5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2012 10:46 AM by RjL190365

Need help to choose Graphic card

sankoor2012 Level 1

Hi this is sankoor from india,

i am confused to select graphic card,i have a short film about half an hour,now it is the time to edit but the issue is,it is a canon 5d mark ii 1920x1080 24p footage i want to edit this in premiere pro cs5.i saw quadro 4000 card but it is too expensive for me,my system details is windows 7,intel i5 processor,gigabyte new motherboard,8 gb ram ddr, can any one plz help me which card is good to edit my shortfilm plz give me cheap and best graphic card to my requirement,thanks

• 1. Re: Need help to choose Graphic card
          Harm Millaard Level 7

nVidia GTX 560 Ti or better.

• 2. Re: Need help to choose Graphic card
            sankoor2012 Level 1

i am confused about gtx560Ti and gtx570,gtx580 etc,plz tell one perfect best graphic card to run canon 1920x1080 footage on adobe premiere pro cs5 ,thanks

• 3. Re: Need help to choose Graphic card
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Perfect for what budget?

Quadro 6000 plus a Tesla C2075 in Maximus configuration for around € 6400 may not fit your budget. With your CPU and memory and presumabely lacking disk setup it is a waste of money to get anything more that a 560 Ti, since the rest of your system is simply too weak. Rather than spend € 6400 on a perfect video solution, get a better CPU, more memory and a better disk setup instead.

• 4. Re: Need help to choose Graphic card
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Here's an article with resources about choosing a graphics card:

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/adobe/story/resources_for_choosing_a_graphics_card_ for_adobe_premiere_pro/

Pay special attention to the reference to the PPBM5 test results, which show results of real-world usage by many people.

• 5. Re: Need help to choose Graphic card
                  RjL190365 Level 4

A balanced configuration is best. There is a level within the GeForce GTX series line where any improvements in performance would be held back by the CPU. With a Sandy Bridge i5-2xxx series CPU with four cores and no HyperThreading, this limit falls around the GTX 560 Ti level. Any higher than a GTX 560 Ti (384-core) and the performance improvement becomes significantly smaller than the cost difference between the two cards being compared (and I'm talking about the percentage improvement in performance versus percentage of the total cost of an entire PC, not just the cost of the GPU). What this means is that to take full advantage of anything above a GTX 560 Ti (original 384-core version) you will need an i7-2600 or faster CPU. And even an overclocked i7-2600K does not take full advantage of a GTX 580 given the minimal performance difference between that GPU and a GTX 560 Ti 448-core (as Bill's testing discovered).

With that said, however, I would not recommend anything lower than a GTX 550 Ti (192 cores, with a 192-bit GDDR5 memory bus) unless you have a very old, very slow, lower-end CPU such as a Core 2 Duo. This is because the GTX 550 Ti is at a level where performance in a modern PC starts to drop off substantially if one goes any lower in the nVidia GPU line. Even an entry-level Sandy Bridge i3 dual-core CPU showed significant performance improvements with a higher-end GPU (the 336-core GTX 560 non-Ti, in this example) versus a lower-end GPU (such as a 96-core GT 440).