4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2012 10:08 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Timeline question

Arrakis Level 1

I notice when I create a new comp that in the timeline there is a small area  to the right of the  indicator that is light grey and also the green render bar is the same length of this light grey area - see pic.    When I try to put my TL inidcator to the end of the timeline it never goes right to the end because the light grey area moves with it and the timeline indicator cannot go any further than it.  Im confused by this because I want to put a Keyframe on the last frame and I use the indicator to line up where I want to place it but if My indicator doesnt go to the end then I cant.   see second image     What is happening here? 

Screen Shot 2012-02-04 at 6.03.10 PM.pngScreen Shot 2012-02-04 at 6.06.40 PM.png

• 1. Re: Timeline question
          Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

The width of the lighter grey area, and of the green RAM preview line, is one frame.  Note that the space between 0 and 5 frames is exactly 5 times the width of the light grey area.

At the end of the timeline, the area in light grey is the duration of the final frame.

• 2. Re: Timeline question
            Arrakis Level 1

But how do I get the indicator to the end?   What If I want a keyframe on the 2 second mark?

• 3. Re: Timeline question
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The last frame is the last frame. Think of the indicator as an L. The | is the start of the frame, the _ is the end of the frame. In this case the last frame starts one frame duration before 2 seconds and ends at 2 seconds. The total length of your comp is 2 seconds.

If you want to put a keyframe past the end of the composition, like you would do if you were to create a seamless loop, then just use the page down key to go to the last frame + 1 and put the keyframe there. If you want the keyframe to be on the last frame of the comp then just go to the last frame. 

There's no problem with AE, there's only a problem with the way you're interpreting the indicators.

• 4. Re: Timeline question
                Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Just to reinforce what the others are saying:

The current-time indicator sits at the beginning of the frame. Your screenshots show that you are on the last frame.