7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2012 7:37 AM by the_wine_snob

How do I eliminate two white rectangular borders around perimeter of screen.

artanddecco

Am in a learning process. I must have done something in error, as I have two white rectangular borders around the screen. I have binned all imported media, and opened a new project, but the two borders are still there on the blank black screen. How I can I elimate them Also is it possible to move a project to trash so the old title no longer appears under 'recent project'

• 1. Re: How do I eliminate two white rectangular borders around perimeter of screen.
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Can you furnish more info, please?

• What version of PrE are you using?
          • What is your OS?
          • What are the full specs. of your Source Footage?
          • What Project Preset did you choose at New Project?
          • Where are you seeing those white rectangles, such as the Program Monitor?
          • Can you post a screen-cap, showing those white rectangles?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: How do I eliminate two white rectangular borders around perimeter of screen.
            artanddecco Level 1

Thanks Bill for your reply.  I use PrE10, OSX10.5.8, My source footage: Please bear with me here, as I am a novice. It was shot on a miniDV camera with HD and then uploaded to iMovie, no problems here, but now that I am just installed PrE10, I wanted to get to know my new software, so imported the media into PrE10. No problem initially, I did not get the problem rectangles, but they suddenly appeared later. These seem to be the recangle you get on the monitor when you use titles, but initially I used titles, and the rectangles disapeared afterwards. Project preset was PAL DV Wide Screen. I enclose screen-cap, I appreciate your interest, am unable to use PE untill this is solved.Also, have you any comment on my second query above,

Best regards, John

• 3. Re: How do I eliminate two white rectangular borders around perimeter of screen.
              artanddecco Level 1

Hi Bill, Screen Cap did not show, so will try with smaller image :-

• 4. Re: How do I eliminate two white rectangular borders around perimeter of screen.
                artanddecco Level 1

Hi Bill, It looks as if I have solved the mystery. I was able to untick 'Safe Margins' and now they have gone. I still cannot understand how at first they disapeared from screen, but later they were there permanently.  I would still like to know how I after I thrash a project, I can ensure it does not appear under 'recent project.

Best regards

John

• 5. Re: How do I eliminate two white rectangular borders around perimeter of screen.
                  nealeh Level 5

Ahh - the screen shot would've got you that answer instantly.

On a PC there are many tools and cleaners that can empty 'MRU' (Most Recently Used) entries. Try some of these answers for Mac: http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=clear+mac+mru

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 6. Re: How do I eliminate two white rectangular borders around perimeter of screen.
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Safe Margins are not actually on the video, art. They are guides for placing text on your screen. They won't be on your final video output.

If and when you do add titles, you should turn them back on, by the way. Keep any text you add within the innerr rectangle and that will guarantee that all of your appears on any TV, even if the TV has some "cut-off" around the sides (which all TVs do to some extent).

• 7. Re: How do I eliminate two white rectangular borders around perimeter of screen.
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

Great news!

You mean THOSE two white rectangles.

As Steve and Neale point out, those are just guides that can be used on the Program Monitor, to show the Action-Safe Area (outer rectangle) and Title-Safe Area (Inner). In some ways, they are hold-overs from the days of CRT TV's. Back then, TV's did not show the full raster of the broadcast signal, and it varied a bit, brand to brand, and model to model. What that meant was that there was more signal being broadcast than most TV's could display. Broadcast monitors were set to display the full raster, but viewers could not see it. Broadcast engineers began using the areas at the edges of the raster for things like timing marks, until the commercial, color calibration bars, etc. The engineers in the TV stations control rooms, could see those elements, out at the outer edges, and use them.

The Action-Safe Area was determined from the average of the overscan of those TV's, so when framing action, one made sure to NOT place important elements beyond that average, or many viewers could not see it. Same for the Title-Safe Area - editors wanted to make 100% sure that no Title Text would ever extend beyond the edges of the TV's.

Nowadays, overscan is much, much less, with many newer HD TV's showing full raster, or almost so. While the Action & Title-Safe areas are not as important, as they once were, they are still good guides to follow. Also, though far fewer, there ARE still CRT TV's out there in "client land." There are also newer sets, that still have some degree of overscan. I keep, and use the Action & Title-Safe area markings on, and if I go beyond them (especially with Titles), only go very, very slightly beyond, to guarantee that if Aunt Marge is still viewing on a CRT TV, she will see what I want her to see.

Unlike a full professional broadcast monitor, PrE does not show 100% of the full raster, but close. Trying to recall the numbers, but will go with ~ 99%. Same for PrPro - very close, but < than 100%. Now, in PrPro, one can alter the Action & Title Safe Area guides, as is needed, and many, doing HD Projects, have reduced both of those Area guides a bit.

I just leave them, as set, because they are but guides, and if I come close to them, I feel that I will be fine.

Good luck, and happy editing.

Hunt

PS - being new to PrE, here is an ARTICLE with some good learning resources.

PPS - for screen-caps, this ARTICLE goes into more detail (should have posted that one, early on - my bad)