• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to open document. Please check to see if you have read permission for the above file.

Feb 02, 2012 Feb 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System:

• Adobe Acrobat X Pro, 10.1.2
  • Windows 7 Enterprise, 32-bit
  • Quad Core badass CPU
  • 4GB RAM
  • MS Word 2010 (Office 2010)

I installed the latest version as Administrator and am running as Administrator. I have all rights to all files on the PC.

When I attempt to create a PDF from any Word document, whether .DOC or .DOCX, I get an error window every time:

"Unable to open document:"

"[document location]"

"Please check to see if you have read permission for the above file."

This happens after the little notice pops up "Starting the application which created the document...."

If I open Word and create PDF from the ribbon, it works. It still won't allow me to create from Acrobat.

It creates PDFs from Excel files but not DOC files. I've searched for solutions but found none. I did find this from July of 2011:

"I have found out from Adobe technical support that this is a known issue with Office 2010 SP1 installed. This is an FYI for anyone else experiencing this issue, remove SP1 and it will work ok. They said an update to correct this issue will be coming within the next quarter."

I have updated to the latest version 10.1.2 and still have this problem.

This is a major issue, because it also fails on batch conversions, which is what I really need for the 100 or so documents that need to be PDFed. I'm not going to open each individual file and save each one from within Word.

This is a KNOWN ISSUE at Adobe, and if you look through the forums you'll find many people having this problem, and so far, I have not seen any solution.

If anyone has found the solution, please post it here.

Thanks!

B

TOPICS
Create PDFs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

So, does the conversion work the first time if you delete the Normal.dotm? Do you have any group policies that change your User Templates (for Word) path to a network drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2012 Feb 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to print to the Adobe PDF printer from inside WORD and be sure that works.

Do you have an Adobe menu in WORD 2010? If you don't, then you need to activate the PDF Maker macro in WORD before you can use Acrobat to create a PDF from a DOC or DOCX file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 06, 2012 Feb 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it works from within Word. Word has the menu. It works.

It doesn't work when opening a file from Acrobat X Pro.

It doesn't work for batch PDF, which is why I bought Acrobat X Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 07, 2012 Feb 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have the create PDF menu in WORD and that works, then the file should be able to be created directly in Acrobat. You may have to wait for one of the other folks who can test it out on their system. All that I can suggest is to update both WORD and Acrobat, but you have probably already done that. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 07, 2012 Feb 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep - thanks for the replies. Hopefully Adobe is going to fix this soon. Meanwhile, I'm going to check out Foxit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 12, 2012 Feb 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am also using Acrobat 10.1.2, and converting Word documents to PDF. No such error occurs when I convert documents to PDF using the sane worklows as yours. Could you attach the image of the error message that is coming. Also please tell me if this is occurring with all the word docs oronly for some of them, what is the location of the word doc that you are trying to convert and any other important detail which can help in reproducing this error at my end.

Thanks and Regards,

Love Bisht

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 29, 2012 Feb 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen shot 2012-02-29 at 12.17.55 PM.png

We are using folder redirection. The user has full control of their folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 01, 2012 Mar 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

This error comes when the file that we are converting to PDF is already open in Micosoft Application. Could you please check that whether the file that you are converting to PDF is not opened in Microsoft Word at the time of conversion. Also check in process explorer that Winword.exe is not running, if winword.exe process is running then first kill the Winword process and then convert the file to PDF.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Love Bisht

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 29, 2012 Feb 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was (and still am) having the exact same problem as described by the initial post. What we tried was to uninstall Acrobat 10, then reinstall chosing the COMPLETE install option instead of TYPICAL. Then ran all necessary updates (10.1.2 at the time of this post.) After that, I was able to combine Word files into a PDF.  Then however, the problem came back. So aggravating. Please fix this Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2012 Mar 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this still happen it you temporarily disable Edit > Preferences > Security (Enhanced) and select Protected View off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi LoriAUC,

Thanks for the input. However, I have disabled Protected View and that did not help (It was off by default). I even specified the two documents as "Privilidged Locations". Still the same error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have multiple users who have the exact same problem.

Running Windows 7 32-bit, Acrobat Pro 10.1.2 (same error with 10.0.0) and Office 2010 SP1 (Word version 14.0.6112.5000).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please check that whether the file that you are converting to PDF is not opened in Microsoft Word at the time of conversion. ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2012 Mar 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am very sure that Word is not running at the time of conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found a solution. It seems to be relatet to normal.dotm.

In our environment we have upgraded from XP & Office 2003 to Win7 and Office 2010. Normal.dot is stored on the users home share. When Office 2010 is started for the first time (for a user) it takes some of the old stuff from normal.dot and puts it in the new normal.dotm. When this happens, we get this error in Acrobat X.

The solution is to rename both normal.dot and notmal.dot to e.g. normal.dot.old and normal.dotm.old. Office/Word 2010 will then create a new, "clean" normal.dotm.

(By the way, if you are in a corporate environment, you might have changed the default path to normal.dot in Office group policies. You can see it here: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\office\14.0\common\general\usertemplates)

I would be interested in knowing exactly why/what in normal.dotm caused this error. I can provide you (Adobe) with a faulty normal.dot(m), if you're interested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but that did not fix the issue. I can combine files without an issue when logged in locally to the machine. However if I log in as a doamin user with folder redirection it fails. I am throwing in the towel. So frustrating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, does the conversion work the first time if you delete the Normal.dotm? Do you have any group policies that change your User Templates (for Word) path to a network drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi LoriAUC,

Well that did it! I just made a copy of my Templates folder (which was on a network drive because we use folder redirection for user profiles) and placed it on C:\ to test. I then set Word to look at C:\Templates for normal.dotm and the PDF created without any problems.

For anyone who needs this.....Open Word…go to FILE > Options > Advanced > Scroll way down….to File Locations > Select User Templates > Modify Button > Point to Templates where you copied the Templates folder. {for me it is C:\Templates}

Thanks so much! Is this something that should be reported to Adobe? Seems like a bug to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea, here is where you can report an issue - Feature Request/Bug Report Form.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2012 Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same problem. The problem occurs only with a User Template path to a network drive!

We have the newest version of Adobe Acrobat Std (10.1.3). Has someone a solution with the User Templates path to a network drive?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel,

I have yet to get a solution besides the one I provided above, I would suggest reporting the bug to Adobe. I have already done so but I heard nothing back. The more it is reported, the more likely it will be addressed? I just hope that is true.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi farrellj

I  had reported the bug to Aobe. I hope to get a solution from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines