6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2012 2:42 PM by Steve Grisetti

Load old projects in Premiere Elements 10 - Titles corrupt

km79 Level 1

Hi,

if I open video projects I created with Premiere Elements 8 in Premiere Elements 10, all my text in the titles is missing.

Even if I export the titles manually as .prtl files from PE 8 and import them into PE 10, the text is still corrupt, since all text boxes seems to have a width of 0.

How can I fix this problem?

Thanks

Konrad

• 1. Re: Load old projects in Premiere Elements 10 - Titles corrupt
          nealeh Level 5

km79 wrote:

open video projects I created with Premiere Elements 8 in Premiere Elements 10

Generally opening old version projects with a newer version is not recommended. It invariably causes problems and you're lucky you can still open the project in PRE8 at all.

Both versions of PRE can coexist so I suggest that you retain PRE8 for working with your older projects.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Load old projects in Premiere Elements 10 - Titles corrupt
            km79 Level 1

But I designed a lot of titles for weekly videos with PE 8 and want to reuse them in PE 10 ... What I don't want: Use PE 10 edited projects in PE 8, sure.

But shouldn't this the normal behaviour, to load files from older versions of a program? I can open Word 2003 files in Word 2010 ... and also open Photoshop 10 files in PS CS 5 ... so why not open PE 8 projects in PE 10?

• 3. Re: Load old projects in Premiere Elements 10 - Titles corrupt
              nealeh Level 5

I never had PRE8, but my PRE9 exported titles work fine with PRE10. Hopefully another PRE8 user can check to see if they can get it to work.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Load old projects in Premiere Elements 10 - Titles corrupt
                km79 Level 1

Maybe I can try to find a trial version of PE9, load the PE8 projects there and export the titles ...

• 5. Re: Load old projects in Premiere Elements 10 - Titles corrupt
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Km,

Since the specs. of Titles has not changed in many versions, and they are defined by pretty solid XML, this surprises me. That you are having issues with PRTL Templates is a bigger puzzle, as they should work in all versions, at least back to about PrE 3. Something else is wrong.

This is but a guess, here, but can you tell us what font was used in those Titles and Title Templates?

Did you have any Text Styles applied? If so, do you recall what they were?

As a test, when you open one of those Titles (or one of the Title Templates) into Titler, and then use the Selection Tool (the little arrowhead symbol at the top of the Toolbox), to reveal the Bounding Box. Is that Bounding Box collapsed? If so, you should still see some Handles (little squares at the corners, top and bottom). Click-drag on the side Handle, to expand the Text Box. Do you see anything then?

Another thought - as this could be a display issue, I would update my video driver, to the very latest, from the mfgr's. Web site (do not trust Windows, or any utility to check for the video driver updates). Test.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Load old projects in Premiere Elements 10 - Titles corrupt
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Just to be clear: No matter which version of the program you have, you will not be able to export the project file in a format that is still editable in a later version of the program. You must finish your project in the same version you started it in.

Once it's done, though, you can export/Share the finished piece as an AVI or M2T file that you can use in a later version's project.