14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2012 7:14 AM by mcarrara

Working in a school enviroment

darrell milam

We want to be able to use Digital editions in a school enviroment where a student is never setting at the same device and may use 8-10 different devices during the day and even more throughout the week.  The authorization processes is making this very difficult.  Is there a way around the authorization required to use ADE or a way to unautorize and release the book from the device so it can be brought up on another device by that user.

• 1. Re: Working in a school enviroment
          Jim_Lester Level 4

No, ADE is not really suited for use in an institutional environment - and especially so in one with roaming desktops.

• 2. Re: Working in a school enviroment
            darrell milam Level 1

thanks for your reply Jim

do you know of another product that will read epub files that may work in our enviroment

• 3. Re: Working in a school enviroment
              Jim_Lester Level 4

Do the books you are looking to use have DRM or not?

• 4. Re: Working in a school enviroment
                darrell milam Level 1

sorry for the delay

The library is OverDrive I do not think they use DRM.

• 5. Re: Working in a school enviroment
                  Jim_Lester Level 4

hmm...  While Overdrive does offer the occasional book without DRM, the vast majority of their business (public libraries) definitely uses DRM.

If there is no DRM involved, then either ADE 1.8 (which doesn't force activation until you try to use a DRM book) in public beta on labs.adobe.com, FBReader, or Stanza may work for you.

If the books have DRM, and you can't have the computer have all the books (authorize to an institutional account), then what you describe won't work.

• 6. Re: Working in a school enviroment
                    darrell milam Level 1

Thank you for all your help

I will look at these apps and also double check with the overdrive rep.

If I find a work around i'll let you know.

• 7. Re: Working in a school enviroment
                      Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Yes they do.  DRM is a part of the digital rights assigned by publishers

and distributors to those ebooks in the library.

================

• 8. Re: Working in a school enviroment
                        darrell milam Level 1

Thank you for your reply

Overdrive also gives me the options to download kindle, adobe epub, and adobe pdf formats

Do you know if all of these formats use the DRM?

• 9. Re: Working in a school enviroment
                          Jim_Lester Level 4

All of those formats use DRM.

• 10. Re: Working in a school enviroment
                            Frustrated in AZ Level 4

Darrell, let me add something to Jim Lester's response for background.

You may remember Napster, an on-line music 'sharing' website.  Lawsuits

found that it violated copyrights for music, and it was shut down in the

early 1990's,  The publishing industry, seeing the beginnings of electronic

publishing, got together to hash out rules that would regulate the

distribution and copying of electronic publications.  The result was the

Digital Millenium Copyright Act of 2000 (DMCA), in which digital rights

were defined for electronic publications.  Adobe, Bluefire, Overdrive,

Amazon, SONY and others developed Digital Rights Management software

routines to implement the requirements of the DMCA.  All electronic

publications may have digital rights assigned, but they do not have to.

That's the decision of the publisher or distributor, who will follow the

guidelines in DMCA.

Whether it's convenient or irritating, digital rights management is part of

the electronic publishing environment.

==============

• 11. Re: Working in a school enviroment
                              darrell milam Level 1

Thank you

That's helped me understand.

I wonder how other public school systems that our trying to move toward digital media our handling the DRM issue.  Not all school systems are properly funded to be able to supply each student with there own ereader device and have to share there resources while at school and the student also has to be able to access there reading material at there homes and other locations.  Any ideas?

• 12. Re: Working in a school enviroment
                                Jim_Lester Level 4

As an alternative to Overdrive (and ADE) you can look at the big eBooks players that either don't use ADE directly or don't use it all, such as Amazon, Apple, and Barnes & Noble.

Since you said you don't have a device budget, I believe that iBooks on Apple wouldn't work for you, because iBooks currently only works on iOS devices (ie IPad/iPhone...)

I know that  both Amazon and B&N has an Institutional program and will work with schools, and they also have Mac and PC clients in addition to low cost devices.  For either one however,   I think that the licensing model (purchase rather than lend), may end up with larger up front costs for you, however I don't know enough about your situation to be able to say anything definitive.  I would suggest that you try to contact them directly.

Another possible solution is to try sidestep the DRM/licensing issue and licensing issues by looking for DRM free and generously licensed content, such as you can find on Project Gutenberg (public domain), and  http://www.flatworldknowledge.com/ (open source textbooks).  If all the content that you want (or maybe just need) to use is available in this form, then this would provide you the greatest degree of flexibility in how to deploy and use that content.   

Note that if you are US based, be aware of the various legal problems you may have with satisfying Section 504 and Title 6 requirements if you are working for a school that recieves federal funding.  For instance, you said that the 'student also has to be able to access there reading material at there homes' If you don't provide a device or a computer to the students in these cases, you may end up in trouble (means based discrimination).  This may make the DRM free content even more interesting, since it will widen the number of ways you can satisfy these requirements.

(Full Disclosure: I work for B&N - and this is my own private opinion, not that of my employer)

• 13. Re: Working in a school enviroment
                                  darrell milam Level 1

Thank you for your insite

I will look over the web links you provided and probably have more questions.

• 14. Re: Working in a school enviroment
                                    mcarrara

Our district is dipping our toes in the ebook revolution.  What we are looking to do is purchase a couple of Nook ereaders for say elementary books.  When a student wants to check oout an ebook they would get the reader with that ebook assigned to it.  If another student wanted an ebook on that reader they would have to wait, just like if it was a real book.  Now we are a small district (less than 400 students) so we don't see a lot of issues.  I am not looking at a PC based reader because long term I see traditional desktop and laptop computers disapperaring from schools.  Again this is a beginning step, I'm sure there will be more issues to solve along the way.

My mine issue now is feature envy.  The ebook readers on the iPad just work.  I am struggling to get a PC based reader to do the same.  That's why I'm on the forum today, to find out if the Adobe Digital Editions can view videos.

Mark