16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 12, 2013 12:40 AM by mckayk_777

I need to place a series of links at same scale.

RollDotHome Level 1

I am working on a project where I need to bring numerous links of varying dimensions (Illustrator files in this case) into InDesign at the same scale so that they are proportional to each other.

I have set picture boxes with live captions attached and ideally would like to bring every link in at 5% and then fit box to content (cmnd+alt+C). Is this possible?

To much mileage having to keep going to menu bar and adjuting the percentage!

• 1. Re: I need to place a series of links at same scale.
          mckayk_777 Level 2

I think you do it this way...

Draw a box the size your require place one of your imports into it and tell it the reduction you require.

With the direct select tool delete contents and then copy box and place it where you want to place all your documents.

Now when you place into that box the contents will automatically resize by the percentage you require.

• 2. Re: I need to place a series of links at same scale.
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I think you might be on the right track, but it would be important to UNCHECK the Preserve Image Dimensions When Relinking box in The File Handling section of the prefs.

• 3. Re: I need to place a series of links at same scale.
              mckayk_777 Level 2

If you just load your cursor instead of using relink, and place in box that should resize them automatically.

Sorry not infront of a machine with indesign on it.

• 4. Re: I need to place a series of links at same scale.

The request is to keep the scale the same, not the dimensions, so you have some issues to deal with that turn out to be more complex than I initially thought.

My first thought was that with preserve dimensions turned off your paste would work as you expected, but I tried it this morning after you reposted, and it turns out it doesn't.  Since CS4 when you place an image and drag the frame it makes a frame that is proportional to the image and scales the content to fit proportionally. So far, so good.

In CS5 the frame fitting option for the empty frame is set to None, which seems fine, but in CS5/5.5 it's set to Fit Content Proportionally. Unfortunately, neither of those options does what the OP wants. If you use the Default fit proportionally, that's what happens when you paste into the frame after deleting the previous content, so there is no way to fix a particular scale factor there. After thinking about this that seems to be as expected, and there is no option available to set the empty frame to the scale of the previous image. Using a fitting option of None causes all pasted content to come in at 100%, which also doesn't help. It also turns out that the Relink Preserves Dimensions preference has no effect on the Paste behavior, though I thought it would.

So, it looks to me like the only way to do multiple links at a particular scale is to either script something (and I don't write scripts), or use the very cumbersome approach of relinking a new image to a frame that still has content at the correct scale in it. Frankly, I think a script is a better solution, and it could be written to take care of reszing the frames at the same time.

• 5. Re: I need to place a series of links at same scale.
                  Rik Ramsay Level 4

Possibly not an ideal solution but depending on the number of links you are bringing in (you mention you have the boxes already set out so possibly not a massive amount) you could place all the links at the same time onto the pasteboard which brings them in at 100%. You can then select them all, align to top left (or whatever) and adjust scale to 5%. This would give you them at the correct size, then you would just need to place into the frames and select them all to "fit to content". I tried setting the style first but 5.5 doesn't seem to like it much. Again not perfect but I noticed the object styles in CS5.5 don't have "fit to content" as an option.

• 6. Re: I need to place a series of links at same scale.
                    RollDotHome Level 1

Thanks for all the suggestions. Unfortunately non of the offered solutions quite meet my specific problem but it seems it is a limitiation of InDesign.

• I have a master page with four picture boxes that require the contents to be linked in at 5% and two picture boxes that require the contents to be lined in at 10%

This master page is to be used hundreds of times and I have potential several thousand indivdual links to bring in.

• The pages need populating one at a time and links cannot be bought into InDesign en masse and rescaled together.

Therefore it seems that the scale of the placed content should be set as an attribute of the picture box so that anything linked into it comes in at the pre-assigned scale (that the frame also automatically resizes to the content and maintain it's link to the live caption would be a bonus)

Looks like it's going to be a bit of a repetetive task to say the least! Is there any commercial plug in that anyone is aware of that preforms this task?

• 7. Re: I need to place a series of links at same scale.

I would pay a visit to InDesign Scripting

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: I need to place a series of links at same scale.
                        RollDotHome Level 1

Thanks Peter – just posted there and hoping for best ;-)

I'm sure Quark used to do this to some degree but it would take more than this to drag me back!!

• 9. Re: I need to place a series of links at same scale.
                          mckayk_777 Level 2

OK have worked out the solution. (Mac OS 10.5.8 Indesign CS4 6.0.6)

I was partly right with my posts except there is an option you have to change in the Preference panel>General

When Scaling

Adjust Scaling Percentage selected

Draw your box and scale it by your required percentage using Scale X Percentage and Scale Y Percentage fields

Resize the box to the required starting size and tell it that its a graphics box Right Click>Content>Graphic

Make a dup of the box maybe even put it in a library file for easy access.

Use the Place command to put an image into the box and they will show up as the percentage reduction that you require.

Have fun

• 10. Re: I need to place a series of links at same scale.
                            RollDotHome Level 1

Thank you so much – seems to do the trick

• 11. Re: I need to place a series of links at same scale.

Yes. Good catch. I always forget about that option as I don't like what it does with text, but it's perfect here.

• 12. Re: I need to place a series of links at same scale.
                                RollDotHome Level 1

What kind of nastiness does it do to text?

• 13. Re: I need to place a series of links at same scale.

It screws up the reporting of the size, which is to say it reports the size at which the type was set, not the size it is after scaling (though that shuold be reported in parentheses, as I recall). It does the same sort of thing to an applied strok on a frame -- increading ort decreaing the stroke weight, but reporting the oringnal weight.

You may be able to have the best of both worlds here by switching back and forth on the preference -- switch to adjust scaling percentage while making your frames, then switch back when you are finished -- but you'd have to try it on a sample to see if it sticks.

• 14. Re: I need to place a series of links at same scale.
                                    mckayk_777 Level 2

Peter your done it again,

That scaling text with that option enabled was a mystery to me, seemed more like a bug when it has happening before, could not work it out.

With that option sellected you would get something like 18pt then in brackets (11.44) really annoying.

Now I know what is happening it is very workable

Thank you Peter

• 15. Re: I need to place a series of links at same scale.

I guess we're even on this one.

• 16. Re: I need to place a series of links at same scale.
                                        mckayk_777 Level 2

Further to this, if you create the box and set it up so image is resized automatically you can then turn off the feature in

the Preferences:

When Scaling

Adjust Scaling Percentage selected

Then the box can be used over and over and the type will not give wierd messurements

Best of both worlds without any problems