having to stop any current renders AND be able to keep plugging away on new projects.

After doing some testing, the majority of our projects really benefit from multicore rendering (1:00 hr vs. 2:00 types of benefits).

• 3. Re: After Effects, Media Encoder and Multiprocessing
              Dave LaRonde Level 6

Back in Days Of Yore -- AE Version 3.1, to be precise -- the best time of day to render was just before quitting time.  Once all the project files were imported & comps added to the Render Queue, just hit the render button and let AE work overnight while you're sleeping.

You're looking for a Watch Folder of sorts, and perhaps someone can advise you how to set one up; I don't know if it's possible.  If it isn't, there's nothing that says people can't get current projects ready to render & in the Queue, move onto the next project, and use the ol' overnight render trick just before going home.

It worked in the '90's; I don't see why it wouldn't work now.

• 4. Re: After Effects, Media Encoder and Multiprocessing
                Toomany3 Level 1

Thanks!

That's exactly how we're doing it now, but we were hoping to shave some time off our workflow.  It's a bummer to show up to work and still have 4-5 hours on the render queue left.  I was hoping to kill those 4-5 hours by getting a jump start on it during the day.

So the AME works great for our needs--EXCEPT we can't get it to render with multiprocessor enabled.  When we do it this way now, our renders are 1/2 as fast, and it still puts us into lunch time of the following day.

Grrr!