11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 21, 2008 10:37 AM by HKabaker

Breadcrumbs 'Home' link

hughbetcha Level 1
      I have many merged projects. For the breadcrumb navigation, I would now like the 'Home' link to go to my master default homepage - NOT the Default Topic for each project.

From each Project Options settings, I can change the default topic which the 'Home' breadcrumb will link to. It seems to me the only way to make the 'Home' link go to my master default page, is within each project, create a page with the link to what my homepage is. Then I can select the homepage URL from the Default Topic selection list.

Is there an easier way to do this? URL's only seem to be viewable in the selection list if they are mentioned somewhere within a Project.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Breadcrumbs 'Home' link
          three_penguins
          Although I'm not familiar with merged projects I believe breadcrumbs are based on your TOC. If the merged project has a TOC with a link to the master home page (at the top level - like a folder called "home") it seems like that would work.
          • 2. Re: Breadcrumbs 'Home' link
            Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)
            If you are merging webhelp and it is properly set up, Home will go to the default topic for the parent.

I would be surprised if compiled HTML was not the same.

• 3. Re: Breadcrumbs 'Home' link
              HKabaker Level 2
              Peter is correct.

But here's a wrinkle:

My welcome page has the merged TOC, Index and Search at the left, as you would expect.

In addition, the welcome page contains separate links to the individual subprojects, which open in a separate window or tab. It's useful in this context, because the subprojects are release notes going back several years. Someone might want to read and search within one release.

From a topic in one of these standalone sets, the "Home" link opens the welcome page for the parent project, but keeps the TOC, Index and Search from the subproject. The browser reload returns to the subproject's welcome page.

This doesn't bother me very much, because the merged TOC is still available on the first window or tab. Firefox behaves the same.

An early comment by Rick, I think, during beta testing for RH 7, noted that the breadcrumbs are not like a browse sequence or backward trail through topics. Rather, they take you back to the TOC book or, if it's a book with no topic link, to the first topic in the book.

I, too, would prefer a trail.

Harvey
              • 4. Re: Breadcrumbs 'Home' link
                hughbetcha Level 1
                I can't see how to set it up properly so Home is always the default page I've defined within the Parent. In the Parent, I've set the default topic to the main page I want people to start at. This setting does not carry over to my child projects.

For other projects, seems to be that RH sets the default topic to whatever topic you place first within the TOC of that project. As well, the Home link in the breadcrumbs is assigned to the same topic.

So I have breadcrumbs: Home > Project1 > Topic 1 and the "Home" link and "Project1" link both linking to the same default topic.

I want the home link to always go to my main home page, ( which to select in each Child project is considered a Remote URL). I can change the default topic to be a remote URL and then the Project1 link will be defined by the first topic in the project TOC. So, this will work for me - just thought there may be a different way of doing this - otherwise I need to go into each Child project and set the default to be the Remote URL.
                • 5. Re: Breadcrumbs 'Home' link
                  HKabaker Level 2
                  If you merged WebHelp projects and built the master TOC correctly, and set breadcrumbs in the parent and all child projects, "Home" links should go to the master project's home page.

It sounds like your "Home" topic is not first in the TOC. If I'm wrong, and it is at the top, the following is probably is irrelevant.

RH sometimes gets confused when the welcome, or Home, page is not standing alone at the top of the TOC.

I've seen possible workarounds discussed in this or the WebHelp forum, but I think it makes sense to start your reader at the top of the TOC with a general introduction to the application -- what it does, a little about how it works, and a few main points that link to key topics.

The reader can start here, or go to the TOC.

You may prefer a different approach, starting lower in the TOC, or inside a book. If so, try searching RH forums for TOC subjects.

Harvey
                  • 6. Re: Breadcrumbs 'Home' link
                    hughbetcha

Is this now resolved?#

• 7. Re: Breadcrumbs 'Home' link
                      hughbetcha Level 1
                      quote:

Is this now resolved?

Well, not really.

If I publish a child project, the breadcrumbs will default so the "Home" link and the "Project1" link will be the same (whatever I've defined to be the Default topic in my project). Again, I want my "Home" link to be the same for all projects so it will always be a link to a page on my Master Project. Ideally, in the Master project you should be able to define what you want the Home link to be (default topic) and it would carryover to all the child projects.

So, the only workaround I can think of is to set the Default Topic for all my child projects to be a Remote URL (the url to my topic on my Master project). This way the Home link will be the correct page to my Master project, and the second link will still be to a default topic of my Child project.

Not sure if my projects just are not merged properly, or if the breadcrumbs are designed to work differently than how I think - or wish them to work.
                      • 8. Re: Breadcrumbs 'Home' link
                        Home will always be the default topic for the parent project when the projects are merged. If you open a child project in its own right, it will open the default for that project which must be within that project.

Is an end user ever going to be able to open the help at child project level? It feels like you are concerned about something that is not going to happen in reality.

Merged webhelp should be giving you what you wanted in the first post without any trickery. The ONLY time it will be different is if you open a child output other than through the merge.

• 9. Breadcrumbs 'Home' link
                          hughbetcha Level 1
                          quote:

Home will always be the default topic for the parent project when the projects are merged.

I'm just saying this is not happening for me. If I create a new child project and pubish it to the server, when I go to view the site online, and navigate to the child page, the Home link for that child project will be the default within the child project. It is not defaulting to default topic of the parent project.
                          • 10. Re: Breadcrumbs 'Home' link
                            That sounds like you are viewing the child directly then, rather than from the parent.

To access a child topic try this

startpage.htm#path/childtopic.htm

If Home goes to a child's home page, then you have not accessed the child topic through the parent and that is key.

Download my demo and upgrade it to RH7. You will see it works as I describe and as you want.

Come back if still stuck. We'll get it working for you.

• 11. Re: Breadcrumbs 'Home' link
                              HKabaker Level 2
                              hugh, quote:
                              ----------------------------------------
                              If I create a new child project and pubish it to the server, when I go to view the site online, and navigate to the child page, the Home link for that child project will be the default within the child project. It is not defaulting to default topic of the parent project.
                              ---------------------------------------

You're leaving out a step or two.

If you have merged WebHelp projects, you need to update the parent project so the merged TOC includes the new child project's TOC.

Then, after you publish the new child project, republish the parent project. If you open the child project from the merged TOC in the parent, child topics should open in the topic pane of the parent frame. Their Home link will be the parent's default topic.

Harvey