5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2012 8:25 AM by madmike1286

Imported Objects Disappear After Saving

madmike1286

I have been working on a project into which I've imported 4 Illustrator objects (If you look at the first image below, the objects are a lightpost, two figures, the word StoryFirst and the word Media). I saved the 4 objects as separate files in Illustrator and then imported each one as "Composition" while leaving the "Illustrator/PDF/EPS Sequence" box unchecked.

417676_10150529573461158_783526096_n.jpg

After saving the AE project last night, I reopened the project this morning and found this:

Missing.jpg

As you can see, the lightpost and figures objects are still visible in the composition pane, but the StoryFirst and Media objects have disappeared. The files are still listed in the project pane, however, and you can still select the object layers in the timeline and you will get the object wireframes in the composition pane as if they were still there, but the actual objects themselves are no longer visible. As you can see in the picture, when I select a layer of the StoryFirst object in the project pane, the mini-preview in the upper left corner doesn't even display it.

I've tried closing and reopening the project a few times as well as toggling on and off the eye switch on each layer in the timeline, both to no avail. I also tried right clicking on each layer and choosing "Replace File" and bringing everything back in again new. This makes the objects reappear at the moment I have the project open, but as soon as I save the project again, close it and reopen it, they've disappeared again! All object files are in the same place in my hard drive as they've always been. AE never prompted me with an error message that it couldn't locate files. This is a very bizarre problem I've never encountered before.

Any help in solving this mystery would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Michael

Founder/Director, StoryFirst Media

www.storyfirstmedia.com

• 1. Re: Imported Objects Disappear After Saving
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

That's probably more of an issue in Illustrator.... Could be something with your layer nesting/ groups or some otehr specific stuff. I do remember, though, that AE somehow doesn't get along with some AI files due to some ugly bugs in CS4/ CS5. In that case I usually save the AIs to an older version (CS3) and it wil lwork just fine.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Imported Objects Disappear After Saving
            madmike1286 Level 1

Thanks for the reply, Mylenium.

I'll try resaving the AIs as classic files (CS3) and see if that works. You say however that the problem is more likely "an issue in Illustrator." I am very new to Illustrator, so saying it might have something to do with "layer nesting/groups or other specific stuff" sounds like a foreign language to me, haha. Are you able to be more specific (and keep in mind I'm a layman in this case)? You sound like you know what you're talking about.

Again, thanks for the speedy reply!

Michael

www.storyfirstmedia.com

• 3. Re: Imported Objects Disappear After Saving
              madmike1286 Level 1

Nevermind, Mylenium! You figured it out! I resaved the AI as CS3 and it worked! What a weird bug. What is that all about?

Thanks again, Mylenium!

Michael

www.storyfirstmedia.com

• 4. Re: Imported Objects Disappear After Saving
                Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

In AI, check your layers palette and inspect the structure of your groups. There may be odd combinations of e.g. groups with empty clipping masks (that cover the entire artboard and are only there, because the graphics were imported from a legacy version of AI or another program). That could lead to misinterpretation where then AE would clip the entire artwork. Similarly, look for things like Livepaint groups or live pathfinder groups. Same for art brushes, pattern brushes, pattern fills etc. In case of doubt, always do an Object --> Expand, then select the artwork and choose "Release Clipping mask". Often a bit optimization will do wonders. Also, one thing that came to mind after I wrote my last reply, is to check your swatches. Since AE operates in RGB mode only, it may not deal correctly with spot color swatches (Pantone) and CMYK swatches...

Mylenium

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Imported Objects Disappear After Saving
                  madmike1286 Level 1

Awesome, man. Thanks so much for your help. You've helped me learn a bunch in a short period of time this morning.

Michael

www.storyfirstmedia.com