31 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2012 2:51 AM by nealeh

PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.

glenngary

I burned a project for emailing but it was too large yet successfully burned.  However, everytime that I try to burn a DVD it "unexpectedly stopped working" and the program closed.  This happens a different places during the burn.  Sometimes I get a partial movie burned but not complete.  Sometimes it doesn't burn anything to the disk.  Once it used the entire 4 GBs but I still did not get even half of the movie.  I tried burning it to my C drive as a folder and I have an external "My Book Studio LX" drive also.  Did not make any difference, it stoped and closed.  I thought maybe it was the video edit problem so I played the movie several times and yes it stopped playing and my monitor went black.  I moved my mouse and PE came back up, I then clicked the play button and it resumed playing the movie.  This happened several times during the entire movie.  But it did not freeze and close.

I have an HP Pavilion 8000 operating MS Windows Vista Home Premium 6.0.6002  SP2 Build 6002 with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Procesor and 2 GM memory.

I have tried the suggestion on Adobe about changing the display settings, also made sure I had the latest driver for my NIDVA controler but that didn't work either.

Does anyone have any suggestions other then throwing everything out the window and starting all over?  Which is what I feel like doing at this point!

Thanks

Gary

• 1. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Gary,

Welcome to the forum.

There could be several reasons for behavior such as you describe. Here are two such possibilities:

1. That 2GB RAM is very low, even for a 32-bit OS - assume that your Vista is 32-bit, correct?
          2. How much defragmented, free-space do you have on your C:\ drive? When burning a DVD Project, very large working files are first created, before the VIDEO_TS Folder and fiiles, are written to a disc, or folder.

To rule out some other possibilities, please tell us about your Project, such as the Project's Preset, the Timeline Duration, and then the specs. of the Assets used on that Timeline.

Good luck, and let us know a bit more,

Hunt

• 2. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
            nealeh Level 5

Also check that there is a continuous timeline (no gaps) and you do not have a Stop marker at the very end of the timeline. Also press [\] to fit the entire timeline to your window size - does it extend beyond where you think the ending should be ?

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 3. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
              glenngary Level 1

Hunt,

To answer your questions, 1) The C drive has 291 GB of defrag. free space and the L drive has 1.75 TB,  2) Correct, Vista 32-bit  3) timeline of 1:40 minutes, DV NTSC, 30 fps, frame size 720, H 480 V 4:3 Recorded DV and captured AVI.  I used the video as it was captured but unlinked the audio and laid another audio track and deleted empty tracks.  I added a disk menu only, no scene titles, no timeline markers at all and no editing at all except for the audio.  What else can I tell you?

Neale,

One of the first things I did was check for gaps in the time line.  I tried to press [/] but it did nothing.  Sorry.  Oh, I don't see anything at the end, the video just ends.

Thanks for both of your responses, I hope I can get this thing solved.  I am going out to buy more memory tomorrow or a new system one.

Gary.

• 4. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Gary,

Those free-space stats should be more than adequate.

As for the gaps, they can definitely cause Transcoding to fail. This ARTICLE goes into more detail, plus how to "step through" the Timeline, looking for gaps.

As for the \ (Backslash key), first click in the Timeline,and then hit \, to zoom out to the max, showing the entire Timeline. One can accomplish the same thing with the Timeline horizontal view slider. This ARTICLE goes into more detail, on finding issues on the Timeline.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                  glenngary Level 1

Thanks Hunt,

The \ backslash key, I was hitting the forward slash key.  BTW I was able to render my video to PC for emailing but it was too large to email, but PE did complete the film.  I even burned it to a DVD and was able to play it back on my computer but not a dvd player.  But I haven't been able to get it to work since.   I will read your articles and see if there is anything there that will help.

Gary

• 6. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Gary,

Thanks for that info.

Regarding the playability, please see this ARTICLE.

For e-mailing the file, there are many considerations. First is the format and then the CODEC used. The Bit-Rate, and Duration will then dictate the File Size. One could use a CODEC, like DivX, to get good quality, but at a lower Bit-Rate, however the recipient would need that CODEC, and a player capable of playin it. Another choice would be H.264, and a lower Bit-Rate, and so long as the recipient has a comparable H.264 CODEC, all should be good.

Now, there are some players, that are free, small, AND actually contain most of the common CODEC, like GOM Player, VLC Player and MediaPlayer Classic HC. Those will allow one to use some fairly popular CODEC's and lower the Bit-Rate to fit what their POP accounts can handle. Personally, with AV files, I use a service, YouSendIt, to upload higher quality files, and then e-mail the desired recipient, with a URL to download the file. That keeps any POP account limit out of the mix.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                      nealeh Level 5

glenngary wrote:

Neale,

One of the first things I did was check for gaps in the time line.  I tried to press [/] but it did nothing. 

Oops - my bad. Meant [\]. I see Bill has corrected that, and I've also corrected it in my original post.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 8. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, that is one reason that I try to parenthetically add "(Backslash)," as I too often type the wrong slash!!!

Hunt

• 9. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                          glenngary Level 1

Hunt,

Thank you so much for linking the Articles.  I placed them in my favorites so I can refer back to them quickly.  They have a lot of knowledgeable information in them, jammed packed if I may say.  It has taken me a while to read them and follow the enclosed links to other sites but I have gone through every link through out.  I feel that I have received a semester of higher education, I know a lot more now then I did before.  I appreciate it.

There are so many things to check as I go down the list that it is going to take a while.  Would you recommend upgrading to PE10 from PE8 when I am just learning PE 8 with my first film and should I upgrade my current computer or just buy a new one.  I know a new one would be faster and I could get the power that I need.  My current computer won't recognize the "My Book" 2 TB disk drive with the Firewire cable even though it has the firewire jacks.  I had to use USB2 cable.  I think that is slower than Firewire 400.  I am thinking with a new computer I can get Firewire 800 and USB 3.  What computer would you recommend for Video Production if I decide to buy a new one?

I am going to read the new Article on playability now.  But even so, I still have the problem with PE 8 crashing during dvd burning that I have to resolve.  Thanks again for all your help.

Gary

• 10. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                            glenngary Level 1

WOW, am I getting an education!  Thanks guys and gals.  There is a lot of good information in the forum.

Gary

• 11. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Gary,

We try very hard. At least in my case, I always get an education myself, along the way too!

Hunt

• 12. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                                glenngary Level 1

Hunt,

Sorry, I should not have sent two post together.  You picked up on the last one but missed the one before it.  I asked for your opinion on upgrading.

Thanks

Gary

• 13. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry, and you are correct, in that I missed that question.

Here are my thoughts:

1. PrE 8 seemed to be a rather unstable version. Even some of the "pros" had stability issues with it.
                                  2. PrE 10 has added a lot of useful Project Presets, say for DSLR's
                                  3. PrE 10 seems very stable on an adequate machine. It appears to have a slightly larger resource footprint, than previous versions.
                                  4. PrE 10 offers some features (Steve Grisetti did a full review of it, and covers a lot of "what's new), and some might be worthwhile
                                  5. PrE 10 comes in a 64-bit version, and if one has the equipment and OS for 64-bit, it will be a major improvement

Off the top of my head, that's about all the considerations that I can come up with, but sure that others will have additional thoughs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Here is my review and demos of version 10.

http://Muvipix.com/pe10.php

• 15. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                                      Intrepid17

Steve,

Just by coincidence, I am having the same burn/close problem this afternoon with PE10. I am burning a 22-minute HD project to a folder and PE closes after getting between 4%-7% through the "encoding media" portion of the process. My computer is an HP HPE-270f with an i7-930 quad-core processor, 8GB of DDR3 RAM, a 1TB internal HDD that contains the PE program, and an external 2GB Western Digital HDD that contains the project and media files. I stepped through the entire project looking for video gaps and I did not find any, I removed the Stop marker that I had at the end of the project, and double checked that there was no video after the end. I then did a save-as to give the project a new name but got the same crash during the burn process with the new project. This is very frustrating. I have been a long time user of PE (started with PE2) but I can't seem to resolve this problem.

The Windows overlay when PE crashes says that it is an "APPCRASH" in the "ntdll.dll" module with an exception code of "c000005".

Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thank you in advance.

BTW - I have both of your PE9 books and found them very helpful.

Howard

• 16. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Howard,

What are the Assets on the Timeline at about the 4% - 15%? The reason for those number is because PrE uses a 2-pass Transcode, so that 50% is the end of the first pass of 100% of the Timeline. A full 100% of the process, is 100% of the Timeline, x 2 passes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Not sure if this ARTICLE will be of any use in troubleshooting the ntdll.dll issue, but maybe? Most references that I found were for earlier versions of Windows.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Any CineForm footage involved? Here is a THREAD on ntdll.dll errors in PrPro, with CineForm.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 19. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is an Adobe KB Article on errors with ntdll.dll.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                                                Intrepid17 Level 1

Bill, Steve - thank you for the responses. I took Bill's suggestion to see what is in the 4%-15% beginning (7% of burn process) of the project and, in addition to photos, there was an AVCHD (.mts) clip. I deleted that clip and reran the burn process. This time the process got to 15% complete which would be about 1/3 the way into the project where it may have hit another AVCHD clip. Should I convert the AVCHD clips into a different HD format that PE10 would have an easier time rendering and burning? If so, what do you suggest?

Howard

• 21. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Howard,

In general, AVCHD material should edit natively, with few issues.

Just to check, can you run one of those AVCHD/MTS Clips (assuming that they are from the exact same source), through G-Spot, or MediaInfo, just to see what all of the properties are? It is probably easiest to post a screen-cap of the program, with the file open in it, as that will save a lot of typing.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                                                    Intrepid17 Level 1

Bill - the AVCHD clips were shot using a Sony DSC-HX9V camera at 60fps. Here is the MediaInfo dump on a clip that perhaps PE10 crashed on.

media info.jpg

• 23. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                                                      Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Is your project set up for NTSC Full AVCHD stereo?

• 24. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

What is that Text Stream? I do not recall seeing such in an AVCHD file? Might be normal, and just something that I have never encountered.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 25. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                                                          Intrepid17 Level 1

Steve - I believe I used that as the preset when I created the project. Is there a way that I can check the preset settings now in the project?

Also, could the video files being 60fps be causing any type of issue? Thank you.

• 26. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                                                            Intrepid17 Level 1

Bill - I did a quick google search and PGS text stream is HD subtitles in a AVCHD video. I dont have subtitles in the clips (I dont know how to do that). I checked the other clips from the Sony camera and they all have a video, an audio, and a text stream.

• 27. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I had assumed that it was some sort of Sub-titling, or Closed-caption Stream, but just never recalled seeing it in an AV file. Thank you.

Good luck, and it may have zero to do with your problem.

Hunt

• 28. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

You should be able to go to the Toolbar>Edit>Project Settings, and see how the Project is set up.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 29. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                                                                  Intrepid17 Level 1

Bill - thx, here is shot of the project settings. Do you think the "display format" at 30fps is having issues with the AVCHD clips at 60fps?

pe10 project settings.JPG

• 30. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                                                                    glenngary Level 1

Hi Everyone,  back again.

Howard, I am sorry you are having problems but I am glad to see that I am not the only one with the same problem.  But I am on PE 8 with minimal resources and you are on PE 10 with abundant resources.  Which makes me think that I just wasted a lot of money.  I just bought an Asus i7 Quad Intel processor 3hz., two 750 GB, 7200 rps drives with 16 GB of memory.  But if you are having the same problem with PE10 on the system that you have and my new system is not going to solve that problem.  Maybe!  Actually, I know it is going to be better than what I had, but doesn't sound like it is going to be the whole problem.

Hunt, glad to hear that PE 10 is more stable.  I also picked up a book on PE 8.  I wonder if I can take it back and exchange it for a PE 10?  LOL.  This was the only PE 8 book in the whole store.  Guess that shows how old PE 8 is.  My new computer is a laptop so I can edit anywhere I go now.  I don't know if all this will make any difference but I will let you know once I get the new computer set up and my files transferred over.

Gary

• 31. Re: PE 8 quits working & closes during DVD burn.
                                                                      nealeh Level 5

I have the exact same camera. However I choose to shoot in HQ mode (1440x1080i) and this loads perfectly (no red lines) into PRE10 using the HDV1080i Project Preset.

Cheers,

--

Neale