5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2012 10:23 AM by the_wine_snob

Poor quality image with doing videos with photos/images HELP!

katthecat

Hello,

I bought Adobe Premiere Element to make videos with pictures. When I do the video, the quality of my photos is good. When I save the video on my computer or I download it on youtube (example) the quality of my photos is extremely poor. Why? Does anyone can help me? Thank you!

• 1. Re: Poor quality image with doing videos with photos/images HELP!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First, a couple of questions:

1. Are you ONLY using Still Images, and no Video?
          2. If so, what is your intended YouTube delivery, HD (High Def), or SD (Standard Def)?
          3. What Project Preset did you choose at New Project? In the case of Video, composed of Still Images ONLY, you would set that to your desired delivery specs. Not so, if you are also using Video.
          4. What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of those Still Images. Nothing else really matters, but the pixel x pixel dimensions

This ARTICLE goes into more detail on Scaling Still Images, and why both the quality and the editing are improved.

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Poor quality image with doing videos with photos/images HELP!
            katthecat Level 1
            • Are you ONLY using Still Images, and no Video?  For this project,  only use pictures, music and effects. (I make some changes in Photoshop and inserts them into Premiere Elements)
            • If so, what is your intended YouTube delivery, HD (High Def), or SD (Standard Def)?  Standard i guess ? (FlashVideo for youtube)
            • What Project Preset did you choose at New Project? In the case of Video, composed of Still Images ONLY, you would set that to your desired delivery specs. Not so, if you are also using Video.  I tried several types of parameters. Some parameters give poor quality when I upload it to Youtube (for example) and others in the design of video and upload to YouTube. So which settings should I use for photos only ?
            • What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of those Still Images. Nothing else really matters, but the pixel x pixel dimensions I use several sizes of photos / images, but the largest is 1440 x 860 (like a screenshot - example)

Thank you!

• 3. Re: Poor quality image with doing videos with photos/images HELP!
              the_wine_snob Level 9

What Project Preset did you choose at New Project? In the case of Video, composed of Still Images ONLY, you would set that to your desired delivery specs. Not so, if you are also using Video.  I tried several types of parameters. Some parameters give poor quality when I upload it to Youtube (for example) and others in the design of video and upload to YouTube. So which settings should I use for photos only ?

This sounds like you are talking about the Export/Share settings for output to YouTube.

What I was asking is what did you start off with, when you were at New Project?

If you are doing an SD Project, you will have either 720 x 480 (NTSC), or 720 x 576 (PAL) pixels in the Project's Frame Size. If that is what you want, then I would Scale your camera original Stills to 640 x 480 (for NTSC), as you have Square Pixels, and the Project will have either 0.9 for NTSC Standard, or 1.21 for NTSC Widescreen).

PrE can Scale the Still Images, but the Scaling algorithms in Photoshop are much better, and offer more control.

Now, if you wish to do an HD Project, just choose that as your Preset, and then use the Images in about their original size. Note, there will be some black borders, as the screen-caps most likely have a different Aspect Ratio, than a Video Project, which for HD will be 16:9. Especially with screen-caps, that are pretty low resolution to begin with, I would NOT do any Scaling, and would live with the letterboxing, or pillar boxing, rather than Scale and effectively Crop.

Also, when Scaling in Photoshop, I do not Save_As JPEG, as it introduces compression, but only as either PSD (Photoshop's native format), or PNG.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Poor quality image with doing videos with photos/images HELP!
                katthecat Level 1

If you are doing an SD Project, you will have either 720 x 480 (NTSC), or 720 x 576 (PAL) pixels in the Project's Frame Size. If that is what you want, then I would Scale your camera original Stills to 640 x 480 (for NTSC), as you have Square Pixels, and the Project will have either 0.9 for NTSC Standard, or 1.21 for NTSC Widescreen).

But, i'm not using a camera... i'm taking image on internet or printscreen with my computer...

• 5. Re: Poor quality image with doing videos with photos/images HELP!
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, have you decided on whether you want to produce an HD Project, or SD Project for YouTube?

With only Still Images (no Video), you desired delivery will determine the Project's settings.

What are the sizes of those Images, downloaded from the Internet?

What are the formats?

What is the screen resolution for those screen-caps?

What format are you using to get those screen-caps into PrE?

That information will be very important.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful