2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2012 12:41 PM by ricky.v

Generating PDF Dialog

ricky.v

Hello!

Really looking for some help with this random problem I have with Indesign.

I'm running Adobe Indesign CS3 on Mac Lion. I've been working on a 84 page magazine all day. I have been exporting random pages and other files from indesign to pdf for proofs to clients etc.

We go to print on Monday and the magazine is ready to go. I went to File > Export then selected Adobe PDF. Just doing a low res export at the moment to go through proofing everything.

Press ok. The window "Generating PDF" appears. Exporting page 1 is at the top. Then the bottom bar "Downloading Image" moves across the bottom. Once the bar has finished the Generating PDF box disappears!

I've tried it with the same file on my MacBook and now on my iMac, but it just will not export to PDF.

I've tried exporting other inDesign documents and they export to PDF perfectly fine.

Does anyone know what may be the reason why I am unable to export from the inDesign document?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Generating PDF Dialog
          Joel Cherney Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Does anyone know what may be the reason why I am unable to export from the inDesign document?

Well, I don't know, but I can guess:

I'm running Adobe Indesign CS3 on Mac Lion.

Running an app released in 2007 on an OS released in 2011, that's my guess. Are both your MacBook and your iMac running Lion? Is there any non-Lion machine with CS3 installed that you can try?

Mind you, this is just a guess - it could be something wrong with the document itself, the install of InDesign, et cetera. But Mac OS changes a fair bit from release to release, so it's not always easy or possible to run old software on new operating systems. Still, it may be not be incompatibility, but something else; try exporting just the first page to PDF (or just any one page, it needn't be the first) to see if you can export PDF at all.

• 2. Re: Generating PDF Dialog
            ricky.v Level 1

I've just sorted it, VERY strange.

On the 2nd page there is an advert which I created for a client. Saved it as a PDF and dropped it into the magazine.

That was somehow causing it to stop? So I've placed the indesign files in there instead of the PDF.

Now its generating a PDF all fine.

Thank you anyway!