5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2012 11:44 PM by Toomany3

2 Video Cards - Wrong One Doing GPU work

Toomany3 Level 1

I have 2 cards.  A GTX 470 and a $40 ATI.  Somehow AE (Windows 7?) is using the ATI at 100% to assit in rendering, but the GTX 470 is sitting there at 0%.  How do I change that?

The ATI card is so I can run a #3 and #4 monitor.

• 1. Re: 2 Video Cards - Wrong One Doing GPU work
          Navarro Parker Level 3

It really doesn't matter which card is being used. Both are more than enough for AE. (And you probably shouldn't be OpenGL rendering anyway). AE & blazing OpenGL rendering speed-ups has become an urban legend that just won't die.

Hopefully Todd will chime in with his handy link to Adobe's AE/OpenGL page.

• 2. Re: 2 Video Cards - Wrong One Doing GPU work
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

AE uses the card that is defined as the primary one in your system based on the operating system's internal device enumeration. There is no way to change that other than reinstalling your OS and rewiring the cards in such a way, that your GTX is the first one - this can get as silly as the card having to be in a specific PCI slot on your motherboard. You might try creating a system profile that hasn't got the ATI card at all - on Win7, this should work, as it can handle multiple graphics drivers and loads them selectively. Still, Navarro has a point. You won't see much of a difference in performance unless you use the most hungry OpenGL plug-ins like Shapeshifter or MB Loooks with humungously large footage...

Mylenium

• 3. Re: 2 Video Cards - Wrong One Doing GPU work
              Toomany3 Level 1

Thanks, as always guys.

But what am I missing here.  If AE isn't using the cards like you say, why, then, does my ATI light up to 100% when rendering in AE?  What's stranger (to me), is when I uninstall the ATI card and do the same exact render my GTX 470 doesn't do a thing.  It stays between 0 and 1% activity.

• 4. Re: 2 Video Cards - Wrong One Doing GPU work
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

That would depend on what specific OpenGL stuff is involved. The ATI card may simply be operating on the edge of its capabilities if it exhausts the number of avialable shader operations/ steps per clock cycle or all its onboard memory. The GTX may simply have more headroom, which of course illustrates the irony. Or, strange as this may sound, due to driver problems your plug-ins revert to software-only mode. Furthermore, disabling the ATI card could mess with some under-the-hood wiring that we are not aware of, affecting how AE uses OpenGL/ CUDA or not. Complex topic. Still, on overall balance it won't very likely yield that much of a gain in rendering speed so rather than losing sleep over it, simply take it as one more mystery oif the computer age...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: 2 Video Cards - Wrong One Doing GPU work
                  Toomany3 Level 1

Still, on overall balance it won't very likely yield that much of a gain in rendering speed so rather than losing sleep over it, simply take it as one more mystery oif the computer age...

Haha!  Yep, you're right.  Thanks again for your help!