23 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2016 7:57 AM by Mr_Bimg

Weird tracking artifacts while dragging elements in InDesign

sleeptestenn

For the last two days, I've been getting this weird tracking artifact when dragging an element on top of a semi-transparant background. 

I can't seem to figure out how to resolve this.  I even de/re-installed InDesign, and then the entire Adobe Suite. 

Im running Lion (10.7.2)  on a MacBook Pro with a 250 GB SSD and 8 gigs of Ram.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Screenshot: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16762916/Slingshot/Pictures/Screen%20Shot%202012-02-03%20at%209.03 .12%20AM.png

• 2. Re: Weird tracking artifacts while dragging elements in InDesign
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Try setting Live Screen Drawing to Delayed in the prefs.

Does the artifact disappear if you scroll the sreen past it, then back, using either the hand tool or the scroll thumb on the edge of the window by any chance?

• 3. Re: Weird tracking artifacts while dragging elements in InDesign
            sleeptestenn Level 1

Thanks Peter.

Ok.  Changed settings.  The artifacting doen't happen anymore.. but of course, I'm now dragging around invisible elements. 

Re: scrolling:  under my old settings, the artifact would not 'stick'. It only showed up when actually dragging.  Once I released, it'd go back to normal. But of course, very distracting..

Is there a fix that let's me keep Screen drawing on without the real-time distortion?

• 4. Re: Weird tracking artifacts while dragging elements in InDesign

You didn't answer whether using the hand tool or scroll button worked to remove it. I've been seeing a bug that causes the screen to get stuck in a low-res preview when I use the scroll wheel on my mouse (I'm on windows), and I'm thinking this might be related. I've found it sufficient to invoke the hand tool with the KB Shortcuts to reset the screen, buy your problem may be different.

Not much better than setting draw to delayed might be to try using Typical instead of High Quality display.

• 5. Re: Weird tracking artifacts while dragging elements in InDesign
                sleeptestenn Level 1

Hmm. I think we're on different wavelengths.  There's no way (that I am aware of) to try to clear artifacts that are only present *while* placing/moving/dragging an element - which is the context for my artifacting. 

By the time I get to the hand tool, they're gone.

I tried switching in and out of hand tool via key command, a few times, but there was no effect that I could see.  Scrolling also has no effect.

Any other ideas for this error?

• 6. Re: Weird tracking artifacts while dragging elements in InDesign

Clearly we are not communicating. You said the artifact shows up when you drag the image, not when you place it (maybe you meant "position" in your previous post -- we need to be careful how we use words like Place that have special meanings in ID).  Now you've said the artifact clears up before you can select the hand tool. Does that mean it goes away on its own when you release the object you just dragged? I thought you meant this artifact remained on the screen.

• 7. Re: Weird tracking artifacts while dragging elements in InDesign
                    sleeptestenn Level 1

My apologies if I'm not using the correct jargon.  This should clear things up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TysWEn4M6OI

• 8. Re: Weird tracking artifacts while dragging elements in InDesign

Yes, that's clear. And I hope you don't think I was yelling at you for using the wrong term, just pointing ou that for those of us who provide support, we see certain words and the special meanings are ingrained, so I got confused by your usage of "place" which I interpret as "import" or perhaps "bring onto the page," but not to move around once it's there. That's why I asked you to clarify for me.

The bad news is this looks to me like it's probably a hardware issue, not a bug, or anything you are doing wrong or can set differently. But I'm a Windows user, so I'm not up on all the Mac conflicts (having Chrome, open, for example, can adversely affect ID, and I think there are some issues when Mail is open too, though I think tose are limited to working with attachments).

• 9. Re: Weird tracking artifacts while dragging elements in InDesign
                        sleeptestenn Level 1

No worries.  I'm a bit tired. 

As for this being a hardware issue.. is there any way you can pass this case along to someone who might have some ideas about mac conflicts?  I tried running *only* indesign, but that didn't resolve the issue.  Not sure what else this could be.

Any further help would be awesome. Thanks Peter.

• 10. Re: Weird tracking artifacts while dragging elements in InDesign

I honestly don't know who to pass it on to. Does your MacBook Pro have a dedicated video card? If so, which one and how much RAM is on it? Are there any driver updates (or downgrades) for it that you could try? Maybe on of our other Mac users has seen this and has some insight.

• 11. Re: Weird tracking artifacts while dragging elements in InDesign
                            sleeptestenn Level 1

Anyone you can refer to this thread would be helpful.

Below is more info on my video card, though, there shouldn't be a problem. It's a brand new machine. 

But if you see a red flag here, let me know.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16762916/Slingshot/Pictures/Screen%20Shot%202012-02-03%20at%201.06.26%20PM.png

• 12. Re: Weird tracking artifacts while dragging elements in InDesign

You'll just have to wait and see if anyone else has ideas, but looking at the spec, I see you have only 512 mb of video RAM. I'd call that a bare minimum to run one monitor, let alone the two you seem to have going. I'm not at all surprised you have trouble with Live Screen Drawing.

• 13. Re: Weird tracking artifacts while dragging elements in InDesign
                                BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I have seen this in the past but honestly it was a hit or miss kind of thing and I never pursued it. FWIW it was on Windows so this isn't a Mac specific thing either.

Bob

• 14. Re: Weird tracking artifacts while dragging elements in InDesign
                                  sleeptestenn Level 1

Peter. 

I'm grateful for your help, but are you trying to tell me that Adobe doesn't have anyone on support staff who uses a mac? 

Secondly.  A brand new macbook pro should be more than capable of running a second display.

Third.  When the second display is disconnected, the problem persists.

Last.  Yes. As per your apology above, you do seem to have a bit of a tone.  And yes, I know you field questions all day for a living (I am also on a support team).  This has not been helpful.

• 15. Re: Weird tracking artifacts while dragging elements in InDesign
                                    BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Peter doesn’t work for Adobe…he is a volunteer here, just as I am.

Bob

• 16. Re: Weird tracking artifacts while dragging elements in InDesign
                                      sleeptestenn Level 1

Ok. My mistake. Thanks for clarifying Bob.

I assumed, that the titles 'Community Professional' indicated affiliation. 

My apologies.

• 17. Re: Weird tracking artifacts while dragging elements in InDesign

These are user-to-user forums. I think once upon a time the links said that clearly, but it certainly is a bit less obvious now, though the "Learning" page description does say users share their knowledge. No harm done and you are not the only one who comes here thinking they are on a direct line to Adobe. Adobe employees, when they appear, have clearly labeled badges.

I'm really sorry you thought I was taking a tone with you. That was most definitiely not my intention. It's extremely difficult to judge meaning and inflection from a written post, as I'm guessing you must know if you also do support this way. The shortcoming in communication was not a blame situation -- I was trying to let you understand where the breakdown was -- I'm trained to understand some words in particuolar contexts here, and it isn't always correct, and I also apparently misunderstood from the beginning that your screen artifacts didn't get left behind, probably because I'm used to seeing ones that do (mostly in CS3) and I had the scroll bug in mind. These things happen, and we need to let each other know when we aren't communicating, and try to get it right as we move forward.

"Secondly.  A brand new macbook pro should be more than capable of running a second display."

OK, this is another case of not quite communicating, I guess. Live Screen Drawing is a LOT more intense video usage than most applications have. It's kind of like trying to watch a movie full screen. That takes a lot more video power than just throwing static images onto two screens. By way of comparison, I have twice the video RAM that's on your system, and probably more processing power, too, and I drive only one monitor, and I STILL don't use Live Screen Drawing because it works so badly. It shouldn't be on by default because practically no computer in the wild can make it run smoothly, but it got set that way because it's a new feature in CS5 and they wanted people to "discover" it. You have no idea how often we have to suggest to users that they turn it off to regain control of their screens.

• 18. Re: Weird tracking artifacts while dragging elements in InDesign
                                          lilia@ Level 2

I just skimmed through this thread... hope that's ok... but here's my take on it.

Typical quality display is probably the best way to work... and adjust your settings for live redraw.... give a couple of seconds or so (as previously said above).

place your background on a seperate layer (if you havent already), maybe lock it?.

The shortcut for screen refresh is Shift + F5 (saves scrolling up/down or in/out)... must say not sure if it works on a mac.

• 19. Re: Weird tracking artifacts while dragging elements in InDesign
                                            John Hawkinson Level 5

I don't have much to say about the real problem here, I'm afraid.

You'll just have to wait and see if anyone else has ideas, but looking at the spec, I see you have only 512 mb of video RAM. I'd call that a bare minimum to run one monitor, let alone the two you seem to have going. I'm not at all surprised you have trouble with Live Screen Drawing.

The reported video RAM is really only used for GPU processing, I think. My impression is that InDesign doesn't really use any serious GPU accelleration, so I think that there's little relevance to the video RAM number. I think Live Screen Drawing is really all about regular CPU right now.

sleeptestenn:

For the last two days, I've been getting this weird tracking artifact when dragging an element on top of a semi-transparant background. 

So, is it really only for the last two days, and previously you did not see it?

Have you tried Trashing Your InDesign Preferences?

Run any video processing benchmarks?

Try booting the Mac in Safe Mode?

• 20. Re: Weird tracking artifacts while dragging elements in InDesign
                                              sleeptestenn Level 1

Thanks to all of you for chiming in on this one.  And again, my apologies for the earlier misunderstanding.

@Lilia - yeah. trying that layer solution (locking etc) didn't seem to have any effect. 

@John - yes. tried trashing prefs, restarting etc.. none of it helped.  Haven't yet booted mac in safemode, but may give it a go when I have some time.

Thanks again to all!

• 21. Re: Weird tracking artifacts while dragging elements in InDesign
                                                samallen3

I have the same thing happen to me.  I think it may have something to do with the transparency settings of the object below the one you are moving.  Also, if the object contains a gradient applied in InDesign, this happens.  I also found that working with layers helps to avoid any problems with items not displaying like they should. 

I have found that this is an unavoidable problem, unless you want to upgrade your video memory as mentioned above.  The Creative Suite works beautifuly when the system it's running on has enough resources to pull from.

• 22. Re: Weird tracking artifacts while dragging elements in InDesign
                                                  lilia@ Level 2

did you try it with the layer as far down on the stacking order as it can go? meaning on the bottom.

• 23. Re: Weird tracking artifacts while dragging elements in InDesign
                                                    Mr_Bimg Level 1

I'm having different screen artifacts issue when GPU is on. I have Live Screen Drawing set to delayed. When I resize a text box its creates small track mark artifacts on the screen (circled in green) and when I zoom out they disappear, zoom back in and they reappear.

I'm on iMac Retina (AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4096 MB) Sierra (this was happening before Sierra upgrade) with latest IND CC.Screen Shot 2016-10-31 at 10.45.32 AM.png