6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2012 6:59 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere elements 10 crashes when I click on transitions

tmaldo

Hi all

I just purchased and installed PE10 on my laptop w/ Win 7 professional 64bit 16gig ram. I haven't been able to do a single project because as soon as I go into the edit menu and click on transitions, the program crashes. It doesn't crash on anything else in the edit menu. So its just a useless program. Is there a fix for this?

Tere

• 1. Re: Premiere elements 10 crashes when I click on transitions
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Not if it's a useless program.

Meantime, what model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format is it? How did you get your video onto your computer?

When you set up your Premiere Elements project, which settings did you select? If you selected the optimal settings for your source footage, you will not see red lines above the clips when you add them to the timeline. Is that the case in your project?

Do you render (press Enter) whenever see red lines above your clips?

How fast is your processor and how much free, clean, freshly defragmented space is on your hard drive? (New computers are a MESS of tmp files, fragmentation and bloatware.)

• 2. Re: Premiere elements 10 crashes when I click on transitions
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

When there are GUI issues, the vast majority of those revolve around obsolete video drivers.

As you have a laptop, you have a video chip on your MoBo, but the next part might, or might not, help.

Depending on your computer (what brand?), and the brand/model of the chip (what brand of chip and what model?), you can go to the chip mfgr's. Web site, or the Web site of the computer mfgr., say HP, Dell, Lenovo, Toshiba, etc., and get the latest video driver. What is the number/date of your installed video driver?

Note: simple things, like an OS update, or hot-fix, can render your video driver obsolete. Also, and especially if the computer is new, the video driver is most likely well out of date.

Please let us know a bit more about the Video Display sub-system, and the driver that you have installed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere elements 10 crashes when I click on transitions
              tmaldo Level 1

Hi Steve

Thanks for responding to my question. I just wanted to take video clips that were already on my computer in mp4 format and group them together and place them on a dvd to be viewed on a tv. I selected the settings that said videos from your hard drive when I opened a new project. I didn't render anything cause I haven't gotten that far. I didn't see any red lines.

I actually got a customized business latptop w/o bloatware. I had to install software that is standard on most laptops like adobe reader. I have an HP elitebook 8540w with 2 500 gig hard drives that's about 1 yr old. The C drive is only 1/4 full. I store files like music, ebooks etc on my D drive.

I've used premiere elements  versions 5 & 6 on my old computers and had no trouble with it. Versions after that started crashing on me. I thought that this new version might work better on a newer computer.

I did some tutorials to learn about new features. I was finally able to access the transitions only if I right click on the spots between the storyboards. If I click on transitions in the edit menu it either crashes or just says "loading" and never loads. So I can't see any previews of the transitions. I have to apply them and then undo if I don't like it.

Tere

• 4. Re: Premiere elements 10 crashes when I click on transitions
                tmaldo Level 1

Hi Mr Hunt

Thanks for responding. You're probably right about the outdated video driver. I haven't had good luck updating video drivers. When I've tried it in the past, it messed up my display and I was forced to revert to the old driver.

I have an HP elitebook 8540w with a dream color display. It is an i7 cpu Q840 @ 1.87 Ghz,  NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800M. I haven't updated the video drivers. I can check to see if there is an updated one on the HP website.

Thanks.

Tere

• 5. Re: Premiere elements 10 crashes when I click on transitions
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You should pick up your video drive from the ATI or nVidia web site, depending on which brand of graphics card you have.

• 6. Re: Premiere elements 10 crashes when I click on transitions
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Thank you for the info. In the case of an HP (same for Dell, and some others), I would start on their Web site first. HP and Dell are pretty good taking the mfgr's. video driver (nVidia in this case), and tweaking it, as is necessary for 100% performance on their machines. If HP does not have an updated driver for your nVidia Quadro M, then head to the nVidia Web site, go to the Download Drivers tab, plug in your model of card, and your OS. Download the driver, but be sure to read the installation instructions carefully. With Quadro cards, this is very important. Normally, a video driver update is simple, and involves only downloading the driver, and running its executable, usually an EXE. However, I have seen some variations to that with my Quadro 4500 FX cards, where I had to first go to the nVidia console and make certain changes there first. THEN, I just ran the executable. I have seen that three times, where normally, it's just a plain run ececutable - depends on the exact driver version.

I ALWAYS create a System Restore Ponit, for NOW, before doing any driver updates. If that driver is a problem, then it's easy to just roll-back via the System Restore Point.

Good luck,

Hunt