6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2012 8:30 PM by lilia@

Re-size multiple object on different master pages

indenial68

I have to resize a large 100 page existing document to A5 from 178mm x 200mm which  has about 20 masters.Each page has a solid colour in the background. I have resized the pages but need to know if there is a quick way of resizing the objects.  I have looked in object styles but there is no option to set dimensions in the style. Is there a way of doing this quickly rather than copying and pasting the resized objects into each master.

• 1. Re: Re-size multiple object on different master pages
          Grant H Level 4

are the backround colours all different?

• 2. Re: Re-size multiple object on different master pages
            Grant H Level 4

anyway... you should have created the masters based on a master with a background... that way even if you change the color on a few pages and resize the master it will update the size and leave the colour as is...

You can create a new master... base all the othesr masters on it, create a backgroung on a higer layer as the others...

G

• 3. Re: Re-size multiple object on different master pages
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You haven't provided nearly enough details about how the master pages are set up, or what you've done to resize the pages, so it's pretty hard to give good advice. Activating Layout Adjustment BEFORE changing the page sizes might have taken care of the problem automatically (but Layout Adjustment is quirky and there might be other unintended consequences I can't forsee without more details about the layout). The other reaction I have is why are you not siomply adjusting these objects on the master page?

• 4. Re: Re-size multiple object on different master pages
                indenial68 Level 1

I did not set up the original document so I have no idea how masters were set up. At the moment I have used the page tool in the master pages to resize (I am relatively new to CS5 so just learning new features I hasten to add!!) I did intend to adjust these objects on the master page but there are at least 20 masters of facing page spreads so 40 odd pages and I thought there might be an easier way to do it than manually resizing each background box by deleting the old one and pasting in the new one on each page. they are the same colour and size.

• 5. Re: Re-size multiple object on different master pages
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sometimes I wish they hadn't added the page tool. Sigh.

If you are trying to resize the entire document, the best way is to do it Document Setup. There's no reason to delete anything, really. Just resize what's there. If any masters are based on others, they should update as well, but you can also use the Object > Transform Again > Transform Sequence Again to repeat the last set of transforamtions on a new object. This may not actually be faster than just dragging the control handles unless you use a keyboard shorcut, but if you have more than one object on your spread that needs the same transformation, the Transform Sequence Again Individually will allow you to select them all at once and transform them in one step.

• 6. Re: Re-size multiple object on different master pages
                    lilia@ Level 2

I agree with Peter... Layout adjustment might work, using document setup and that more information is always a good thing... but since you have lots of masters... why not base one master on another... creating parent/child relationships... when you change the parent master the child masters will also change.