10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2012 1:50 PM by Graham Hermon

Font Issue - Adobe Garamond Pro

Graham Hermon Level 1

After buying InDesign and some other Adobe products, I was given the benefit of a 'goody' from Adobe.  One I chose was a Font Family called Adobe Garamond Pro.

I happily used this font in a newsletter August 2011.  Not a problem.  Then this year when I was starting to produce the same newsletter for February, I was going to use the August issue as a template, only to find that all the text was greyed out and a report that the font Adobe Garamond Pro was not available.

I looked in my font folder and there it still was.  More recently I have had to install a new C: Drive, so I made sure I installed the font, but again it is now unusable?  So I have had to use a similar font 'Adobe Garamond'.

So much for the 'goody' from Adobe.  I wonder if anyone else has had the same issue with this font?

• 1. Re: Font Issue - Adobe Garamond Pro
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You may be confused about the font. Thre freebie was, if memory serves, Garamond Premiere Pro. At least some weights of Adobe Garamond Pro would have been included in the installer for ID and Illustrator. These are not the same font (there are quite a few "garamonds" out there). Do you still have the installation media for the applications and the the downloaded font files? You should be able to re-install.

• 2. Re: Font Issue - Adobe Garamond Pro
            Graham Hermon Level 1

Hi Peter.  No, it was definitely Adobe Garamond Pro.  I still have the Zip file that it came in.  Reinstalling has not made any difference.

• 3. Re: Font Issue - Adobe Garamond Pro

Try searching for and deleting all Adobefnt*.lst  files where the * wildcard returns a two-digit number, like Adobefnt13.lst.

• 4. Re: Font Issue - Adobe Garamond Pro
                Graham Hermon Level 1

Hi Peter, I found some as you described under the path of my housemates username ending with Adobe Dsitiller.  What effect will deleting these have as you don't say?

• 5. Re: Font Issue - Adobe Garamond Pro

Use the Windows search in Explorer, not a manual search, and set Computer as the search directory so you find them all. There should be files every Adobe application and every user if that user has accessed the application. These are font list files that tell the applications which files are installed. They'll get rebuilt automatically the next time the application is launched. DO NOT delete any of these files except the ones that end in two digits and .lst.

• 6. Re: Font Issue - Adobe Garamond Pro
                    CindyMotsinger

Double check to make sure all the files in zip installed to C/Windows/Fonts. If you are on an older version of CS, it may be that you have the font and it doesn't know it. You can use usage to do a "replace" but you are actually just replacing with the same thing. Its a glitch I experience a few times when the servers we stored fonts on crashed a few times. I also had to check Suitcase/Distiller settings. You may also use these if you have a complicated or older system. If this is the case, let me know, I may have more suggestions on fixing that.

• 7. Re: Font Issue - Adobe Garamond Pro
                      Graham Hermon Level 1

Hi Peter.  I did a search and deleted the files as you suggested.  I've been a bit busy doing another DTP job, hence my late response to your helpful reply.  In InDesign, I now have access to the Adobe Garamond Pro font, BUT it only lists the following styles as being available:

Regular

Italic

Bold

Bold Italic  But, it excludes....

Semibold &

Semibold Italic

I have the file available still that I downloaded and when I try to install AdobeTextPro-Semibold.otf and AdobeTextPro-SemiboldIt.otf it states that these fonts are already installed and do I want to reinstall.  I have tried both, but the styles do not show up under the Adobe Garamond Pro font?  This is all rather beyond me, but when these fonts are not available it is very frustrating when you have used them in the past to produce a document.

• 8. Re: Font Issue - Adobe Garamond Pro

Look to see if there are mutiple listings in the font dropdown that have Adobe Garamond Pro in them. It might be split.

And Adobe Text Pro would not show under the garamonds. It's a separate family.

• 9. Re: Font Issue - Adobe Garamond Pro
                          Graham Hermon Level 1

Hi Peter.  Yes the filename odes give the name Text pro, but I'm absolutely certain that as it's the only Garamond file I have downloaded, that is where my Garamond Pro came from.  Anyway, within InDesign under the font listings I have the following.

Firstly. a lower case letter 'a' in red followed by a font title 'Adobe Garamond'.  This font has loads and loads of styles available, including all the ones I used to have on my last PC hard drive and more besides.  Presumably the Red lower case 'a' is a particular type of font as against a TTF [true type font] for example?

Secondly a lower case 'o' followed by a font title 'Garamond'.  This has styles NormalA, regular, italic, Bold & Bold Italic available.

Thirdly, a lower case 'o' followed by a font title 'Adobe Garamond Pro'.  This has Regular, Italic, Bold & Bold Italic.  NOT the Semibold and Semibold Italic I am missing.

I assume that the small case 'o' means they are an open type font?

I would like to get the Adobe Garamond Pro font styles semibold and Semibold Italic loaded if ever possible.

• 10. Re: Font Issue - Adobe Garamond Pro
                            Graham Hermon Level 1

Hi Peter.  I have resolved the problem by doing a search on the Net for the files I needed.  I have managed to download them and installed the two missing styles.  All is well.

What I must do tomorrow on my day off is set a back up of all my font files.

Many thanks for your help and suggestions.