3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2012 10:33 AM by the_wine_snob

Inserting a scrolling overlay using a bmp

Foto Playa

Hi all, building aproject in Premiere Elements 10 and would like to have a single bmp scrolling down in one corner (as a semi-transparent overlay) as the video plays on the rest of the screen.  It would look almost like a title menu scrolling but using a bmp file shot.  Hope that makes sense. Thanks!

• 1. Re: Inserting a scrolling overlay using a bmp
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I do not think that BMP supports Transparency, but you can convert that to PSD, or PNG, after removing the background. I do not use BMP that often, so please check me out on that.

What you are basically doing is creating an animated PiP, with your image. That will be most easily done by first altering the Motion>Scale (this will NOT be animated) of the Still Image, and then animating, via Keyframes, the Motion>Position. Those are both Fixed Effects, and are present for all Clips, whether they are Video, or Stills.

If you wish for the animated Still to "scroll" within a confined area, you can create a Track Matte, and apply Track Matte Keying. That Matte will act like a "window."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Inserting a scrolling overlay using a bmp
            Foto Playa Level 1

Bill,

Thanks!  I will need to figure out most of what you said, but it’s no problem to convert the image to a psd or png.   Do I make all of the adjustments in Premiere or do I need to do them in regular Elements?

Thanks!

Tom

• 3. Re: Inserting a scrolling overlay using a bmp
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Tom,

I would do most of the Scaling in Photoshop, as it has better Scaling algorithms, than does PrE. Then, when you have your PiP laid out, you can tweak the Scale with the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale. The less, the better, for the highest qualtiy.oo Personally, I will calculate the exact pixel x pixel dimensions that I need, and do that in Photoshop.

The animation of the Fixed Effect>Motion>Position, will be done in PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt