5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2012 2:53 PM by Steve Grisetti

Can I start a new Project in PAL 1080p at 25 fps.  I can see the 1080i option but not 1080p

artanddecco

Am just starting to use Premier Elements 10 for the very first time.  I wish to use a file that was sent to me by the  internet. I am told that the new project should be in 1080p format 25 fps. It is PAL video, so when I go to custom settings and select PAL, and then HDV because it is High Definition video, I only have two options... 720p and 1080i   So my question is, is it possible to get 1080p  ?   Any help and advise would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Can I start a new Project in PAL 1080p at 25 fps.  I can see the 1080i option but not 1080p
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

There is not 1080p AVCHD project option in Premiere Elements. Have you checked out the DSLR settings?

In any event, it would help tremendously to know what model of camcorder the original video was shot on. That way we can eliminate the possibility that the video was re-encoded by some third-party program into a format Premiere Elements can't edit.

• 2. Re: Can I start a new Project in PAL 1080p at 25 fps.  I can see the 1080i option but not 1080p
            artanddecco Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Just to fill in you on the picture, I 

have been using both the old and newer versions of iMovie for some 

years. (The older version is preferable over the new) but I would 

like to have my old 8mm Cine Digitized, so I can edit them and make 

DVD's.  Julien from Cine8Ireland can transform/digitize them for me 

and put them on a hard drive. However, because they would be HD 

quality, he recommended I change my Movie Editing Software to Adobe 

Premier Elements. I received PE10 and it works well with a bit of HD 

movie from a small digital camera, I was amazed how easy and quick it 

was to download it compared to iMovie.

As I am nervous about the quality of digitized movie that Julien will 

give me, I asked him for a sample of any 8mm he had digitized 

previously so I could play around with it and ensure I was going to 

be happy. I had expected that he would have put a DVD in the post 

that I could have processed, but instead he said it would be easier 

if he emailed me the file. Hence my problem getting PE to accept the 

file. I emailed Julien with a copy of your email and I enclose his 

reply :-

By the way, it is normal that the .avi file doesn't play in quicktime.

It would be better to view it on VLC media player which can be

downloaded free of charge.

I am investigating the reasons why Premiere Elements doesn't take it,

probably because Adobe didn't included the Mjpeg codec to the program.

The files are output by the Blackmagic Intensity Pro HD capture card,

from which we create PAL 1080p avi files in Mjpeg (= motion Jpeg).

Mjpeg is a relatively common HD codec used by several manufacturers, so

it is just a matter of getting that codec installed on your system.

Because there has been so much R&D in the HD world, there are a lot

more file formats, codecs and factors than for standard resolution

Mini-DV, which was normalized as everyone was using the same systems.

For every type one works with, it is just a matter of having the

corresponding codec installed on the system.

I will get back to you later on today or tomorrow with more information

and a solution to your issue.

Apologies for the inconvenience. Usually people editing their own

footage already have a variety of codecs installed on their system, but

I want to make sure this doesn't happen again by supplying customers

with little experience with a step by step guide on how to get started

editing without encountering such issues.

Kind regards

Julien

He also sent this email :-

In the meantime, you can try and download the 3.2 version of the

Blackmagic "Intensity Pro" drivers and see if you have any luck. I'm not

sure whether this will work if the blackmagic card is not installed but

it's worth a shot until Blackmagic give me the link to their codec for

mac.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/archive/?

Page=3&sid=3947&os=mac&pid=3989&custom=1&dlSeries=

I am not going to follow his second suggestion just yet, until he 

comes back to me with something more definite, or you come back with 

a solution,

PS Julien would make a good sales reprsentative for Adobe Premier 

Element !!

PPS When I tried to import to PE using 1080i I was informed  codec 

missing or unavailable.

Best regards

John

• 3. Re: Can I start a new Project in PAL 1080p at 25 fps.  I can see the 1080i option but not 1080p

One of the challenges of using a company like Cine Digitized to capture your video is that they're not always clear what format of video you need in order to edit it in a program like Premiere Elements. Not all MP4s are the, AVI are a terrible format for hi-def video (and must be of a specific codec in any event) and there are so many types of AVC out there that not even asking for an AVCHD file guarantees you'll get exactly what you need.

If Cine is providing you an editable hi-def video, the ideal format is a Main Concept MPEG at 1440x1080 anamorphic 25i. This type of video will edit perfectly in a project set up for HDV editing. (1440x1080 anamorphic video produces the same 16:9 as 1920x1080 square pixel video.)

These files should have M2T or M2TS as the suffix. Not MP4.

As an alternative, they can provide a 1920x1080 25i as AVCHD -- but they MUST use the Sony AVC codec or you're going to have problems. This type of video can be edited in a project set up for Full AVCHD.

Insist on either of these specs precisely! Close isn't good enough. You'll know they got it right because, when you set up the project using the settings I discussed above, you'll have no red lines above the clips when you add them to the timeline.

Remember, they work for you. Do not accept anything except what you need, and don't let them tell you that what they're giving you is good enough or, worse, that it's BETTER.

• 4. Re: Can I start a new Project in PAL 1080p at 25 fps.  I can see the 1080i option but not 1080p
                artanddecco Level 1

Hi Steve,

You say the ideal format for the digitization of my cine films is Main Concept MPEG at 1440x1080 anamorphic 25i. This type of video will edit perfectly in a project set up for HDV editing. (1440x1080 anamorphic video produces the same 16:9 as 1920x1080 square pixel video.) I have been offered a scanning system that produces 1920 x 1080 High Definition Mjpeg wrapped in avi container, which they say should import without issue into any editing package.  However, they say they can re-encode to HDV format if this suits me best.  If you were in my shoes, would you reject the Mjpeg wrapped in avi container, despite it being the higher quality, and accept the HDV.  I had asked this Scanning and Digitizing Company to quote for MPEG at 1440X1080, and their offer was Mjpeg or HDV. Is there different types of HDV formats, and do I have to insist on 1440X1080 anamorphic. Hope you can enlighten me further

Regards

John

• 5. Re: Can I start a new Project in PAL 1080p at 25 fps.  I can see the 1080i option but not 1080p

You want your hi-def video in the 1440x1080 HDV, not AVI format, Art.