13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2012 4:30 PM by the_wine_snob

PE 10 Trial - Timeline very sluggish

bulysses

Hi,

I'm working with the Premiere Elements 10 trial. I'll probably purchase it in a few days but I have question about the timeline. Whenever I zoom in or scroll the timeline it takes several seconds to respond for each movement. This happens whether I have a bunch of clips loaded or just one. Turning off the video thumbnails and audio waveforms doesn't help; nor does changing the size of the tracks. It doesn't matter if its HD video or a tiny SD video clip. Everything else in the program responds very well as RAM usage is always below my max. Even with several effects, full HD (1080) H.264 video previews just fine with no lag even without even rendering the timeline.

So I've been pleased with PE 10 but the timeline problem is rather annoying and definately slows me down. I've used other recent NLE programs and their timelines are snappy and responsive. Does anyone know if there is some setting I'm missing or other issue I can look at? Thanks for your time.

*Special note regarding my hardware configuration. I've noticed that many people asking similar questions on the forums do not have the proper hardware to run PE 10 smoothly. While I don't have a killer system, I do not believe my hardware is the problem BECAUSE actually previewing an unrendered full HD video project with numerous effects is very smooth. If you think the problem is with my hardware or OS config, please explain how this can be the case when the preview is so smooth.

Dell Latitiude E6510

Windows 7 64-bit

i7 620M CPU @ 2.3GHz

4GB DDR3 PC3-10700 RAM

Nvidia NVS 3100M w/ 512MB dedicated video memory

Primary Drive: SATA-300 250GB 7200RPM

Media/Project Drive: eSata (SATA-300) 2TB 5400RPM

• 1. Re: PE 10 Trial - Timeline very sluggish
          the_wine_snob Level 9

A couple of observations:

With a 64-bit OS, the installed RAM is just enough to run the OS. Can you expand the RAM?

The 5400 RPM HDD's will not be very helpful for Video. 7200 RPM is highly recommended.

Now, have you updated your nVidia driver to the very latest, from the nVidia Web site? While doing that, I would also update the audio driver too.

This ARTICLE has a checklist for getting one's PrE to run the best. It then goes into some tuneup steps for the computer and the OS. Last, it has links to help troubleshoot issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE 10 Trial - Timeline very sluggish
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You don't say what model of camcorder your video is coming from or if it is true AVCHD or only MP4, but that can make a huge difference. Also, a lot depends on how well matched your source video is to your project settings.

When you add your clips to your timeline, does a red line appear along the top of the timeline? If so, this is an indication that you're not using the correct project settings for your video.

Also, when you do add effects or transitions and you see red lines above your clips, press Enter to render the timeline. This will keep the program operating at peak performance.

• 3. Re: PE 10 Trial - Timeline very sluggish
              bulysses Level 1

Thank you both for your responses. I worked through Bill's list and found some outdated drivers and such. Still no change. :-\ My project setting is NTSC > DSLR > 1080p > DSLR 1080p24. I had the wrong settings at first but it automatically changed the project when added my first clip to the timeline. All my video was shot by a Canon DSLR and is 1920 x 1080 H.264 video in a .MOV container. The red line is not present when I add clips; only when I add effects, fades, etc. I tried making sure the timeline was always rendered when moving around as Steve suggested but no change.

Here's a screen capture showing my problem: http://youtu.be/y3z2Vgjlx1U?hd=1

Regarding Bill's observations: I would like more RAM but I don't have the budget for it right now. However, as you can see in the video, the amount of free RAM never dips below 1.3GB even with the screen reader running so I don't think my timeline problem is RAM related. Likewise, I agree that my 5400 RPM drive is not the best (I do notice it's a bit slow when importing and conforming video), however I have it attached via eSATA and CrystalDiskMark benchmarks it at about 140 MB/sec read and write, which is faster than my system drive (which comes in around 115 MB/sec). I feel like if the drive was causing this then the unrendered preview would be sluggish as well, but it runs great, as do all the other feautres I've used so far.

Any other ideas about what the problem might be. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

• 4. Re: PE 10 Trial - Timeline very sluggish

I agree with Bill. The slower drive could be the bottleneck.

The second drive is installed internally, right? If so, have you gone into your system BIOS to ensure that the drive is set up there as well as in your operating system? Setting your drive up correctly in your BIOS can double or even triple its performance.

• 5. Re: PE 10 Trial - Timeline very sluggish
                  bulysses Level 1

Actually the second drive is in an external enclosure connected via external SATA. I'll take a look in the BIOS when I have a chance and see if there are any options for the eSATA port. If the drive really is the problem then I guess I'll just have to live with it as the external drive is already faster than my system drive as I mentioned before (and this is definately _not_ a good time to buy hard drives).

I'm a little more inclined to think that it's a weakness in PE because I've tried out 3 or 4 other editors on this same hardware and footage and their timelines were nice and snappy. I still like PE the best of the ones I tried so I think I'll stick with it. Thanks again for your time. Hopefully someone will come along who had the same exact problem.

• 6. Re: PE 10 Trial - Timeline very sluggish
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

The eSATA should not be an issue, though the RPM for the drive in that enclosure can be.

As for some NLE programs, working more quickly, some use intermediate CODEC's, where Adobe NLE's edit the footage natively. That can make a difference, but not sure if that is what is happening.

Good luck, and if PrE is not the right NLE for you, and for your footage, I would go with one that works best with that footage and your computer. That is one of the beauties of doing the trials.

Hunt

• 7. Re: PE 10 Trial - Timeline very sluggish
                      bulysses Level 1

I found the solution!! A poster on this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/message/4142480 suggested the following

If you go to Control Panel > System and Security > System and click "advanced system settings", In the advanced tab click the "Settings...." button in the performance section. Untick the last option "use visual styles".

It looks horrible, but premiere will now run smootly for you. (maybe)

And that totally solved the problem for me. The timeline is nice and snappy now. Not sure if PE or Microsoft is more to blame on this one.

Update: I tried turning of everything in the performance section and it improved the performance of the timeline even more. My Windows 7 UI is hideous but editing will be significantly more enjoyable now.

• 8. Re: PE 10 Trial - Timeline very sluggish
                        bulysses Level 1

Incidentally, Bill, you have some great guides for how to prepare your computer to edit video, and it might be worth adding a section about disabling all the eye candy that the more recent versions of Windows come with if you don't mention this already. Even if only a few people have my specific problem, it takes one more thing out of the mix when someone's trying to troubleshoot PE. Just my $0.02.

• 9. Re: PE 10 Trial - Timeline very sluggish

That can definitely boost performance by directed power from aesthetics to your program, bulysses. But with an i7 processor, Windows 7 64-bit and 4 gigs of RAM, it shouldn't be necessary. (Maybe more RAM would help.) Turning off visual styles is usually only necessary on marginal computer systems -- not quad cores like yours!

I'd be much more inclined to find a bottleneck in that 5400 rpm hard drive. (7200 rpm is today's standard.)

But if the tweak works, it works. That's all that matters.

• 10. Re: PE 10 Trial - Timeline very sluggish
                            bulysses Level 1

Yeah I agree it shouldn't make a difference on this machine and 7200 rpm is definately the way to go. However, I forgot to mention that I was able to upgrade to a 7200 RPM drive last week and it made no difference on the timeline issue. :-\ Oh well. Thanks again for your responses.

• 11. Re: PE 10 Trial - Timeline very sluggish
                              paggy27

Hi Guys

Im new here, regarding this sluggish subject with elements. How come I can run the trial version of Premier Pro and its  fine But Elements is pointless jerky and slow. Is it not that Elements is buggy.

I would like to buy as its a lot cheaper than Pro, but it doe not seem very good. Do you this its just the trial version?

• 12. Re: PE 10 Trial - Timeline very sluggish

That's not an easy question to answer, paggy, without knowing what model of camcorder your video is coming from, what format and resolution the video is, which settings you're using in your Premiere Elements project, which operating system you're running, how fast your computer's processor is, etc.

Premiere Elements runs at least as efficiently as Premiere Pro when it's working with camcorder video and is properly configured.

• 13. Re: PE 10 Trial - Timeline very sluggish
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

About the only aspect of PrPro, as of CS 5, that really affects Timeline performance is the MPE (Mercury Playback Engine), that functions on two levels - a software level, and then at a hardware level, if one has a certified, CUDA-capable nVidia video card, with updated CUDA and video drivers. This ARTICLE goes into more detail on MPE.

Both Premiere programs will benefit greatly, if one tunes up their computer and their OS.

For the issues that you are having with PrE, you might want to see this ARTICLE, and if nothing helps, then look at the link, downthread, on "Got a Problem... ?" and list the info requested in that article.

Now, I have not tested the 64-bit version of both Premieres against each other, but would suspect that they are very similar. As PrPro has a bit larger footprint, and requires slightly more resources, I would give the nod (remember, without the tests) to PrE, but that is discounting any acceleration via MPE.

Good luck,

Hunt