7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2012 3:52 AM by timothySimonAugustine

License transfer from USA to India

timothySimonAugustine

Hi there,

My name is Timothy. I'm currently a hobbyist digital artist but would like to go professional. So am practicing a lot. I, at the moment, use gimp for all my texturing work and would like to switch to PS. More because it is an industry staple than with me having issues with gimp. I found a couple of older version in Amazon.us and the prices seemed favourable (compared to CS5's) so wouldn't mind ordering one of them. But my question is, would there be a license problem? With what I might be ordering an American version and actually using it in India? Or is it legit?

Thanking you in advance for any help,

Timothy Augustine.

• 1. Re: License transfer from USA to India
          Charlie.D Adobe Employee

Hi Timothy

This specific forum serves Photoshop.com, an online site and service, not the Photoshop CS product.  I'll move your question to the right forum for you.

• 2. Re: License transfer from USA to India
            timothySimonAugustine Level 1

Hi Charlie! I beg your pardon. I should have done more research before posting! Thanks!

• 3. Re: License transfer from USA to India
              Charlie.D Adobe Employee

It’s not a problem.  I just wanted to steer you in the right direction, especially if you have other questions to post in the future.

• 4. Re: License transfer from USA to India
                acresofgreen Level 4

My understanding is that if you buy a US version in the US, you are the licensed user and can use the software whereever you like.  But authorized sellers won't sell the US Adobe software outside the US.  I live outside the US and if I look at Adobe software sold by Amazon direct, I get a message telling me that Amazon can't ship the software to my default shipping address.

Regardless of the licensing question, I would not advise buying an old version of Photoshop at Amazon.com.  The offers you see are from sellers not affiliated with Amazon who are just using the Amazon marketplace for selling their products. They are not authorized sellers and you have no guarantee that the software is original software.  And some of the prices are ridiculous - I see someone selling Photoshop 7 for $689 when Amazon is selling the newest version CS5 for $656.

• 5. Re: License transfer from USA to India

Thank you for the reply! Yes, you do make a point. I decided to check Amazon out after I found a copy of CS2 for around 200 dollars. Not an unreasonable amount in Indian Rupees at all (compared to that of CS5). I was not even considering buying PS before. Would you happen to know of any place where I can find an authentic older version? Or a place where I buy an old license (I know from reading other forum entries that this is very difficult)?

Thank you again for your help,

T.

• 6. Re: License transfer from USA to India
                    acresofgreen Level 4

I can't help you with a source for older versions.  The problem is, if the seller is not an authorized seller, you have no idea where they got the software.  Many re-sellers sell pirated copies and don't even know they're pirated. If you are willing to take that risk you just might as well look for a source closer to home.   You could look them up one by one, but most likely they will be carrying the newest version.

If you're happy with Gimp, why not just stick with it?  I personally would rather do that than spend a lot of money on an outdated version of Photoshop.

• 7. Re: License transfer from USA to India

Yes, getting it this way does seem risky. The only safe option seems to be that I have a licence transfer. The seller has to initiate the transaction though Adobe itself. So that would be safe. But I dare say I'll be hard pressed to find someone selling their old license here in India. Rather than upgrading that is.

Yes, I'm happy with Gimp because I've not used any other picture editing software before. I just wanted to learn to use PS because it is the staple when if comes to the CG industry. Wish there would be a PLE of sorts soon

Thanks for your time and help,

Much appreciated,

T.