18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2012 12:26 PM by JABost1

Premiere is treating a movie clip as a video with no audio

JABost1

I'm using Premiere Elements 9.  I have a large (30GB) movie clip on my hard drive that plays just fine in Windows Media Player.  There is both video and audio.  However when I add this file to my project in Premiere Elements, Premiere Elements interprets this file as video only (i.e. the media type in the project view is "video" instead of "movie").  As a result, there is no sound when I play the clip within Premiere or eventually burn the clip to a DVD.

How can I get Premiere to recognize this flie as a movie, with both video and audio?

• 1. Re: Premiere is treating a movie clip as a video with no audio
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What model of camcorder did this video clip come from and what format is it?

What audio and video codecs are listed when you open the file in a program like G Spot or Media Info?

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

When you started your Premiere Elements project, which settings did you select?

What operating system are you using?

• 2. Re: Premiere is treating a movie clip as a video with no audio
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Knowing the full specs. of that Video file, will likely tell the story. This ARTICLE goes into more detail on what can be inside a Video file, and how to get that info. The more info, the better.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere is treating a movie clip as a video with no audio
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Now, along with that information about your particular file, do you get Audio in your PrE?

As a test, Import a simple WAV file, say just one of the System Sounds, that you know is good. Drag it to the Timeline, and hit play. Do you hear that WAV file?

If not, please report, and we can go from there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Premiere is treating a movie clip as a video with no audio
                JABost1 Level 1

Steve & Bill, thank you for your posts.  I'm a relatively new user to Premiere Elements 9, but let me explain what I am trying to do.

I have sporting events that I recorded on my TiVo in HD and ultimately I want to burn them to blu-ray using Premiere Elements.  I successfully transferred the recordings from my TiVo to my PC, using the TiVo desktop software.  I realize that the resulting .Tivo files have some type of encryption or copy protection on them, and although I can play them in Widwos Media Player, Premiere won't recognize them.

So I have another program called Aunsoft Video Converter that converts .Tivo into a number of different formats. I've tried a couple of outputs formats, but ideally I don't want to lose the HD video quality.  One of the output formats I've been using is .mpg.  See the screen shot below.

Aunsoft screen shot.jpg

The conversion seems to work well.  The resulting .mpg file is about the same size as the .Tivo file, and it plays perfectly in Windows Media Player.

I can import the .mpg file into Premiere, but I'm getting varying results.  Sometimes Premiere imports it as a "video" instead of a "movie", and there is no sound when I play it back in the Premiere monitor.  If I trim the file and make it smaller (i.e. ~22 GB) it imports as a "movie", but the video and the crowd noise play back, but the announcers' audio is missing.

For reference, here's the specs of my PC and of the video file.  I will download G Spot later today to look at the file in more detail and post it here.

PC Specifications

Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64bit)

Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz

12GB RAM

EVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

LG WH10LS30 10X Blu-ray Burner - LightScribe Support

File Properties in Premiere

Type: MPEG Movie

File Size: 22.0GB

Image Size: 1280x720 (not sure why this isn't 1080)

Pixel Depth: 32

FRame Rate: 59.94

Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - 6 channels

Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - 6 channels

Total Duration: 03;40;19;53

Average Data Rate: 1.7 MB/second

Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0

Thanks,

Joe A.

• 5. Re: Premiere is treating a movie clip as a video with no audio
                  JABost1 Level 1

Here's a brief update.

I deleted the file from my project and re-added it.  It is showing as a "movie" in my project view, and if I double click it from the Organize\Project view, it plays fine in the small pop-up preview window.  Video and all audio are there.

If I drag the movie to the timeline, it loses the announcers' voices when I play it from the timeline.  Is there a way for me to examine the audio and have all audio channels play on the timeline?

• 6. Re: Premiere is treating a movie clip as a video with no audio
                    nealeh Level 5

Did you select 5:1 audio when setting up your PRE project?

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Premiere is treating a movie clip as a video with no audio
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

I would run one of those files through MediaInfo, and post the specs., especially the Audio. That will also give us the info on the Video and Audio CODEC's used.

It sounds almost like the Audio is some flavor of 5.1, and the Center Channel is not coming through, but that is only a guess.

With non-camera material, it is often an R & D project, trying first one workflow, and then another.

I have worked with TiVo-type material, but in that case, it was SD material, and I just hooked the client's box (think it was Direct TV Recorder?), ot my Canopus ADVC-300, and did a Capture directly from that recorder box, into PrPro. That Captured material (DV-AVI) edited fine - those were his wife's appearances on several cooking and news shows, to get her a demo-reel. In his case, there was no copy-protection, and the Audio was analog 2-channel. Unfortunately, with the exception of that one series of Projects, I really have never worked with TiVo material, but maybe others have.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Premiere is treating a movie clip as a video with no audio

Unfortunately, converters don't always produce video that feeds well into video editors. And this may be the case here.

But without looking deeper at the specs, I'm not sure what to recommend.

Is your source video hi-def or standard TV?

And what do you ultimately plan to do with your video? Burn it to DVD or BluRay? Upload it to YouTube? Put it on an iPad or iPod? Knowing this, we'll be in a better position to recommend a workflow.

• 9. Re: Premiere is treating a movie clip as a video with no audio
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Looks like we had some very similar thoughts, regarding multi-channel Audio.

I had similar issues with my master bedrom home theater. It was full DD 5.1 SS, and in the bedroom, was great. We had  the output fed into the master bath, but only into two speakers. Those only played the RF and LF, with no Rs, Ls, Center, or LFE. What would happen was that DD 5.1 SS was greatly attenuated, and often only had things like crowd news. Then when an analog commercial would come on, it would blare out loudly. A different receiver with two stages of amps, and different multi-channel handling, fixed that. At last, my wife could hear the TV, and not JUST the commercials!

Hunt

• 10. Re: Premiere is treating a movie clip as a video with no audio
                            JABost1 Level 1

Neale,

I selected NTSC-AVCHD-Full HD 1080i 30 5.1 channel 5:1 audio when I set up the project.  But when I drag the movie to the timeline, I get a message that my project settings don't match the clip, and it offers to change the project settings automatically (which I did).

Is there a way for me to manually set the project audio to 5:1?

• 11. Re: Premiere is treating a movie clip as a video with no audio
                              JABost1 Level 1

Here's the analysis from GSpot

GSpot details.JPG

• 12. Re: Premiere is treating a movie clip as a video with no audio
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, it does appear that you have 6-channel DD AC3 Audio.

Now, since you have HD-lite, and not full HD (do not know why you do not have 1080, but it could be that you are not hooked up via and HDMI cable?), so are only getting 720. Just do not know the TiVo devices.

Good luck, and maybe others will have more useful info on the DD 5.1 SS Audio Presets.

Thanks for the G-Spot info too.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Premiere is treating a movie clip as a video with no audio
                                  nealeh Level 5

From the analysis the clip is 1280 x 720 with six channel sound encased in a VOB wrapper. PRE only offers 5:1 sound with AVCHD options and VOB's are best imported using the hard disk camcorder settings so you're on a loser straight away.

I'm not familiar with the conversion software you are using but if there's an option to convert the audio to stereo try it out - as PRE can't output 5:1 sound anyway it will get converted to stereo somewhere along the workflow.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 14. Re: Premiere is treating a movie clip as a video with no audio
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Neale,

Thank you for that info. When doing work with DD 5.1 SS, I am always working in PrPro, so that I CAN Export with DD 5.1 SS, through the SurCode DD 5.1 SS plug-in, so I have no experience with how PrE might/might not handle it, and which Presets will accept it. Now I know.

Appreciated,

Hunt

• 15. Re: Premiere is treating a movie clip as a video with no audio
                                      JABost1 Level 1

Thank for your all of your posts and recommendations.  Your tips and suggestions helped me find a solution, which I want to share here.

First, NealeH helped me recognize that my original movie was recorded in 720p, which is why the resolution was 1280x720.  So I created a new project in Premiere using the AVCHD 720p 59.94 frames/sec preset.  This helped me ensure that my video would match the project, and it eliminated the prompt that I was getting saying that my video didn't match my project settings.

Second, the posts above helped me determine that my movie clip has 5.1 sound.  When I place the movie onto the Timeline, I need to ensure that the audio is placed on a track that is configured for 5.1 sound.  Based on the preset I used, Audio 1 (i.e. the "master audio track") is stereo, not 5.1.  I didn't originally realize this, and I had always placed my movie on Video 1 and Audio 1, thinking that the audio track would automatically configure itself.  This is not how it works.

I had to expand each audio track to see which ones are 5.1. See the image and note the small 5.1 indicator on Audio 3.  If the audio from my movie is placed on Audio 1, I lose the center channel.  But if I put the audio on Audio 3, all channels are audible.  I had a tough time finding this little indicator but once I found it, it solved my audio problems.

Audio 5.1.JPG

I still don't know how to modify an existing audio track to change it from stereo to 5.1, but if you select the right preset at the beginning, you can get several audio tracks and simply move your movie audio to whatever track is appropriate.

Finally, my original question on this whole thread was that Premiere was not recognizing my movie clip as a movie (it was recognizing it as video only).  I'm not sure what caused this, but I'm finding that if I can keep the movie file size under 30GB, Premiere usually recognizes it properly as a movie (with video and audio).

• 16. Re: Premiere is treating a movie clip as a video with no audio
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you found the answers, and a viable workflow. Thank you for reporting, as it will likely help others with similar situations.

As for the 5.1 SS, as PrE can ONLY Export to 2-channel (Stereo), it will automatically mix-down from the 5.1, but should do that well, and get the Center Channel (what you are lookng for).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: Premiere is treating a movie clip as a video with no audio

I've been experimenting with the Aunsoft converter, and it's one of the best converters I've found! If you use the correct settings, your files will edit in Premiere Elements.

Please answer my question above and I'll be able to tell you how you can convert it to an editable file.

• 18. Re: Premiere is treating a movie clip as a video with no audio
                                            JABost1 Level 1

Steve,

I recorded HD broadcasts from cable TV onto my Tivo DVR.  My objective is to burn and permanently save these on blu-ray discs, and retain the best quality possible.

Once I transferred the video from my Tivo to my PC, I use the Aunsoft Video Converter to convert Tivo files into something that Premiere Elements can recognize and import.  So far, I've had the best results using the Remux to MPEG-PS video setting.  It seems to convert without losing any quality, and it is one of the few settings that does not cause the audio and video to get out of sync.

Aunsoft Video Converter is a bit testy though.  There are some functions that don't always work, such as trimming a video.  Sometimes I need to trim the video into multiple smaller pieces, because Premiere Elements has difficulty recognizing a large movie as a "movie".  If I have a large file (25-30GB), Premiere Elements strangely sees this as a "video" with no sound, rather than a "movie".  Aunsoft Video Converter doesn't always trim properly, which makes it difficult for me to break a long movie file into several smaller ones.  If I can get it to work, then the rest of my workflow seems to work fine.