11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2012 7:34 AM by msp1518

Serious EXPORT problem with 1080p AJA encoded file and Premiere Pro. Need help.

msp1518 Level 1

Gents. I recently began editing a project on Premiere Pro (CS5 Production Premium) and the files are 422 1080p AJA encoded from Pro8mm in Burbank, California. I had to install an AJA codec to get these files to work on my system and in editing, everything looked and seemed fine.

Until today.

I tried exporting my rough cut and was stunned to find it is a mess. I don't know how to describe what it looks like other than to provide you a link to YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryjPBe1QElY&feature=youtu.be

That is VBR2pass and it looks like that no matter what format I choose. MPEG2 or 4 or H.264, etc.

However, if I choose VBR 1 Pass and NONE of the higher quality settings, I get a normal looking picture. Like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPTW2J4RMKU&feature=youtu.be

So if I choose low quality VBR1 and nothing high, I get an image, but that is not an option and shouldn't be happening.

I'm clueless and so are the folks at Pro8mm. This is my first time using them. Previously I had used Lightpress in Seattle and they provided me uncompressed QuickTime files that played 100% and were cake to export.

So, I am against a deadline (aren't we all) and after spending about twelve hours on this, I am near a total panic. What the hell is happening here?

I am running an i7 PC and am NOT on a MAC. I repeat... No MAC! I am a PC guy.

Is there some other codec or software I need installed? What gives? I would greatly appreciate help on this one.

Under properties:

File Path: I:\matt.mov

Type: QuickTime Movie

File Size: 166.1 GB

Image Size: 1920 x 1080

Pixel Depth: 24

Frame Rate: 23.976

Total Duration: 00:14:55:23

Average Data Rate: 189.7 MB / second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

QuickTime Details:

Movie contains 1 video track(s), 0 audio track(s) and 0 timecode track(s).

Video:

This movie appears to have DROPPED FRAMES.

There are 21503 frames with a duration of 125/2997ths.

There is 1 frame with a duration of 432/2997ths.

Video track 1:

Duration is 0:14:56:21

Average frame rate is 23.98 fps

Video track 1 contains 1 type(s) of video data:

Video data block #1:

Frame Size = 1920 x 1080

Compressor = RGB 10-bit

Quality = Most (5.00)

• 1. Re: Serious EXPORT problem with 1080p AJA encoded file and Premiere Pro. Need help.
          Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

Is the maroon background in the first YT video supposed to be there?  It's black in the second video.

The noise on the background in the first video looks like maybe you set the bit rate too low?

Please post screen shots of your sequence settings and your export settings.  It's possible there's 10-bit to 8-bit things going on here as well.

-Jeff

• 2. Re: Serious EXPORT problem with 1080p AJA encoded file and Premiere Pro. Need help.
            msp1518 Level 1

The first clip is a mess of riddled artifacts and mosaic of colors. It's supposed to be blackish gray with a title card (it's some black video I shot on super8). All I get are mosaic colors when I use anything but VBR 1 Pass low quality.

Here is a clearer example...

mosaic.jpg

OUCH! That's not a bitrate issue. It's an encoding error issue of some sort. The irony here is that the higher I set the bitrate and the more passes I use, the more crazy (mosaicy) the image looks.

Now, if I go to the top and just MATCH SETTINGS, it's fine. But that doesn't help me encode for a Blu-Ray, which is what I need to output when this is all said and done. It also doesn't help me upload rough cuts to the client to look at as the file is massive in size when I match settings.

• 3. Re: Serious EXPORT problem with 1080p AJA encoded file and Premiere Pro. Need help.
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Have you installed the latest updates for Premiere Pro CS5?

As a workaround until you figure out what's going wrong, you could try exporting a lossless master file and then converting and compressing that using Adobe Media Encoder.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Serious EXPORT problem with 1080p AJA encoded file and Premiere Pro. Need help.
                msp1518 Level 1

I have experimented with exporting 5 to 10 second clips using Match Settings, which creates what looks like an MPEG file. I can then import that into my timeline and export it as anything I want. The problem is, Quality is set to 50, not 100 and locked. I cannot change it. ????? Why does it not default to 100? What gives here?

My hard disk space is quickly running out so I may run into a wall with all of this.

I've never used Media Encoder by itself to do any converting so this will be a new one for me. My ultimate playback on this will be Blu-Ray onto a screen about 120 inches diagonal. I want to keep quality high, but it doesn't have to be perfect. But it's grainy super8 scanned to HD so that can easily turn into artifact city if no care is taken.

In looking at Media Encoder I am confused on how to convert this footage to something useful.

Can I please have some advice on what I can convert to? I'm lost here.

This will likely be the last time I use Pro8mm. Unless you have a MAC they just don't seem to care to give you something that works. 

I appear to have the latest updates, by the way.

Image here shows what my options are in Media Encoder...

Image1.jpg

Many of the options only give me SD resolution.

Now if i want to MATCH SETTINGS, this is what I see. 

match.jpg

Why 50 for quality? This is uncompressed 422 10bit 1080p HD. Here are the properties of one of the source files...

File Path: E:\Shorts\Miscommunications\lightpress\lr1.mov

Type: QuickTime Movie

File Size: 182.3 GB

Image Size: 1920 x 1080

Pixel Depth: 24

Frame Rate: 23.976

Total Duration: 00:24:35:02

Average Data Rate: 126.4 MB / second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

QuickTime Details:

Movie contains 1 video track(s), 0 audio track(s) and 1 timecode track(s).

Video:

This movie appears to have DROPPED FRAMES.

There are 35402 frames with a duration of 125/2997ths.

There is 1 frame with a duration of 460/2997ths.

Video track 1:

Duration is 0:24:36:13

Average frame rate is 23.98 fps

Video track 1 contains 1 type(s) of video data:

Video data block #1:

Frame Size = 1920 x 1080

Compressor = Uncompressed 10 bit

Quality = Most (5.00)

Timecode:

Timecode track 1 contains 1 type(s) of data:

Timecode data block #1:

Start Time = 00:47:52:26

Reel name = 001

• 5. Re: Serious EXPORT problem with 1080p AJA encoded file and Premiere Pro. Need help.
                  msp1518 Level 1

I'm no closer to a solution and could really use some help from the forum's top dogs.

• 6. Re: Serious EXPORT problem with 1080p AJA encoded file and Premiere Pro. Need help.
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Choose Microsoft AVI, and under Codec on the video tab, choose None.  You can then open up Adobe Media Encoder by itself and convert that AVI file to anything you want.

• 7. Re: Serious EXPORT problem with 1080p AJA encoded file and Premiere Pro. Need help.
                      msp1518 Level 1

Jim and everyone, this is just a nightmare. EVERY SETTING results in the mizzare mess of mosaic crap I showed above. The only settings that give me non-mosaic crap are "VBR1 pass" with NO maximum settings. Basically, the 1 pass defaults.

Even uncompressed AVI gives me the mess. I'm tearing my hair out of my head here. This should not be. And I d not know what to do.

Need a miracle here. A big fat miracle. Does ANYONE have experience with the AJA codec? Anyone at all?

At this point I wonder if I have to bring these gargantuan files to someone with a MAC (since pro8mm, who provided me these files, are MAC whores - who knew I was a PC guy, as I stated prior) and hope to God these can be converted into something useful and THEN I can place them back into my system and hopefully it will all line up.

I'm talking about converting the actual two master files (166 and 109 GB's in size).

Anyway, I will miss my deadline. I'm screwed. Nothing I can do now but fight to finish this.

UPDATE: I might have access to a Macbook Pro. What I am thinking is, convert my two AJA encoded master files (the 1080p files Pro8mm gave me) to something else (that ends in .mov) and switch them out on my editing setup. Same file name, but no more AJA.

In theory I should just have to re-render, right?

But what to do with CS5 in the Mac? My friend has CS5 on his Mac, but never uses it. I know nothing about Macs and really don't know what settings to pick.

I need to encode to something that will work in the PC with CS5 environment.

Thanks again. Sorry for such a complex problem.

• 8. Re: Serious EXPORT problem with 1080p AJA encoded file and Premiere Pro. Need help.
                        Jim_Simon Level 8

Converting the original media to an Uncompressed AVI before import into Premiere Pro is not a bad idea.

• 9. Re: Serious EXPORT problem with 1080p AJA encoded file and Premiere Pro. Need help.
                          msp1518 Level 1

Jim, but if I do that, I can switch it with the original file, as the original file has a .mov extension. If the filename is exactly the same I shouldn't have to edit from scratch. Just re-render, so how do I solve that problem?

This is uncharted territory for me. My friend is on his way over with the Macbook pro as I type this. It's gonna be a late night.

• 10. Re: Serious EXPORT problem with 1080p AJA encoded file and Premiere Pro. Need help.
                            Jim_Simon Level 8

Just unlink the original MOV and then relink it to the new AVI.

• 11. Re: Serious EXPORT problem with 1080p AJA encoded file and Premiere Pro. Need help.
                              msp1518 Level 1

Just updating. I am in business. Thanks for the help, guys, Just slow going. The laptop has no power compared to my desk station.