4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2012 3:15 AM by Peter Spier

When I edit paragraph/character styles, InDesign CS5 crashes.

ARX-7 Level 1

Windows Vista

InDesign CS5

When I edit paragraph/character styles, InDesign CS5 crashes. What can I do?

-     I'm from Japan. I hope you will forgive me that I'm not good at English. (There are only a few people in Adobe Japan Forum......)

• 1. Re: When I edit paragraph/character styles, InDesign CS5 crashes.
          ARX-7 Level 1

Just to make sure, I write the same message in Japanese.

念のため、同じ質問を日本語で書いておきます。

Windows VistaでInDesign CS5を使っています。

段落スタイルや文字スタイルを編集すると、InDesign CS5がフリーズしてしまいます。何か解決策があれば、教えていただけるとありがたいです。

-     私は日本人ですので、片言の英語ですがご理解いただければ幸いです。(いかんせん日本のAdobe Forumはユーザーが少ないもので……。)

• 2. Re: When I edit paragraph/character styles, InDesign CS5 crashes.
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Windows doesn't provide much in the way of useful error reporting, but please give us whatever you can, both any error messages, and anything from Event Viewer that you can find.

Aside from that, my first thought is this could be a problem with a bad font, but it's very hard to know. You might also want to try turning off Live Preflight, and of course, do ing the very first trouble-shooting steps, for a problem in a single document export to .idml (see Remove minor corruption by exporting) and for problems that affect many files trash your preferences (see Replace Your Preferences).

• 3. Re: When I edit paragraph/character styles, InDesign CS5 crashes.
              ARX-7 Level 1

>Windows doesn't provide much in the way of useful error reporting, but please give us whatever you can, both any error messages, and anything from Event Viewer that you can find.

There is no information about the error. When I edit paragraph/character styles and push [OK], InDesign CS5 (ID) completely freezes and I should terminate ID via the Task Manager, so Windows may not recognize the trouble as an error.

>Aside from that, my first thought is this could be a problem with a bad font, but it's very hard to know. You might also want to try turning off Live Preflight, and of course, do ing the very first trouble-shooting steps, for a problem in a single document export to .idml (see Remove minor corruption by exporting) and for problems that affect many files trash your preferences (see Replace Your Preferences).

I tried turning off Live Preflight and exporting a document to .idml and open again.

Live Preflight: I could turn off, but the error wasn't solved.

.idml: I could export to .idml, but I couldn't open the .idml file. While opening it, ID freezes. (So I couldn't make the .idx file...)

P.S. I discovered that ID also freezes when I make a new synthesized font and push [OK]. (I'm not sure whether there is this function in ID non-Japaese ver. or not...)

• 4. Re: When I edit paragraph/character styles, InDesign CS5 crashes.
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

OK. let's try going way out on a limb here and suggest trying to disable the SING technology (I hesitate to to have you do this since it sounds like you might actually be one of the 1% of users who actually make use of it, but it's worth a try to see if in fact it is the problem. If you just move the stuf rather than deleting, you can move it back if you need it and it doesn't solve the problem). See SING Removal