2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2012 5:34 PM by James_233

InDesign CS5 (Mac) document is on strike (hangs for .idml, creating ToC)...

James_233 Level 1

1. Document A: Tried to create a Table of Contents to replace the one I already have. INDD beachball.

2. Force quit INDD and restarted. On TOC re-creation with new style, same result. Force quit again.

3. Restarted Mac

4. Same result as 1. Set up a new style TOC, with and without PDF hyperlinks. Same result.

5. Reset INDD preferences. Reopened Document A, tried to create ToC. Same result.

6. Document B: Tried to create a TOC in another document. No problems, so must be document, rather than INDD as a whole.

7. Document A: Reopened original buggy document, tried to create IDML, but it froze at 57%. Force quit again...

What can I do to get a non-buggy, working document A? It has variables and cross-references but so does Document B.

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5 (Mac) document is on strike (hangs for .idml, creating ToC)...
          [Jongware] Most Valuable Participant

Open as Copy sometimes works. If not, are you able and willing to share this document with others to take a closer look at? You can either use a public link (e.g., DropBox or yousendit), or feel free to P.M. me for contact details.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: InDesign CS5 (Mac) document is on strike (hangs for .idml, creating ToC)...
            James_233 Level 1

Thank you Jongware for your suggestion.

Open as Copy did not work so I decided to go back to the previous version (I always make a new document when the client sends the next set of changes) and re-did around 5 hours of work, but now I have an up to date version that does not keep crashing and with all the cross-references working really well. Thought this would be better than sending it over to you because I guess no one would be able to fix what was causing the document to crash at the 57% point of idml creation or when clicking on the make ToC button.

I guess at the 57% point INDD is working on the table of contents or cross-references or those dratted variables which cause any document to crash if text containing them is selected. That is a bug which I wish Adobe would fix pronto. Only happens on Macs not the PC version of CS5 apparently.