5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2012 8:36 AM by Jim_Simon

"Video Filter Missing": PR.ADBE Camera Blur on MacOS

cultureofdestruction

I've got a project that has been edited on Premiere Pro CS5.5 on a PC, but I've been asked to deliver a ProRes 422 file. So I put the entire project onto an external hard drive, plugged it into a Mac with Premiere Pro CS5.5 and tried to open it. After giving me a warning that GPU accelerated Mercury Playback is not available (as expected), it then gives me this error message:

Video Filter Missing: PR.ADBE Camera Blur

Premiere Pro CS5.5 is at version 5.5.2 on both the original PC and the Mac. I've tried it on a second Mac, also with 5.5.2, and got the same error - however it will load successfully on another PC, even with version 5.5.0. So I'm starting to think that it's a Windows/MacOS issue, unless both MacOS installs are somehow corrupt.

Does anyone have any idea about this and what I could do to fix it?

• 1. Re: "Video Filter Missing": PR.ADBE Camera Blur on MacOS
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Macs do not have all the same effects as the PC version.

• 2. Re: "Video Filter Missing": PR.ADBE Camera Blur on MacOS
            cultureofdestruction Level 1

Okay, thanks, that's good to know. Answers on other threads have suggested doing a repair install, which I didn't feel was necessary if the same problem was occurring on two Macs. But if the Mac version of Premiere Pro just doesn't have Camera Blur, then that would explain its absence.

But what would the fix be? Is there a equivalent effect with a different name in the Mac version? Would I need to find any instances of the Camera Blur effect being used in my project and replace them with this effect, or would Premiere do that for me automatically?
            I've had to use XML files to exchange sequences between Final Cut Pro and Premiere Pro plenty of times in the past, and that always results in an error log listing instances where effects can't be found. With this Premiere Pro project, I get the warning, but no error log. I will start combing through the project for any missing effects!

• 3. Re: "Video Filter Missing": PR.ADBE Camera Blur on MacOS
              Jim_Simon Level 8
              But what would the fix be?

[Inflammatory anti-Mac comments deleted]

You might try exporting out an Uncompressed MOV from the PC.  That'll bake the effects in, and you can then bring that over to the Mac to create the ProRes version.

• 4. Re: "Video Filter Missing": PR.ADBE Camera Blur on MacOS
                cultureofdestruction Level 1

I totally agree. My first thought was exactly what you said in your [Inflammatory anti-Mac comments] - I was told to deliver a ProRes file, I explained that I had edited the project on a PC and so couldn't export directly to a ProRes file, because you can't encode ProRes in Windows, but I could export to just about any other file type. I was told that it had to be ProRes, because that's all they were able to work with.

I couldn't be bothered to argue with that, so my second thought was what you have suggested - but unfortunately an uncompressed MOV is too large to fit onto any external hard drive I have to hand at present - it would be about twice the size of the entire project, rushes and all, so that led me to the idea of just copying the project onto an external drive, loading it up in Premiere Pro on a Mac and exporting it from there, cutting out the middle step and saving hours of time.

I still think this is the best course of action - my only concern at the moment is that I can't remember whether I've used the Camera Blur effect in the project or not. I'm assuming, from the fact that the message popped up, that I have, so it's just a case of finding out where and making sure it still looks okay without it, or find an alternative.

Failing that, I'll just have to organise my external drives until I have enough space for an uncompressed MOV, even if I have to export and convert half of the video at a time and join it together at the end.

• 5. Re: "Video Filter Missing": PR.ADBE Camera Blur on MacOS
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I was told that it had to be ProRes, because that's all they were able to work with.

Well, there is always the option of leaving it up to the guys who are creating the problem to solve it themselves.

Of course, that may not be the best way to earn repeat business.

Another option might be to install the free UT codec on your system.  That will allow you to create a lossless export.  The file will be smaller than full Uncompressed, but because the compression is lossless, there won't be any image degradation.

I understand that UT can now be installed on a Mac as well to read such a file.  That would allow you to open it and make the conversion.