10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2012 7:24 PM by wonderspark

Opinion of Areca ARC-1110 RAID Controller?

RFDPiper Level 1

I'm planning on adding a RAID set to my computer.  I'm looking for a good RAID card in the $200-300ish range.  What is the opinion of this card?  I've been reading that Areca is an excellent product, but I wasn't sure if there were any strong opinions or fineprint about this card.

Using an Asus Sabertooth X58 motherboard

Also, did I hear something about installing a card like this will hurt my graphics card performance, or was that my imagination?  GPU is Nvidia Quadro 4000

Thanks,

Bryan

• 1. Re: Opinion of Areca ARC-1110 RAID Controller?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Areca is very good, but the 1100 range is several generations old. The current version is the 1882 range and they are far better, faster and easier to manage.

The degradation of video card performance only applies to the 1155 platform, not the 1366 platform. So it does not apply to you.

• 2. Re: Opinion of Areca ARC-1110 RAID Controller?
            RjL190365 Level 4

Bryan,

Like Harm stated, that particular Areca card is an old, outdated design. Unfortunately, most RAID cards under $500 do not improve editing performance sufficiently over an onboard software RAID to justify even their seemingly low cost. In other words, you will need to spend well over $1,000 (for the card by itself), plus the cost of any additional drives, in order to get a card that actually improves performance and reliability noticeably over onboard software RAID or an onboard aid0.

And the ARC-1110 that you're considering will not fit into any of the PCI-e slots at all. That's because that card is a PCI-x card which is not compatible at all with PCI-e but is compatible with legacy PCI slots. That means that on your particular Sabertooth X58 mobo, the only slot that you can use that card in is a legacy PCI slot, which is limited in maximum theoretical bandwidth to 133 MB/s. Unfortunately, modern hard drives (even single ones) can (and do) exceed that already, making the entire PCI-Legacy bus a bottleneck for any single modern hard drive. And forget about using the ARC-1110's RAID feature since it will still be limited by the PCI-Legacy bus (whiose maximum practical bandwidth is limited to only about 125 MB/s even with no other legacy PCI cards installed).

In other words, you are trying to buy the wrong RAID card for your particular system. You were trying to believe that PCI-x is the same as PCI-e when they are both totally different interfaces.

• 3. Re: Opinion of Areca ARC-1110 RAID Controller?
              RFDPiper Level 1

I sure appreciate you guys and all your help.  Please don't think I'm ignoring your advice, but a thousand dollars for a controller card is just not an option for me.  I am a hobbyist who would like a raid set comperable to the performance of my onboard motherboard raid controller (already dedicated to another raid set), for a reasonable price.  Thanks for letting me know about the incompatability of the last card I was asking about.  I still don't have all the jargon down enough to fully decipher the specs.  How about LSI?  They're good right?  As far as a cheaper solution, what do you think of the MegaRAID 92xx series, something like the MegaRAID SATA/SAS 9260-4i?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816118107

-Bryan

• 4. Re: Opinion of Areca ARC-1110 RAID Controller?
                Jim_Simon Level 9

you will need to spend well over $1,000 in order to get performance and reliability noticeably over onboard software RAID

Two things.  First, I find that very, very difficult to believe.  You can spend less than half that on an Areca that will do RAID 3, and that performance will best any built-in/software RAID.

Second, adding a RAID isn't always about just improving performance.  Sometimes it's more about adding security, especially with solid state media which has no tape backup sitting on a shelf in case of drive failure.  AVCHD needs no more disk bandwidth than DV, but smart editors will have some kind of data protection in place.  A RAID can serve that purpose nicely.

• 5. Re: Opinion of Areca ARC-1110 RAID Controller?
                  RFDPiper Level 1

Thanks Jim.  Do you suggest a particular Areca model that would work for me?  If not, would I be better off using a single drive (Velociraptor 300GB 3Gbs) instead of a $300ish RAID controller?  This will be for my media/assets drive.  I am using the onboard RAID controller for my render drive.

Also, I work mostly with HDV and DSLR footage with occasional 4.2.2. for chromakey work

• 6. Re: Opinion of Areca ARC-1110 RAID Controller?
                    wonderspark Level 1

I paid $650 or so for my Areca 1880ix-12. It's attached to a Sans Digital TR8X with eight 2TB disks in RAID6 via mini-SAS, and helps make editing DSLR footage a pleasure. It's more than $300, but it has 16 ports, and that's a lot of bang for the buck.

• 7. Re: Opinion of Areca ARC-1110 RAID Controller?
                      RFDPiper Level 1

$650?  Where?  The cheapest I've seen it is $899

• 8. Re: Opinion of Areca ARC-1110 RAID Controller?
                        wonderspark Level 1

It was either PC PitStop or Provantage. I forget now, since I've used both a lot. Seems PC Pit Stop has gone up to $699 now.

--> Separate link: http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sas_controllers/ARC1880IX12.asp

• 9. Re: Opinion of Areca ARC-1110 RAID Controller?
                          RFDPiper Level 1

So here's a couple of dumb questions before I make my final decision.  Will the ARC-1880ix enable me to build multiple RAID arrays, or just one?  Also, will it take 3gbs HDDs or just 6gbs drives?  Can I put 3gbs drives in one array and 6gbs drives in a separate array and have them all controlled by the 1880ix?  I ask because those are the drives I currently have.  I don't want to spend money on more drives, especially if I do buy this card.

Thanks

• 10. Re: Opinion of Areca ARC-1110 RAID Controller?
                            wonderspark Level 1

You can run multiple RAIDs, but you can't mix RAID and JBOD. You can build any combo of RAIDs among the supported RAID levels, 0, 1, 3, 5, 6, and so on. I'm using WD2003FYYS disks, which are 3Gbps, but you can run 6Gbps drives in there as well. Here's some tech data from their site. --> Separate link: http://www.areca.com.tw/products/1880.htm

You should be aware that it has only one external port (SFF-8088) so if you run the internals to external enclosures, you'll need to buy cables that are SFF-8087 --> SFF-8088 for many enclosures.  --> link: http://www.pc-pitstop.com/sas_cables_adapters/8887-1M.asp

Another option, if you only need 8 ports, is the 1880X or 1882X. It has only two external ports, no internal ones. I wanted the expansion option, so I got one with more ports. They also make the ix-16 and ix-24 if you plan to want even more ports.