6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2012 3:51 PM by the_wine_snob

Why does Adobe install 3rd party software with PE 10 without asking?

fyip

I purchased Photoshop Elements and Priemere Elements 10 together. During installation Adobe installed SmartSound Sonicfire Pro 5 on my computer. The installation did not ask if I wanted to install this software and there was no option to not install it. I am the only one who installs applications on my computer so what gives Adobe the right to decide what to install for me. Sonicfire Pro 5 is unwanted by me and it pains me greatly that software was installed on my computer without my consent. Besides it takes up 30GB of disk space. Yes I can uninstall it and I will but it should not have been installed in the first place. I bought Photoshop Elements 10 and Premiere Elements 10 because I was happy with my purchase of Photoshop Elements 6 and Premiere Elements 4 and wanted to have newer versions but now I am very unhappy. I will never buy a Adobe product or suggest Adobe products to anyone ever again. The only thing that would change my mind would be if Adobes next version did not contain any 3rd party software or if it did one should be given a choice during installation as to install it or not and Adobe should give me a free version to replace the one I have. As those two things are unlikely to happen I will continue to never buy any Adobe software or suggest to anyone to buy Adobe products and faithfully watch the stock market as Adobe stocks continue to decline. Guess what I do for a living!

• 1. Re: Why does Adobe install 3rd party software with PE 10 without asking?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

SmartSound is part of PrE, just like the NewBlue FX Effects and Transitions. I think that you will find it very useful. This ARTICLE goes into more detail. Once, SmartSound was included as a plug-in, but Sonicfire Pro (there are two versions, and the "for-pay" version, Scoring Edition, is great, and well worth the $) is now the included version, since SmartSound was able to port it for both versions of Premiere and After Effects.

Now, I feel as you do. I want to see all non-essential elements, and have the option to install, or not. OTOH, the inclusion of SmartSound does not bother me in the least, but then I have been using it for about a decade, in one form, or another. It's also included and installed with Pinnacle Studio, CyberLink's PowerDirector (or was), and at least one version of Magix MovieEdit Pro (or was). The versions of those programs, that I have, only had the older SmartSound plug-in program, plus a limited edition of the music library.

The only choice, IIRC, is whether one installs the additional Functional Content, or not.

You might want to contact Adobe, and let them know how you feel, as we are all but users here, and have no sway over what Adobe does, or does not include.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Why does Adobe install 3rd party software with PE 10 without asking?
            nealeh Level 5

Bill Hunt wrote:

the inclusion of SmartSound does not bother me in the least, but then I have been using it for about a decade, in one form, or another. It's also included and installed with Pinnacle Studio, CyberLink's PowerDirector (or was), and at least one version of Magix MovieEdit Pro (or was).

It's also included in Corel VideoStudio Pro X4.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: Why does Adobe install 3rd party software with PE 10 without asking?
              fyip Level 1

Thanks for the reply. I researched SmartSound after I saw it was on my computer and it is a great program but I will never use software no matter how good it is because it was forced upon me. I also read some of your articles and have much respect for you but you were still unable to answer my question. I volunteer on 3 Microsoft forums so I know how forums work. I most likely will not get a answer to my question but I will be seen and heard, part of my goal. I am a man of my word and will never give up till my last day is done. Microsoft installed IE 8 on my computer without asking and automatic updates are turned off. I chipped away at their empire. Toon Boom Studio which I paid $500.00 for was unusable because I refused to install Apple QuickTime which it needs. You see it is not the money it is a matter of principle. What is the future of the WWW, the Internet and the software we buy if people just accept all the unwanted software and never complain, well it will get worse such as Microsoft installing ads in Office now. Also Google using Dell to install their Desktop with the operating system and many more such cases. Well not on my computer, I buy and install the original version only and do not have all that stuff causing problems. Google and many others are never seen on my computer. Now is the time to do something and not 10 years from now when pushing back will be almost impossible and 10 times as hard. As for Adobe, well word spreads fast these days, right!

• 4. Re: Why does Adobe install 3rd party software with PE 10 without asking?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for that. It's one NLE (along with Vegas), that I do NOT have...

Looks like it is in many of the consumer NLE's available - would assume that Sony comes with one of their music creation programs, but I might be wrong too.

Once one has used SmartSound, they will likely never go back. It was great, when it was just a plug-in, and then Sonicfire was released. As that was a stand-alone from at least version 2, through the early releases of version 5, it took more to use, but was still worth the effort. Then, with version 5 of Sonicfire Pro 5 Scoring Edition (still a stand-alone then), it gained much more power, and offered much more control. Now, since it's been ported for Adobe, I cannot imagine a better way to go.

Their library is extensive, though, if one does not partake of their sales, expensive too, and there is hardly a musical theme, that is not well-covered. With their Multi-level libraries, and Sonicfire Pro Scorting Edition, one can do things, that border on Hollywood, with John Williams producing the score.

I've got about 85% of their entire library, but have not bought anything new in a year, so there are probably a half-dozen new discs, that I just "can't live without." Gotta' start checking the sales again.

For one just getting started with SmartSound, there is an "amateur" series, that is often on sale, that covers many genre of music. Very useful for "home videos." Those are slightly lower Sample-Rate, but still high-quality. They are also not Multi-layer, so Sonicfire Pro Scoring Edition does not really come into its own, but one can usually pick up the full library, for about the cost of 2 regular-priced Multi-layer discs.

Nah, I am a big fan, and have been from the moment that I encountered SmartSound with about Pinnacle Studio 3. With very few exceptions, I don't even look elsewhere, even though I have several music-creation programs, and Adobe Audition with a full 5000 cut Loopology library.

Hunt

• 5. Re: Why does Adobe install 3rd party software with PE 10 without asking?
                  the marketing guy Level 1

Speaking of QuickTIme-- Doesn't PE 10 install that also" I don't remember if it installed it or just said I needed it, but I was wondering if PE 10 would work without it. Say, by using a different codec (such as Instacodecs). Or do you need to have Quicktime instaled for PE 10 to work?

• 6. Re: Why does Adobe install 3rd party software with PE 10 without asking?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

I did not answer you question, because I have no answer. That was why I recommended contacting Adobe. Though, at times, it might not seem like it, but they do listen to their customers. They collect tons of data, and try to prioritize things, based on that input. This is for Feature Requests, or just comments on how one likes, or does not like, the software.

In very general terms, I find Adobe products to be very benign, and especially to many other companies' software.

Over the decades, I only recall a few instances, where something was installed, without my input, at some level. Back about PS CS, there were some NIK Filters that were installed, and a few of them were "trials," which I am not keen on. SmartSound would be another example, except that I would want it, regardless (and probably only complain, if it was missing).

One of the biggest rubs that I had with Pinnacle Studio was that even if one bought their biggest, most expensive package, a ton of Effects and Transitions were loaded as trials. To get all of those, one had to spend about US $400, above the price of the NLE. Not sure if that is still the case, as I switched to AVID Liquid, about they time they bought Pinnacle, and have not seen Pinnacle Studio in many years. When I moved from Liquid, to PrPro, and the CS2 Production Studio, I never looked back at AVID/Pinnacle. Now, CS2 Production Studio came with about 8 programs, and then a ton of "Goodies." I would have loved to have the Goodies as options in the full suite installation. As it was, I had to do the main, muli-program install, and then run installation routines for maybe 30 other plug-ins, add-ons and stand-alones.

No, like you, I refuse to update my iTunes, as so much "other stuff" gets installed, and then I have to clean it out. You are not alone, except that we see SmartSound from different sides. Though I understand your not wanting anything, but the program, I view that as a necessity.

My suggestion to Adobe would be to include that as a separate, user-selectable install, though I have never heard of anyone complaining, unless SmartSound did not work for them.

I understand personal principles, and try to adhere to my own, but before you pass on SmartSound, I beg you to try it out. That will not ameliorate the need for Adobe to let the user decide what is/is not installed, but with a few sessions, you might change your mind about the program, itself.

Do let Adobe know how you feel, and perhaps SmartSound will become an additional installation, like the additional Functional Content.

Good luck,

Hunt