5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2012 10:15 AM by patrickmhart66

Choppy video

patrickmhart66

I am having problems with editing my videos in elements premire 10. I use a kodak ez-share max .  When I try to view the video it is verry choppy, any ideas ?

• 1. Re: Choppy video
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

• First,what are the specs. of your Project Preset, chosen at New Project?
          • Then, what are the specs. of the files from the Kodak? The Project's Preset needs to match those very, very closely.
          • How are you Importing the Kodak's video files into the Project?
          • When you drag one of those Imported Clips to the Timeline, is there a red line above them? If the Clips match the Project's Preset, there should not be a red line above them, unless you have added some sort of overlay, like a Title, or a PiP (Picture in Picture), or have added an Effect.
          • If so, hit Enter to Render the Timeline, for smoothest playback.
          • If the Rendering does not yield smooth playback, please give us the full specs. of your computer, including the CPU's speed and number of cores, and also the speed of your HDD's.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Choppy video
            patrickmhart66 Level 1

I will check all these, Thanks for the quick reply

• 3. Re: Choppy video
              patrickmhart66 Level 1

This is what I have found.

• First, what are the specs. of your Project Preset, chosen at New Project?   NTSC-Hard Disk, Flash memory Camcorder-full HD 1080i 30
              • Then, what are the specs. of the files from the Kodak? The Project's Preset needs to match those very, very closely.   NTSC HD 1080p
              • How are you Importing the Kodak's video files into the Project?   I have downloaded my files from the sd memory card in the camera directly into my laptop.
              • When you drag one of those Imported Clips to the Timeline, is there a red line above them? If the Clips match the Project's Preset, there should not be a red line above them, unless you have added some sort of overlay, like a Title, or a PiP (Picture in Picture), or have added an Effect.   I do not see a red line above clips.
              • If so, hit Enter to Render the Timeline, for smoothest playback.
              • If the Rendering does not yield smooth playback, please give us the full specs. of your computer, including the CPU's speed and number of cores, and also the speed of your HDD's.
              • Processor , Intel(R) Core(TM) i5

CPU M 460 @

1. 2.53GHz 2.53GHz
                • System type, 64-bit
              • 4. Re: Choppy video
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The first thing I see is that you say your video is 1080i but your project is 1080p... that is a mismatch

Also, a standard laptop has a single hard drive, usually at 5400rpm

You need to have a separate 7200rpm hard drive for all of your video files

My 3 hard drives are configured as...

1 - 320Gig Boot for Win7 64bit Pro and all program installs

2 - 320Gig data for Win7 swap file and video project files

When I create a project on #2 drive, the various work files follow,

so my boot drive is not used for the media cache folder and files

3 - 1Terabyte data for all video files... input & output files (*)

(*) for 4 drives, drive 3 all source files & drive 4 all output files

Search Microsoft to find out how to redirect your Windows swap file

http://search.microsoft.com/search.aspx?mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US

Trying to use only ONE Hard Drive for Video Editing

You are a music conductor, with a baton that you use to point to various parts of the orchestra... this is like Windows pointing to various parts of the hard drive to do Windows housekeeping or to load program segments for various functions

Now, at the same time and with the same hand... while still using the baton to conduct the orchestra... pick up a bow and play a fiddle... this would be doing something with your video file at the same time as all the other work

You as a person cannot do both at the same time with the same hand

A computer is a LITTLE better, in that it can switch from one kind of task to another very quickly... but not quickly enough for EASY video editing

You need AT LEAST two hard drives (separate drives, never a partition http://forums.adobe.com/thread/650708 for more) with Windows (or Mac OS) and software on your boot drive, and video files on a 2nd drive so the boot drive is not slowed down by trying to do everything

I find that the three drives I use work very well for me, for editing AVCHD video... some people use a 4th drive, so video INPUT files are on drive three and all OUTPUT files are on drive four... I only bought a mid-tower case instead of a full tower case (my bad... but had to fit in the space available on my office desk!) so I use the three drives that will fit

Depending on your exact hardware (motherboard brand & model AND USB2 enclosure brand & model AND external hard drive brand & model) AND the type of video file, you may... or may NOT... be able to use an external USB2 hard drive for SD (Standard Definition) video editing

Steve Grisetti in the Premiere Elements forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856208 and Jim Simon in the Premiere Pro forum http://forums.adobe.com/thread/856433 use USB externals for editing

A USB3 hard drive connected to a motherboard with USB3 is supposed to be fast enough for video editing (I don't have such, so don't know) but eSata DOES have a fast enough data transfer for video editing... I have not used the eSata Dock below... for reference only, YMMV and all the usual disclaimers

http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=cm_cmu_pg_ t

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Choppy video
                  patrickmhart66 Level 1

Wow.....I get the jist of it , thanks again!