4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2012 11:25 AM by JLMArts

Upgraded to Photoshop 5.5 - can't find my custom brushes!

JLMArts

I recently upgraded from PS CS4 to 5.1 Extended. I found the free brushes I downloaded from the internet but cannot locate custom brush presets I created myself. Any advice? I have lots of them and would hate to have lost them. I've already looked in Programs/Photoshop CS4 for brush presets.Many thanks for any and all advice.

• 1. Re: Upgraded to Photoshop 5.5 - can't find my custom brushes!
          TLL... Level 3

Did you uninstall CS4 before installing CS5? Did you ever save you custom brushes (I'm on a pc so any brushes saved have a .abr extension) somewhere? Search for .abr?

• 2. Re: Upgraded to Photoshop 5.5 - can't find my custom brushes!
            JLMArts Level 1

Didn't uninstall CS4. Had CS4 and InDesign 5.5 then upgraded to Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 Design Premium. Did do a search for .abr and found all the brushes downloaded from the internet but not my cutsom ones. I'm also on a PC. I would make the brush in photoshop, then EDIT/ DEFINE BRUSH PRESET/ Name the brush....done. Does this count as saving them?

I assumed if I searched for .ABR files I'd find them. It's a mystery. Thanks for your suggestions though! Appreciate it.

• 3. Re: Upgraded to Photoshop 5.5 - can't find my custom brushes!
              TLL... Level 3

I don't do a lot of custom brush work, mainly modifying existing PS brushes so my experiance here is a bit week. That being said what brushes I did create and use (way back w/CS3) I saved as **.abr and still have them. I do save many actions and color adjustment files in their respective formats. So what I would do is go into CS4 see if your brushes are still there (don't see why they wouldn't be) and save them out to .abr somewhere. Then go to CS5 and load them from your brush pallette.

• 4. Re: Upgraded to Photoshop 5.5 - can't find my custom brushes!
                JLMArts Level 1

Alas, I tried that first. They aren't there. I experimented with making new brushes in CS5.5 just now. Defined brush preset, named brush. But still couldn't find the new brush as a file. Realize that I need to also SAVE them. It's funny, I never saved them before and they were always there, ready to be used in my brushes. I think the key word here is SAVE. I did this by going to PRESET MANAGER, highlighting the newly made brushes then clicking SAVE SET and naming it. Oh well.

TLL, thank you so much for taking the time to respond.

1 person found this helpful