5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2012 9:20 AM by Peter Spier

InDesign - Help with data merge

LP700 Level 1

Sorry if this has already been answered, but, I recently started using InDesign and I'm having a bit of an issue with data merge.

I want to create three separated groups of records on the same page using the same data source but I want each one of those groups to be independent.

I hope I made myself clear enough. Thanks for any help provided!

• 1. Re: InDesign - Help with data merge
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

LP700 wrote:

I hope I made myself clear enough.

Afraid not...

Do you mean you want three of the same record on each page, three different records on each page, or something else? A screen shot showing the arrangement with som dummy text might help. Embed it in a post using the camera icon on the web page like this:

CameraIcon.png

• 2. Re: InDesign - Help with data merge
            LP700 Level 1

Untitled-1.jpg

I marked each group of records in a different color in order to better illustrate my point.

Using the same data source I want each one of these rows of records to show a products specific data. Every time I change the data on the red row it changes in all of them.

I hope this helps, thanks once again.

• 3. Re: InDesign - Help with data merge

I'm still not entirely clear if you want three DIFFERENT sets, or three identical sets on the page, but I'm guessing you want three different sets. To do that you set up only the palecholders of the first set (the red in your illustration above). Everything that goes into that set of placeholders must come from one line (record) in your data file. DO NOT make placeholders for the other records.

Choose Multiple Records per Page as the type of merge and set the position and spacing parameters. Data Merge is not terribly sophisitcated, so it is going to add as many records per page as will fit. Yo may not be able to limit it to three if thay are packed closely and you expect to leave a large blank area at the bottom (though it might work if the placeholders are on the master page and you have some sort of header and footer on the master as well. in that case anything that needs to be duplicated should be in a single frame, or grouped).

There is a bug in the CS5 version of Data Merge when you press the preview button, so either make a leap of faith and merge without preview, or preview, then undo, and merge.

• 4. Re: InDesign - Help with data merge
                LP700 Level 1

Ah, I got it. But these different sets of info are created automatically, correct? So, I can't change them manually in InDesign, I'm forced to update the data source, correct?

Also, the table I'm using was created with a different program (and exported as eps), so the only thing I really have to do is put the placeholders in place. Thing is InDesign keeps turning it into an image file, thus making it almost impossible for me to zoom in and properly place the placeholders - is there any way around this?

• 5. Re: InDesign - Help with data merge

You can edit them in ID, but it won't fix the probelms, if any, in the data source.