4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2012 1:30 PM by lilia@

How to import layers into a single doc and vice versa

Medway2012

Some printers are requesting layered files for lasering etc., however with large project this proves to be a production issue.

1. Can we create each item as a single doc, then whe all complete combine onto individual layers for the printer?

ie. Doc caled 'A' with its respective conrtent placed onto a layer, Doc called B with its respective content placed on a layer 'B'?

Thanks in advance.

John

• 1. Re: How to import layers into a single doc and vice versa
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Do you mean multiple layers on one page, multiple layers on multiple pages? How may objects/layers?

My initial reaction to this questionis that you need to create the layered file from the start and make the pages as they need to look at the final output. You could create a bunch of single files, then place them onto differnt layers in a new file, but I'm not sure what the point would be unless you also plan to output the single files separately. If you need a layered file for the printer, export to Acrobat 6 or higher compatibility and check Create Acrobat Layers in the export dialog.

• 2. Re: How to import layers into a single doc and vice versa
            Medway2012 Level 1

Peter, Sorry to be late in relying. Let me try to explain clearer.

A client has a printer who will print their catalogue.brochure/door drop leaflets.

The printer has requested that each section/store to be on a separate layer, unfortunately this means only one person can work on this document at any one time.

I am hoping that there is a way to produce all of the catalogue/store/sections as individual Indesign files and then place each on its own layer in a new document. The docs will contain lasering text as well.

Is that a beter explanation?

John

• 3. Re: How to import layers into a single doc and vice versa
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sort of. I don't really understand the printer's needs here, but one possiblility would be to creat separate docs for each vendor. They can each contain a single layer, or multiple layers. The key is that everything that needs to reamain isolated for a particular vendor needs to be on alayer with a unique name not shared with any other document. You can then use the Move Pages command to combine the various documents into one multipage document, and layers will be preserved. Does that do what you want, or do you need to have a single page on which you can show/hide layers for each vendor?

• 4. Re: How to import layers into a single doc and vice versa
                lilia@ Level 2

Makes no sense to request different layers... think about it? It looks to me like what they are really requesting is separate pages in 1 document.

Most clients don't use the technical terms correctly if they know them at all... that's our job.

I would ask for the printer's name and phone number and contact them myself.