13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2012 6:33 AM by Peter Spier

Outlines with type

printinggal

When I type a font (any style) and then apply a outline to it it looks good, until I ask for create outlines (before sending it off to a print shop)  it looks bad.

is there a way to keep the look?Screenshot1.jpg

• 1. Re: Outlines with type
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Outlined type will always look worse then the original because well-made vector type has "hinting." These make it look better at low resolution.

There is no way to prevent this from happening. In fact, some things like InDesign-created bulleting, etc. will drop out altogether because they are not part of the font.

Many of us, as well as the professionals at Adobe, don't believe that there should be any reason to outline fonts. Creating a PDF file correctly should provide all the information that's necessary to print it. See this posting I did a few years ago at InDesignSecrets.com:

http://indesignsecrets.com/outlining-fonts-is-it-necessary.php

Not everyone agrees, including printers who have very ancient RIPs and very ancient workflows, as you can read in the comments below the posting.

• 2. Re: Outlines with type
            Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Well, do you have to convert all type to curves/create outlines before sending to the printer? I'd hope that you are sending a PDF to the printer, so you wouldn't need to convert all type to outlines. Is this your print service provider's requirement, or are you doing it out of habit?

(I've found some workarounds, very 1990s stuff where I build up the single word "Printing" out of two or three layers of vector objects, but I do not advise doing this when you don't have to. If you have to, make sure that you are billing hourly.)

• 3. Re: Outlines with type
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I wouldn't recommend converting type to outlines, either, but I think what you are seeing is a change in position of the stroke relative to the path. Try either adding the stroke after conversion, or select the converted type, and change the stroke alignment to "outside" rather than "centered."

• 4. Re: Outlines with type
                mckayk_777 Level 2

There are two ways to achieve what you require.

One is to ad transparency to the job and output in hires as explained in this link

http://indesignsecrets.com/converting-text-to-outlines-the-right-way-updated.php

The over way is to have two layers of text if this outline is only needed on say headings

Bottom layer has the outline on it and has the same fill as the top layer, and the top layer just has the fill, you may have to experement with the sort of outline you use but its do able, but not the easiest by a long shot.

You will find the explaination on indesignsecrets the best way unless you are using indesign 5 - 5.5 not sure if it works with those versions

• 5. Re: Outlines with type
                  Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

mckayk_777 wrote:

You will find the explaination on indesignsecrets the best way unless you are using indesign 5 - 5.5 not sure if it works with those versions

If you own InDesign CS4 and set up your Transparency Flattener Preset there, you have a chance that the same preset will pop up in InDesign CS5 or CS5.5 and it will work fine. With new presets defined in CS5 or CS5.5 you are mostly out of luck.

Workarounds:

1. add transparency in Acrobat Pro and do the flattening/creating outlines there. If I recall it right some versions of Acrobat Pro 9 are buggy on that, so best try with Acrobat Pro X (not tested)

2. export to EPS (with bleeds intact) and do the flattening during export. Distill the EPS files (every single page = one EPS file) to PDF.

I cannot test #2 on my end, because my flattener preset is from InDesign CS4.

Uwe

• 6. Re: Outlines with type
                    Grant H Level 4

With new presets defined in CS5 or CS5.5 you are mostly out of luck.

huh? You can still create/define new presets in cs5 & cs5.5...

mcKayks way is how i would do it... (if i had to stroke/outline text)

G

• 7. Re: Outlines with type
                      Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

G wrote:

huh? You can still create/define new presets in cs5 & cs5.5...

@Grant – of course you can create new flattener presets. Same place like in InDesign CS4. The question is, if they will do what they supposed to do.

Uwe

• 8. Re: Outlines with type
                        Grant H Level 4

yes they will if exported correctly, to the correct pdf preset, that needs flattening (hence add something with transparency)

• 9. Re: Outlines with type
                          Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Grant I think that behaviour was changed in CS5 and CS5.5, not entirely sure of the whole story but something changed.

Tell your printer to deal with it as live type instead of outlines or you'll find someone who can... that's what I'd do.

• 10. Re: Outlines with type
                            Grant H Level 4

Hi Eugene... Ive got CS5.5 and tried it... works as i expected... no funnies...

No fonts, all outlined... ...

• 11. Re: Outlines with type

Since y'all are discussing the flattener technique, here's the full story on wahyt changed, and what you need to do in CS5 and later:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2897983#2897983

• 12. Re: Outlines with type
                                Grant H Level 4

well i did have a custom flattner preset that i use (for this) if need be... added a tiny coloured fill block with 50% opacity in the bleed... tried severl docs... all work fine..

• 13. Re: Outlines with type

Yes. As long as there is actually transparency on the page that interacts with the type the flattener will work, but that's far different from what happened in CS4 and earlier.