8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2012 2:22 PM by kglad

Export problems and more!

gerubach

To whomever this may concern:

(Rant start): Oct. 27th, 2011 was a terrible day. It was the day that my Macromedia 2004 MX Flash quit working. It forced spend an huge amount of  money on Adobe's Flash CS 5.5 which has not impressed me at all. It wasn't the fact that it limits one to 16000 frames of animation or the fact that it limits you to importing a 8100 pixel width of an image. Nope. I was able to deal with those problems. However, the straw that broke the camel's back came when all the work, creativity and love I put into my animations could not even be enjoyed outside of the stupid limitations of the (Adobe) flash timeline. The quicktime export (a H.264 compression) either dropped frames or duplicated them!! This resulted in an unsmooth, jittery and UNprofessional presentation!! Before spending on this mediocore software I made sure of the system requirements: OS 10.5.8 (check), 1GB of Memory (I have 3GB... check), Quicktime 7.6.2 (I have 7.7... check). I played by the rules and when I spoke to the Tech Support representative (who's English was just as mediocore as this software) he told me he'd get back to me. It's been 5 days and my problem is not solved. My projects have been delayed and I am losing clients as well as my patience. To the "fatcats" of Adobe: I know I am raindrop in your huge pail of an empire. You've trained your minons to calmly repond with "I am sorry. We no longer service Marcromedia" but Iet me remind you that small drops can overfill a pail. I am one of those drops. (Rant ended).

Problem: My animation is a piano music scrolling from right to left at 30 fps. The bitmaps are approximantly 6000px(w) x 197(h) and all under 300k. These bitmaps have been converted into symbols for them to tween across the stage. There are 16 bitmaps total and each bitmap takes under 50 seconds to scroll from one side to the other until another bitmap takes over to keep the flow of music uninterupped. The timeline (as well as the Quicktime H.264 export) is plagued with short stutters, jittering and is unsmooth. I have used smoothing in the bitmap properites. I have restarted my computer and exported without any applications on. I have reduced the bitmaps to gifs. (Hell... I even unplugged my internet modem!!!). Nothing I do seems to provide me with an smooth animation!!!

Here are my specificaions:

MAC OS: 10.5.8

Quicktime: Pro 7.7

Memory: 3GB

I have no hope that Adobe can help... well they are providing a Forum so I should give them some credit.

Gerubach

• 1. Re: Export problems and more!
          gerubach Level 1

6 days without Adobe Tech support.

• 2. Re: Export problems and more!
            kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

enable the cacheAsBitmap property of your tweening symbols.  (hopefully, they're movieclips.)

• 3. Re: Export problems and more!
              gerubach Level 1

kglad.

Let me, first, thank you for taking the time to help me out.

I'm afraid the bitmaps in my animation have been converted into graphics, not movieclips.

I could go ahead and convert them.

However, at the risk of imposing, I would please ask of you to explain how to

"enable the cacheAsBitmap property of [my] tweening symbols".

My bitmap is called: F1 Where

I belive the code is: F1.cacheAsBitmap = true;

Where do I type this code? In the behaviors panel? In the actions panel? To the keyframe?

Please forgive my ignorance. MX 2004 never required codes for simple left to right tweening.

Gerubach

• 4. Re: Export problems and more!

bitmaps are already cached.  so, they don't have a cacheAsBitmap property and if you were tweening bitmaps, you wouldn't have a problem.

also, graphic objects don't have a cacheAsBitmap property so there's no way to cache them.  if you insist on use them, you don't have much you can do to enhance performance of your swf unless you start crippling your app.

movieclips have a cacheAsBitmap should significantly enhance your swf's performance if your tweens are limited to x,y changes.  cache them all.   if any part of your stage is visible, create a stage sized movieclip with your stage's background color, put in your lowest layer and enable it's cacheAsBitmap.

you can enable the cacheAsBitmap property of a movieclip in the properties panel (after selecting the movieclip) or using actionscript (after assigning the movieclip an instance name - eg, mc -  and applying mc.cacheAsBitmap=true; in the actions panel).

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Export problems and more!
                  gerubach Level 1

kglad,

You have been most helpful and I am very greatful for the time you've invested in solving my (ALAS!) problem. I, regretfully, must impose on you one last inquiry and please do forgive this novice for taking up so much of your time. If I have several keyframes (let's say between 30 and 40 all tweening) on one layer, does every keyframe on that layer need the action or do I only apply it to the first keyframe?

A thousand pardons for this last question. You've been very helpful and I really feel bad imposing on you once again.

Gerubach

P.S. I final presentation is to be in a Quicktime Movie format and not a SWF. YouTube does not accept SWF files.

• 6. Re: Export problems and more!

the answer to your question depends on what was done in those keyframes and when it was done.

in the simplest situation (explained below), you only need to enable the cacheAsBitmap once:

you add a movieclip to keyframe N and assign its instance name.  you then add any number of keyframes after that (never removing/re-adding your movieclip) and you can change your movieclip's properties in those keyframes and you can create tweens between the keyframes.

if you do anything other than that like, for example, add a movieclip to keyframe N, then add more keyframes, then go back and assign instance names to your movieclip in the keyframes.  you need to enable the cacheAsBitmap property in each keyframe.  it doesn't matter that you use the same instance name in each keyframe.  flash considers each of those keyframe movieclips to be different instances.

p.s.  please mark helpful/correct responses, if there are any.

1 person found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Export problems and more!
                      gerubach Level 1

7 days without Adobe Tech support.

• 8. Re: Export problems and more!

they're not likely to offer any help on this.  it's not a product issue.  it's a user issue.