5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2012 9:58 AM by the_wine_snob

Adding Still Photos to Video Project

LZecca77 Level 1

I have a video project that I am working on.  My preset in Premiere Elements 10 is HD 1920 x 1080i 5.1 sound.

I have output the video onto DVD and played it on a standard def DVD player and on my computer.  The video looks awful.  If I play it on a Blu-Ray player, it looks perfect.  Does anyone know why this would happen?

Shouldn't the DVD output play on a standard def DVD player even though the source material is recorded in HD (Sony AVCHD camera)?  The presets are chosen fromte source material not the output resolution, right?

I have also made picture slide shows and only used pics that I  downsized to 1000 x 750 (72dpi).  The picture video looks great when playing thru a standard DVD player or a Blu-ray player.

However, when I try to combine the two...HD source material with still photos....nothing seems to work.  I have chosen the correct HD preset and resized the pics to both 1000 x 750 and 1500 x 1127 and they both look bad when playing thru a regular DVD player or my computer.

How do I get my HD video and pics in one project to look good when playing thru a standard DVD player and when playing on a computer.

Again, I have chosen the correct preset for the video since this will be most of my project and tried resizing photos to meet the preset of the project. I have chosen DVD as the output.  Both video and pics look awful when playing back thru a standard DVD player and/or on the computer.

Please help!!!

• 1. Re: Adding Still Photos to Video Project
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately, you are down-rezzing from HD to SD, which is 1/4 of the resolution, as your original Source Files. An SD DVD will never be as good, as you HD material.

Is there a reason that you are not doing a BD? That is HD, and will be very close to the Source Footage.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Adding Still Photos to Video Project
            LZecca77 Level 1

Thanks for your reply, Bill.

I assume by BD, you mean, Blu- Ray Disc?  The reason I am not outputting on BD is because I want other people who don't have a Blu-ray disc player to be able to watch the project too without it being distorted.  I guess this just isn't an option?

So, are you saying:

1) that any footage that comes off of my HD camera must go onto a blu-ray disc or be played thru a blu-ray player in order to acheive the highest quality?

Will this footage be able to be put on the web (like You Tube or a website) withought being distorted?

2)  Should I keep my HD video projects and photo album projects separate?  Since they have 2 different resolutions they won't play nicely together on video?

Is there a way to combine both HD video with photos or should I stick with standard def video when I'm working with both photos and video in a project?

3) In a project where I'm using photos only (video photo album) down-rezzing to 1000x750 (72dpi) looks ok on DVD.  Is this just because it's basically in standard def format?

• 3. Re: Adding Still Photos to Video Project
              the_wine_snob Level 9

You are correct, BD = Blu-ray Disc.

As DVD is SD (Standard Definition), i.e. 720 x 480 for NTSC, and may be Standard 4:3, or Widescreen 16:9, you are limited in the quality, that is possible. If you start with HD material, you will have to down-rez to SD, basically loosing 3/4 of the resolution. There is no way around that. For pretty much the full DVD specs., see the links in this ARTICLE.

Now, one CAN burn ~ 20 mins. of HD material, in full HD, to a DVD disc, but then the viewer needs a BD player, to use it.

Those are pretty much the only options.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Adding Still Photos to Video Project
                LZecca77 Level 1

Thanks, Hunt.

I guess I'm just hoping for the best of both worlds when it just doesn't exist.

I'll keep my photo and HD video projects separate unless I know they are going to be played on a blu-ray player.

I'll keep my photos to standard dvd presets and output onto DVD to play on a standard dvd or HD player.

• 5. Re: Adding Still Photos to Video Project
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

About the best that one can get with SD DVD's, is to play them on an up-rezzing DVD, or BD player, hooked to an HD TV with an HDMI cable. Those players have dedicated up-rezzing chips, and they do a wonderful job. It's still not going to be as good as a BD Project, using HD material, and then authored to a BD, but dang, those up-rezzing chips make a lowly SD DVD look amazingly good - you will never see SD DVD's look any better.

Good luck,

Hunt