3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2012 5:36 AM by Peter Spier

FINALIZE CATALOG FOR PRINTER

jessicagirard

Hello,

I have to finalize one catalog on indesign. The profile of the images is connected  but not incorporated is this important?

How to prepare the pdf for the printer?

Thank you in advance

• 1. Re: FINALIZE CATALOG FOR PRINTER
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Your best bet is to contact the printer and see what their recommendation is for preparing the PDF.

In case that is not possible, choose File > Export > Adobe PDF (Print), and choose the PDF/X-1a PDF preset.

I have not idea what you mean by "The profile of the images is connected but not incorporated." That makes no sense to me.

• 2. Re: FINALIZE CATALOG FOR PRINTER
            jessicagirard Level 1

Thank you for your answer.

In fact I'll call my printer, it will be more easy for me to prepare the PDF.

Regarding the photos, it's when i make "assembly"

Column : links and images

Name / Text / Page / State / Profil ICC

Under profil ICC it is noted without and sometimes incorporated

And I don't know what it means and if it's important.

I hope to be clearer.

• 3. Re: FINALIZE CATALOG FOR PRINTER
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Jessica,

When replying ny email, please turn off or delete the autoquote, and remove any personal information. All responses are posted on the web page.

ICC profiles are like a dictionary that tells programs that are profile-aware what "language" the colors are in and how to "pronounce" them. In other words, it describes the conditions under which the colors were produced and waht the expected appearance will be. Because different output devices will have slightly different appearances for the same set of numbers, knowing the source conditions (the profile is embedded in the art) can allow a program like InDesign to adjust the way it appears on your screen to reflect the way it appeared when created, and to adjust the numbers that are sent to any particular output device so the appearance is reproduced as closely as possible.

Are they important? I think so for photographs, less so for illustrations which are "arificial" anyway and won't suffer quite as much from small color shifts. It's not fatal to not have a profile, and if the profile is known (or you can make a good guess), but not embedded for a photograph you can apply it manually under the image color settings. The big worry with embedded profiles and illustrations is that you will get a CMYK to CMYK conversion at some point in the process that will convert 100% K blacks into rich (four-color) blacks that cause problems for printing things like type or thin lines.