4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2012 3:13 PM by Bill Gehrke

nVidia GTX 600 series?

Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I of course do not know whether this is true or rumor but it does make for nice day-dreaming.  And I was hoping for February availability.  1000 cores now 12 April!

nVidia-600-series.jpg

• 1. Re: nVidia GTX 600 series?
          Jim_Simon Level 9

$650 for a 2GB nVidia with 1024 cores.

$450 for a 3GB ATI with 1792 cores.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102962

This is why Adobe really needs to completely abandon CUDA and fully commit to OpenCL for hardware acceleration.

• 2. Re: nVidia GTX 600 series?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Not completely true Jim.

A Bulldozer AMD CPU may have more cores than a simple i7, but is still left behind in the dust performance wise because of other factors. You can't simply compare core count to final performance. Nevertheless, I do feel it would be nice to have OpenCL support, because that would enable EyeFinity, that a lot of people would like to have with more than the nVidia limitations of two monitors only. You could use up to 6 monitors and still have hardware MPE, what a beautiful world...

• 3. Re: nVidia GTX 600 series?
              Jim_Simon Level 9

You can't simply compare core count to final performance.

For a CPU, I might agree.  But these ain't CPUs.

• 4. Re: nVidia GTX 600 series?
                Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This definitely in the rumor category but sure would be nice!

"Nvidia's Brown did not mention (last August) anything about the rumor which says, Kepler will be coming with native multi-monitor technology vs Eyefinity, which may be launched as a new version of its current Nvidia Surround technology, which currently requires using 2 GeForce video card to display games, videos and applications to 3 monitors. The new incarnation of Kepler Surround technology will use 3 to 5 monitors without requiring a 2nd board and eliminate the need for third-party chips to achieve this function. It should be remembered that manufacturers like Galaxy/KFA2 offer solutions based on Nvidia GPUs with support for 3, 4 and 5 monitors, but this is possible with ViewXpand VMM 1400/1402 chip, which is not a native capacity of the current Nvidia GPUs"