10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2012 6:01 PM by Dérive

Problem removing underlined headings

Dérive

I am sorry if this is an obvious question, I did a little search but not really satisfied with the answers.

My problem is this. I have a ID document from a colleague that is intended as a future template but I cannot remove the constant underlined headings. They do not appear when typing, pasting text but only when editing existing headings. I have checked all the dialog boxes but yet to find out where it is generated from.

Sure it's obvious but I can't figure it out.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Problem removing underlined headings
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Perhaps it's part of a heading style that includes a paragraph rule below.

• 2. Re: Problem removing underlined headings
            Dérive Level 1

Thanks for the assistance Peter, I don't think it's that to be honest. I have been handed this and taking over from someone else that I won't have any contact with at all. I have looked at the paragraph styles and indeed they tend to make sense now but none of them have the odd blue underlining that I mean. It's not an imported graphic or anything like that but somehow embedded into the text or whatever.

• 3. Re: Problem removing underlined headings

It would help if you post a screen shot.

Use the camera icon on the web page to embed it in your post like this:

CameraIcon.png

• 4. Re: Problem removing underlined headings
                Dérive Level 1

Here you are Peter.

grab.jpg

• 5. Re: Problem removing underlined headings

They certainly look like paragraph rules. Can you show the same view with non-printing characters showing so we have a better idea about wherethey might be applied?

• 6. Re: Problem removing underlined headings
                    Dérive Level 1

Pardon my ignorance but what do you mean with non-printing characters?

• 7. Re: Problem removing underlined headings

Type > Show Hidden Characters.

They're only visible in normal view, so you have to turn off Overprint Preview if it's on and switch out of Preview mode if it's active.

• 8. Re: Problem removing underlined headings
                        Dérive Level 1

I didn't know thats what normal view meant.

grab2.jpg

• 9. Re: Problem removing underlined headings

OK there are several possibilities for what's going on. The blue lines LOOK like paragraph rules, but they might not be actually. I should ahve asked you to select the text frame too, but we can work with what you've shown us.

I see that the lines end at a guide onthe right end, but below the "f" is crossing the guide, so it makes it seem more likely that the lines are actually just drawn. Are you able to select them individually? That would be confirmation.

If you can't select them, then they pretty much have to be rules, but it isn't certain which paragraphs they have been applied to. the upper line could be a Rule Below applied to the Happy Christmas paragraph, or a Rule Above  to Letter from the Editor. The lower line could be a Rule Below  applied to Joe Bloggs, or a Rule Above applied to the empty paragraph just above the main text. The only way to find out is to put your cursor in each of those paragraphs and open the context menu in the Paragraph panel (not Paragraph Styles) or on the end of the Control Panel and choose Paragraph Rules... In the dialog you'll need to check the dropdown for rule above or below as appropriate, and loo for the checkmark inthe box next to the dropdown.

If you find a rule enabled, you can turn it off by unchecking the box, but you should really also make a not of the paragraph style that is applied and edit the style to be sure it isn't included inthe style definition.

• 10. Re: Problem removing underlined headings
                            Dérive Level 1

Looks like your right Peter. I can't select them at all individually. I checked what you said about the paragraph dialogue box and there is indeed a rule aplied below the Happy Christmas text, thats the upper blue rule. Although I still can't find the rule below Joe Bloggs but at least I have an idea now. The options for the seems somewhat buried I think. I'm more old school Quark and although not totally new to InDesign I'm more Photoshop than anything else.

Thanks for your help!

* Edit. I found the second rule connected to the Joe Bloggs byline text, funny thing is it's incorrect and doesn't match the one above, it's thinner as can be seen in the grabs. Thanks again Peter.