5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2012 7:52 AM by DaraClare

Insert Page Without Re-applying the Master Page

DaraClare Level 1

Hi, using InDesign CS5, I am trying to insert a page after page 1 on a catalogue without re-applying the master page to all the following pages – is this possible? I have text boxes set up in the master which I'd rather not delete.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

DC

• 1. Re: Insert Page Without Re-applying the Master Page
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Overridden master items will reassert themselves if a page changes sides in a spread. Add two pages at a time.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Insert Page Without Re-applying the Master Page
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sorry, I realize that wasn't clear.

When a page switches sides in the spread any master items that were overridden, like text frames in which text was flowed, are going to be retained, but the new page position also has master objects, and those master objects will all be there. In the case of things like headers or footers or other objects that weren't overridden, the new objects will appear and the old ones will disappear, but for anything overridden you'll have both the old and the new. Without using something like the Auto-Flow Pro plugin from In-Tools.com, the only way to prevent this from happening is to add or remove multiples of two, or rethink the use of the master objects. Do those text frames need to be on the master page? You can autoflow text without master frames, and most times setting the margin and column guides to contain the flow is preferable to using a master text frame for precisely the reason you are seeing.

• 3. Re: Insert Page Without Re-applying the Master Page
              DaraClare Level 1

Thanks Peter, perfectly clear both times. Unfortunately I need to insert only 1 page, so if I insert 2 pages, the problem simply happens again when I delete the second page. I guess it's something I'll have to live with as I do need the text frames on the master (I need a lot of separate text frames and image boxes on each page).

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated. I will start deleting unwanted master page items now.

Cheers, D

• 4. Re: Insert Page Without Re-applying the Master Page
                coreenm Level 1

depending on your layout, there is one other option. For the page right after your insertion point, create a new section from the pages panel. Then when you add the new page, add it as the last page of the previous section. This should make the rest of the pages stay exactly as they are. I'm guessing that since you only want to add one page, you aren't working with spreads.

• 5. Re: Insert Page Without Re-applying the Master Page
                  DaraClare Level 1

I am working with spreads, but not sections if that's what you meant. If I wasn't working in spreads I don't think I'd have this problem - I think it's because indesign thinks I need the left master rather than the right side — but I'm not sure. Anyway, I just inserted a new page and for some reason it didn't reapply the master page to all of the following pages, just the first few, so it wasn't too bad. Adding sections would mess up my spreads I think but thanks for all your help, it's very much appreciated :]