26 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2012 12:16 PM by davidbeisner2010

Motherboard won't boot

davidbeisner2010 Level 3

I know this isn't the best place for hardware advice, and I've asked over at the Eggxpert and Tom's Hardware as well, but figured it wouldn't hurt to post here as well, especially since y'all tend to post back more quickly than the folks at the other forums! :-)

I just upgraded my power supply, video card, memory, and cpu cooler, and now my motherboard won't boot. I can't get to the POST screen or anything.

I'm an experienced builder, so I took all the usual precautions--static discharge isolation, etc..., and I'm at a loss for what's going on. Unfortunately my system doesn't have a speaker, and there's no way for me to hook one up, so I'm not sure what error beeps I'm getting.

Here's what I've got:

Upgraded from SeaSonic 750W PS to CoolerMaster Gold 1000W PS

Asus P6T6 WS Revolution motherboard

Intel i7-920 Processor (rev. D0)

Upgraded from stock CPU cooler to the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Pro

Upgraded from GTX-285 1GB to GTX-580 3GB video card

Upgraded from 12GB DDR3 1066 to 24GB DDR3 1600 (6x4GB, triple channel)

Assortment of hard drives and optical drives

RAID card

Firewire and USB expansion cards

So far I've tried it with the full configuration, nothing but the video card and one stick of memory, with the old power supply, with the old video card, and with the old memory. I've even removed and re-seated the CPU. I hit the power button and the CPU fan will spin for about a half a second and then everything shuts off. Drives don't spin up, video card fan doesn't spin up, etc. I have to cycle the power supply off and then back on in order for the power button to do anything again. As I said, I don't have capability to plug a speaker into this, so I don't know what (if any) motherboard error beep codes I may be getting, but I don't think it has power long enough to give me ANY beep codes.

I also have checked, plugged, re-plugged, and double-checked my 12V rail plug and my main mobo plug, and they both seem to be fine. I've even swapped 12V rails, as my PS has two rails (and tried the old PS again), all to no avail. The CPU fan is also plugged up properly.

I'm stumped on this one... anybody got any ideas?

• 1. Re: Motherboard won't boot
          Harm Millaard Level 7

David,

I have the feeling from reading your post that this is power related. Suspects here are the mobo connectors for the 12 V main supply (24-pin) and the extra 8-pin 12 V connections. If you don't get the fans to turn on properly, don't get any POST messages, then that is the first place I would look at.

• 2. Re: Motherboard won't boot
            Jim_Simon Level 9

I don't have capability to plug a speaker into this

Why not?  The mobo has a place for it.  All you need is the speaker.

• 3. Re: Motherboard won't boot
              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Ok... I'm getting closer. When I unplugged the other items to try a barebones boot, I had forgotten to unplug the power to all my drives. Turns out the new power supply doesn't like the old power rails for the individual drives (both modular systems, so I figured they'd work--why mess up my nice cable management to swap out power rails). So I ultimately swapped all those out for the new power rails and I'm up and running. Looks like I may have some other issues, though, including the potential loss of a lot of data from a RAID that may have been reset when I attempted to boot with no drives plugged in. That's gonna be bad, if it did indeed happen!

• 4. Re: Motherboard won't boot
                davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Oh, and I don't have capability for the system speaker because the manufacturer I bought the system from (and who custom builds the cases) set up the front panel connecters as one single connector, which means that I can't pick and choose which front panel things get plugged and which don't. And they didn't include a speaker, so in order to have the power button plugged in, access to the speaker pins is gone.

• 5. Re: Motherboard won't boot
                  davidbeisner2010 Level 3

I do have another question, though... And maybe you'll have a quick answer, and maybe you won't know, like me... The documentation for this Mobo says it will support up to 24GB of ram in 6x4gb. However the system is only recognizing 16GB... is there a setting I have to chang ein the BIOS to allow it to access that last 8GB?

• 6. Re: Motherboard won't boot
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

David,

Once upon a time...

I made the mistake to change my old ATI card for a nVidia card and did not use a proper power cable. It caused me lots of headaches and ultimately it was shown that the power connector was the culprit. After the fact it was so easy, but at that moment I had to completely dissemble my system and that did not make me happy, especially when all it was, was a faulty power cable.

• 7. Re: Motherboard won't boot
                      Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

davidbeisner2010 wrote:

Oh, and I don't have capability for the system speaker because the manufacturer I bought the system from (and who custom builds the cases) set up the front panel connecters as one single connector, which means that I can't pick and choose which front panel things get plugged and which don't. And they didn't include a speaker, so in order to have the power button plugged in, access to the speaker pins is gone.

For future reference a very carefully applied screwdriver tip to the two power-on pins turns the system on fine!

• 8. Re: Motherboard won't boot
                        JEShort01 Level 4

David,

Win7 Home Premium only supports 16GB of RAM - could that be your issue with not recognizing the 24GB of physical RAM?

Jim

• 9. Re: Motherboard won't boot
                          davidbeisner2010 Level 3

No, I have 7 Ultimate… Also, POST only recognizes 16GB, not 24…

• 10. Re: Motherboard won't boot
                            Harm Millaard Level 7

In some case turning off XMS profiles in the BIOS allows recognition of all 24 GB. Try it and let us know if that helped.

• 11. Re: Motherboard won't boot
                              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Looked through the whole mobo manual, and also looked through the entire

BIOS, and can’t find anything referring to XMS profiles. Does it perhaps

have another name I could look under? I also noticed that the system is

reading the memory as 1066, not 1600…**

Another question for you, Harm: when the system failed to boot so many

times, following the troubleshooting directions, I cleared the CMOS memory.

Unfortunately, when I did so, it reset all the information related to my

onboard RAID controllers, and my 3-disk RAID-5 is now showing up as

“failed” with one member disk available and two disks missing. All the

disks are powering up, all are recognized within the RAID controller

system, and all are plugged into the exact same ports they were before. But

only one is showing as a member disk. Please, Please, Please tell me

there’s a way to get at least one of those disks back so I can rebuild my

RAID!!! I didn’t think what I was doing would affect the drives at all, so

I didn’t back up that RAID, and there are hundreds of hours worth of

projects on that RAID that I cannot lose!

• 12. Re: Motherboard won't boot
                                Harm Millaard Level 7

David,

Sorry, I should have said XMP, not XMS. XMP stands for eXtreme Memory Profile. Mea culpa...

Let me check your system setup and I will get back to you.

• 13. Re: Motherboard won't boot
                                  davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Thanks… The RAID  controller running the failed RAID is the Intel Matrix

Storage Manager option ROM v 8.0.0.1038 and it’s on the ICH10R chip. The

fact that it still sees one of the drives as being a member drive is giving

me hope that all is not lost.

The BIOS on my system is the American Megatrends, Inc V 02.61. I know it’s

old, and I should probably flash a new version, but I’ve never flashed a

BIOS before, and I’ve heard horror stories of what can go wrong if you

screw it up… I’m still not finding XMP on this BIOS, either…

• 14. Re: Motherboard won't boot
                                    davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Also, Windows is asking me to "format a drive" before it can be used... I'm assuming it's one of the RAID member disks that isn't showing up properly as a member disk. I'm ignoring the requests for now.

I think I figured out the XMP thing... there's a setting in the BIOS for the AI Overclock Tuner, and the options are Manual, Auto, DOCP, and XMP. It's set on Auto. I also disabled the Intel Speedstep Technology, manually set my multiplier to 21, and was then able to manually set the memory to DDR3-1600. It's still only reading 16GB, though...

• 15. Re: Motherboard won't boot
                                      RjL190365 Level 4

It could very well be that your board's current installed BIOS version can only address 2GB per DIMM slot (1GB per rank), and that something on your CPU or board is remapping the RAM. (4GB unbuffered non-ECC DIMMs were not available at the time your motherboard's BIOS was released.) Also, the fact that your board is still referring to the Intel Matrix Storage manager is a giveaway that the BIOS version is extremely old: In 2009, Intel renamed its Intel Matrix Storage Manager to Intel Rapid Storage Technology.

• 16. Re: Motherboard won't boot
                                        Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Update your BIOS.

• 17. Re: Motherboard won't boot
                                          davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Ok, I guess I'll be updating my BIOS... I need to ask Harm, though... by updating the BIOS, will I lose any and all hope of getting that RAID back? If yes, I'll wait to update it till I hear back from you on the RAID issue...

• 18. Re: Motherboard won't boot
                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

David,

As long as you do not format your drives, the data are intact. The problem I see is getting the on-board controller to recognize those disks again and configure them as the raid5 you had, but without overwriting data you have on those disks. It would be OK if the parity is checked, but not writing data. I have never tried it, so it is a wild guess from my side, but maybe you can enter the BIOS settings and attach your disks again to the array without reformatting. However to be safe, I would first start with a backward approach, seeing what can be done under Windows and if there are no rebuild possibilities there, then try the BIOS options. Very carefully look at the options you have and try every option available that does not reformat any of your disks. Cancel every operation that shows it will format your disks and lose all the data on it. If you have exhausted all possible options and you are still out of luck, I would first contact a firm that specializes in data recovery before you give up all hope. Maybe they can help you solve this extremely nasty situation. If even that option does not help, you are out of luck .

I hope this works out for you. Good luck and I will drink to your success.

• 19. Re: Motherboard won't boot
                                              davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Thanks, Harm! What’s your opinion on updating the BIOS before attempting a

rebuild?

• 20. Re: Motherboard won't boot
                                                Harm Millaard Level 7

Updating / flashing the BIOS will not hurt the data on your disks. I suggest you do the flashing first, because it may also give you additional functionality to help you recover your data.

• 21. Re: Motherboard won't boot
                                                  davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Ok, got the BIOS updated via the Asus BIOS Update Utility for Windows (nice, handy little program that takes the guesswork out of it!). I never could get the RAID controller to recognize and remount the drives, but I was finally able to find some software at a reasonable price that would save my data. I did a Google search for Raid Recovery and the top result was for the RAID recovery software from Runtime Software. Their Windows RAID Recovery program cost $99, but I was able to use it to select two of the three disks that had been in the RAID, it ran a bunch of algorithms on the drives to determine the correct sector size, starting sectors, and spin directions, and then it was able to copy all the data over to one of my other drives, which allowed me to rebuild the RAID with the original three drives. Took a while, and it taught me a very important lesson: Whenver making a hardware change, backup everything. Period. No matter how little you think your changes will affect your data!

I am still stuck on the memory issue, though... Anybody got any ideas? Flashing the new BIOS didn't allow it to recognize it properly. It still sees only 16GB of DDR3-1066 memory, not 24GB of DDR3-1600.

• 22. Re: Motherboard won't boot
                                                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Glad that you were able to recover your data.

First you have to get it to recognize 24 GB, then the next step is increasing the speed. So, in order to recognize it, did the XMP off setting help you at all?

• 23. Re: Motherboard won't boot
                                                      davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Well, my board doesn’t have an “XMP Off” setting per se. The only place I

could find anything on XMP was in the AI Overclock Tuner command, and the

options there were Manual, Auto, DOCP, or XMP. It’s on Auto, because I

don’t know what the other options do. So it may be at XMP, but I’m not

sure, nor am I sure what to set it at if I put it on Manual. DOCP allows me

to manually set my BCLK for overclocking, but since I’m not overclocking

anything yet, I don’t know what I would set that at. Any suggestions?

• 24. Re: Motherboard won't boot
                                                        davidbeisner2010 Level 3

I may have found something that might help shed some light... this is taken from the spec sheet for the mobo from Asus' website:

6 x DIMM, Max. 24 GB, DDR3 1600(O.C.)/1333/1066 Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory

I hadn't read it terribly closely before, and I just noticed that after the 1600, it says (O.C.). Does that imply that I will have to overclock the system before it will recognize the memory a) as being 1600, and b) as 24GB?

• 25. Re: Motherboard won't boot
                                                          davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Ok, I think I may have figured out my problem... According to the spec sheet for my CPU, the i7-920 only supports 800/1066 MHz memory in the 24GB configuration. So I guess my question next would be: can I, through overclocking, force things to work? or should I return the memory and get 24GB of 1066? or should I look at upgrading the CPU (but I would need something that supports the 1366 x58 chipset, since I don't want to get a new board as well)? Upgrading the CPU is probably out of the question, just from a financial point of view. So I guess that leaves the first two questions to be answered.

EDIT: They don't make 24GB of memory at the 1066 level... I'd have to go to 1333 to get 24GB. But the Intel spec specifically says up to 24GB with certain types, and then says that the types it accepts are 800/1066. Now I'm confused. Help?

• 26. Re: Motherboard won't boot
                                                            davidbeisner2010 Level 3

Ok, just noticed that CPU-Z is reading the memory at 24GB, and it's reading it at the correct 1600 (800MHz)... however, BIOS still shows only 16GB, and Windows still shows only 16GB... Not sure what this means, but figured it might help someone...