4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 31, 2012 8:29 PM by Chris CanonXF

Trouble Importing Canon XF Files at 1080 60i (59.94i)?

Chris CanonXF

I am completely new with Premiere Pro and editing in HD for that matter. I am still using the trial version of Premiere Pro CS5.5. My issue is that I shoot on an Canon XF300 at 1080 60i. When selecting a new project I select the following Preset [Canon XF MPEG2 1080i30 (60i)]. This is the only Preset setting I see that is 1080i and at 60i?

My issue is that I can view my XF files in the Media Browser and their properties read 59.94i, however when I import them into PP CS5.5 their properties then read 29.97 fps.

I shoot fast moving objects that require the 60i setting - how can I import these Canon XF 1080 60i (59.94i) clips into a project/sequence with the same 59.94i setting? I have looked at the manual and additional published articles and thought my issue was due to me using the Trial version, however in CS5.5 it is supposed to have all codec support so I think I ruled that out.

Any help will be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Chris

• 1. Re: Trouble Importing Canon XF Files at 1080 60i (59.94i)?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Here's the issue.

There is no such thing as 60i, which technically means 60 interlaced frames per second.  There is no camera in the world that I know which can shoot at 60 interlaced frames per second.  There is no TV in the world that can show 60 interlaced frames per second.  Neither DVD nor Blu-ray can hold 60i footage.  60i is not a part of the ATSC broadcast standard (the replacement for NTSC).  60i is a mislabel started by camera makers.  They intend to mean 30 interlaced frames per second, which works out to 60 fields.  But the convention is to always list frame rate, never the field rate.

So...what it boils down to is that 60i is an incorrect way of saying 30i.  They both mean exactly the same thing - 30 interlaced frames per second.

• 2. Re: Trouble Importing Canon XF Files at 1080 60i (59.94i)?
            Chris CanonXF Level 1

Thanks Jim for the response - so I am using the correct setting after-all. Apparently I do not understand the difference between frame rate and field rate.... it has been a truely monumental learning curve shooting with this camera and now this editing software. I am having fun with the stunning footage but it has been frustrating at times. 

One additional question - why does the Media Browser list the "Frame Rate" of these clips as 59.94i and in the Project folder the "frame rate" is 29.97 fps? - Is it because the 29.97 FPS is literally 30 frames displayed per second and the 59.94i is the interlaced 60 frames to make the 30 fps? Obviously you can probably tell I am a novice.

I should then expect that this playback of this "60i" footage on my computer display will not look as smooth as the playback through a blu-ray on a HD TV?

Thanks again and I appreciate the help!

• 3. Re: Trouble Importing Canon XF Files at 1080 60i (59.94i)?
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

CS5/5.5 has a nifty new feature, to insure that your sequence matches your video

See 2nd post for picture of NEW ITEM process http://forums.adobe.com/thread/872666

• 4. Re: Trouble Importing Canon XF Files at 1080 60i (59.94i)?
                Chris CanonXF Level 1

Fantastic! Thanks John... that's helpful as well.