29 Replies Latest reply on Jun 16, 2016 4:33 PM by jasonscottreid@yahoo.com

SaveAs cannot save

red_aussie

Hi Eveyone. I have an issue that would like some imput. On a mac with Indi 5.5 the following happens. After I re-open a file created previously in indesign on the same computer and at times just a few minutes earlier and made changes, I go to save using the shortcut, and instead the SaveAs comes up directing to the same folder and file. I press Ok and the following error message shows: " Save As. Cannot save the document. It may be opened by other applications. Close applications and try again. You may also use saveas to save it into a new document. OK". Well, the workaround is to save it on the desktop and again do save as to the original location. At times only the email and acrobat are running on background. Two points I found out: 1. I open files directly from network and save back directly to network; 2. When an indesign file is opened, another file in the same folder is created with the extension *.idlk, indesign lock file used for recovery: this file is not created when the above error is displayed. Does anyone has had this issue? Macintosh has the latest patches, as well the creative suite 5.5, the one factor is that is a subscription version. Much appreciated an input. Thanks.

• 1. Re: SaveAs cannot save
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

the .idlk file is a lock file and is ther to prevent multiple users from opeing the file simultaneously. It has nothing to do with recovery. It should be created when the file is opened, or when first saved if a new file, in the same directory as the file.

That said, there are similar issues reported when the file was an attachement opened from Mail, which seems not to be the case, though you might try cloing Mail to see if it has any effect. It sounds like some sort of network issue, frankly.

• 2. Re: SaveAs cannot save
            markinboone

I am having the same issue on Windows 7 after upgrading to CS5.5 on two different computers and with both InDesign and Acrobat (trying to create an embedded index and getting the message that the index cannot be written because the file cannot be saved to the disk). This has nothing to do with networks or temporary files opened from email messages. There are no other users with access to the file or even the computers.  Upgrading to 5.5 is proving to be much more of a headache than it's worth. (I won't list all the other frustrations unrelated to this issue here!) But since I can't save my 5.5 files back to open in CS3 I'm just screwed ... again!

• 3. Re: SaveAs cannot save

Mark,

Have you tried opening as a copy, using a different user account, or trying to save in a different location? This sounds a lot like some sort of permissions issue which might be bypassed by one or more of those steps. If one of the actually does work, it's time to figure out why you can't save normally.

• 4. Re: SaveAs cannot save
                ralfellis Level 1

Same sort of issue.

In Design 5.5   -  Apple iMac running Lion,  and a laptop running previous system (OSX 7.0).

If I take files from the the iMac, they work perfectly on the laptop, but will not save.  If I try to close the file, it says do you wish to save, I say yes, and it says unable to save this file.

All a bit of a problem, as I am on holiday, and want to use these files on the laptop.

• 5. Re: SaveAs cannot save
                  John Hawkinson Level 5

In Design 5.5   -  Apple iMac running Lion,  and a laptop running previous system (OSX 7.0).

What? The current version of Lion is 10.7.3, and the prior version was 10.7.2, which by some accounts is more reliable. The previous major version is Snow Leopard, the current version of which is 10.6.8.

What do you mean by "OSX 7.0"? Do you mean Lion 10.7.0? I think you would be well-advised to upgrade anything running 10.7.0 to 10.7.2, and that it is not surprising that apps would break under 10.7.0.

But please be very clear about the versions. Thanks!

• 6. Re: SaveAs cannot save
                    ralfellis Level 1

>>>What? The current version of Lion is 10.7.3, and the prior version was 10.7.2, which by some accounts is more reliable.

Sorry I could not be more precise, the laptop was running an update, and I could not find out what version it was.

I was running Lion 10.7.3 on the iMac, and the previous 'cat' on the laptop.  (leopard, tiger, siamese who knows - but the latest before Lion).

The InDesign CS5.5 files from Lion would not 'save' on the laptop with the older OSX system.  So I have had to install Lion on the laptop, and now the InDesign files will save.

But I did not want to do this because Lion will not run Appleworks, and I have 1,000 hieroglyphs stored under Appleworks.  So now, because of a combination of Apple and Adobe incompetence, I am going to have to reinstall the old OSX operating system on the laptop when I get home from holidays, so I can use my hieroglyphs !!   Do these guys know how much time they waste, with all their unecessary incompatabilities?

• 7. Re: SaveAs cannot save
                      John Hawkinson Level 5

The behavior as you have described it sounds completely unexpected and somewhat unlikely. Is it possible you have msinterpretted?

You are saying that your laptop running 10.6 could not read InDesign CS5.5. files written on a machine running 10.7.3. Then you upgraded the laptop from 10.6 to 10.7 and it was then able to read the files?

That's really shocking, and outside of our experience.

Did you do a clean install of the operating system, or did you do an upgrade?

Did you reinstall InDesign after you did so?

Is it possible that you had CS5.0 installed before and then later upgraded to CS5.5.?

Or you had both installed and thought you were running CS5.5 but were really running CS5?

In any case, however:

I was running Lion 10.7.3 on the iMac, and the previous 'cat' on the laptop.  (leopard, tiger, siamese who knows - but the latest before Lion).

This degree of vagueness essentially makes it impossible to help you with any certainty.

We need firm specifics on versions, because they matter.

I think, at this point, you should not expect any resolution.

Sorry.

• 8. Re: SaveAs cannot save
                        ralfellis Level 1

>>You are saying that your laptop running 10.6 could not read InDesign CS5.5. files written on a machine running 10.7.3.

No.  It could read them, and they looked fine, and I could change them, but I could not save them.  I tried 'open a copy' and rewriting to a different folder, as suggested here, but still could not save the files.  (The 'save' caption remained greyed out.  It was not a valid button.)

The Lion files were written on a new iMac with a completely new system.  This was then upgraded to the latest Lion version, and the latest CS5.5 version.

The files were loaded on to the iMac as ID 5.0 files, and then upgraded to ID 5.5.  There were no issues with the updrade of the files, apart from a missing font and the user dictionary not copying across.

CS 5.5 was then added to the laptop, running 10.6.8 (?), and I went on holiday.  I had tested the files would open on the laptop before I left, but did not think of testing whether they would save.  But they simply refused to save.

I have now updated the laptop to Lion, and everything is ok  -  but I have lost the use of Appleworks, which is a pain.

• 9. Re: SaveAs cannot save
                          red_aussie Level 1

Sorry guys. I have posted the original question and kept an eye on the issue at work. The issue doesn't happen on a pc and is related only to a mac installation. Two things I noticed: 1. the files are opened 'read-only' and don't have the lock-file; 2. sometimes just doing the 'save-as' on the same file does replace the original file; other times have to save-as on the desktop and then save-as to orignal folder. Two ideas: 1. files are always on the network hard-drive so network flow may be involved but doesn't explain why happens to some file and not others; I am the only one accessing them and created by the same software on the same computer; 2. The Indesign version is always the same one that had created the file, at times just hours earlier or a day. Finally, two questions: 1. Is the problem with the network that doesn't have stable connections; 2. Indesign 5.5 has a flow issue on some networks (or network cards) that loses micro-connnections when getting files from the server. Well Adobe can you give some hints??!!!

I believe the issue that I presented is not related to what type of OS is used or other softwares are open (eg antivirus).

PS. Mark, Indesign has always saved to a previous version only by exporting to indx. 5, 5.5 doesn't save below 4. And Ralfellis, you may have a demo version installed if you cannot save the file; Adobe provides a clean tool to fix some of this issue you have.

• 10. Re: SaveAs cannot save
                            John Hawkinson Level 5

red_aussie wrote:

2. Indesign 5.5 has a flow issue on some networks (or network cards) that loses micro-connnections when getting files from the server. Well Adobe can you give some hints??!!!

I'm afraid your terms don't make much sense. What is a "flow" issue or "network flow"? Those are not standard terms and they don't really have meaning. Do you mean "flow control"? I don't think that comports with your symptoms, and "flow control" is not terribly relevant to modern-day protocols, except perhaps for TCP congestion control and window sizes, and those are extremely unlikely to related to this sort of thing.

Similarly, what do you mean by "micro-connections" and the loss thereof? Again, these are nonstandard terms. It's kind of like you said the frobnitz might be stuck in the huffnagelyzzy. Really hard to say.

Just a reminder, pretty much no one here is from Adobe, we're all just volunteers.

With respect to your postscripts:

PS. Mark, Indesign has always saved to a previous version only by exporting to indx. 5, 5.5 doesn't save below 4.

CS5.5 and CS5 export to IDML, which can be read by CS4. CS4 can export to IDML as well as to INX; INX can be read by CS3. I suspect you meant to say INX when you said INDX, but IDML is really the relevant format in today's environments.

And Ralfellis, you may have a demo version installed if you cannot save the file; Adobe provides a clean tool to fix some of this issue you have.

The trial installations have no restrictions on saving files. They are exactly the same, except for the 30-day limit.

(This is not true of InDesign Server, but that's not what we're talking about. Since InDesign Server presents no user interface to the user and is controllable only through scripting, you could not be using it by accident.)

• 11. Re: SaveAs cannot save
                              nicholas.nawroth

I'm having this same error on a Windows 7 64-bit machine with Indesign CS 5.5. All of our InDesign files are saved to one drive and there are 2 of us in the office who use the files on different workstations (both Windows 7 64-bit). The Indesign files that only I open and work with are fine, no issues. However, when I try to open files that have been opened at some point by my co-worker, they open as Read-Only. When I go to save that file, I get the dialog " Cannon save document. It may be opened by other applications. Close applications and try again. You may also use saveas to save it into a new document."

My co-worker has closed the file so the only person trying to access it is me. This happens even when my co-worker has logged off for the day. The drive we share from is local to my workstation (I share it with her workstation) and I full permissions to all the files on that drive.

My current solution is to save as, then go out and delete the original file, then reamed the saveas file. I can delete the problem InDesign file without any issues, so it clearly is not open in any other applications otherwise Windows wouldn't let me delete it.

• 12. Re: SaveAs cannot save
                                markinboone Level 1

"My current solution is to save as, then go out and delete the original file, then reamed the saveas file. I can delete the problem InDesign file without any issues, so it clearly is not open in any other applications otherwise Windows wouldn't let me delete it."

That is the workaround, so this isn't a file-loss issue, but it is aggravating to have to work around it. I have seen this on multiple computers, as I said above, and recently saw it with Acrobat X Pro on one of my classroom computers (Win 7). SOMETHING is not letting go of files in cases where they clearly do not need to be protected. It may have something to do with time-out triggers since waiting and trying again sometimes works. It would be nice if Adobe looked into this. I realize it's not straightforward to recreate the issue, but it is recurring in real-world use.

• 13. Re: SaveAs cannot save
                                  John Hawkinson Level 5

I'm having this same error on a Windows 7 64-bit machine with Indesign CS 5.5. All of our InDesign files are saved to one drive and there are 2 of us in the office who use the files on different workstations (both Windows 7 64-bit). The Indesign files that only I open and work with are fine, no issues....

This happens even when my co-worker has logged off for the day. The drive we share from is local to my workstation (I share it with her workstation) and I full permissions to all the files on that drive.

Is this 7.5.2.318?

I don't have a Windows environment to test in, but I wonder if anyone else with a Windows multi-machine workgroup environment sees this.

• 14. Re: SaveAs cannot save

I'm al alone, so I can't test, either, but this sounds a lot like the permissions problem you get trying to access the files that belong to another user on the same machine.

• 15. Re: SaveAs cannot save
                                      nicholas.nawroth Level 1

Is this 7.5.2.318?

I don't have a Windows environment to test in, but I wonder if anyone else with a Windows multi-machine workgroup environment sees this.

According to my machine I'm using Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1 installed. It's not being more specific than that.

I can reproduce the issue fairly consistently with a few files that both of us work on.

I'm thinking it's an Adobe bug with the new Windows Preview...Acrobat won't save over certain files that are "open" in preview.

I have full ownership of all files on the drive that contains those files, so it's definitely not a permissions issue. Unless there's a bug with it and Window 7....

• 16. Re: SaveAs cannot save
                                        John Hawkinson Level 5

According to my machine I'm using Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1 installed. It's not being more specific than that.

I was asking about the InDesign version. Hold down Control and select About InDesign.

Peter wrote:

I'm all alone, so I can't test, either, but this sounds a lot like the permissions problem you get trying to access the files that belong to another user on the same machine.

I'm not sure why I thought you had a laptop and a desktop both running Windows with InDesign? Maybe not running 7.

Nicholas:

I'm thinking it's an Adobe bug with the new Windows Preview...Acrobat won't save over certain files that are "open" in preview.

Wait, are the files open in the Windows preview mechanism? I think that's likely to be more of a Microsoft issue and less an Adobe issue, but is that the source of the problem? I didn't get that from your prior narrative.

• 17. Re: SaveAs cannot save

John Hawkinson wrote:

Peter wrote:

I'm all alone, so I can't test, either, but this sounds a lot like the permissions problem you get trying to access the files that belong to another user on the same machine.

I'm not sure why I thought you had a laptop and a desktop both running Windows with InDesign? Maybe not running 7.

I do have both a destop and a laptop running Win7 and multiple versions of ID, but I don't store files in a shared location and try to work on them as two different users.

• 18. Re: SaveAs cannot save
                                            nicholas.nawroth Level 1

Wait, are the files open in the Windows preview mechanism? I think that's likely to be more of a Microsoft issue and less an Adobe issue, but is that the source of the problem? I didn't get that from your prior narrative.

The Windows preview error is only for PDFs/Acrobat...it does not factor into my InDesign issue.

I was asking about the InDesign version

InDesign version is 7.5.2 for me.

I'm al alone, so I can't test, either, but this sounds a lot like the permissions problem you get trying to access the files that belong to another user on the same machine.

I did check my permissions again...I do have full control over that entire folder, but for that one file, my name is not listed at all. This is odd, because the file was created after we set the permissions to full ownership when we set up my workstation. I'm wondering now if it might be a Windows 7 permissions bug? Anyway, I added my name to the list of folks who coudl access the file under Properties>Security and that did the trick for me, thanks!

• 19. Re: SaveAs cannot save
                                              markinboone Level 1

This is happening to both InDesign and Acrobat files. I am working on a publication in IDCS5.5, Export it to PDF, go to PDF Properties to set opening preferences, try to save the PDF and half the time get an error that "file cannot be saved because it may be in use". I close the PDF, go back to ID and try to Save the document, and it's [Read-only] so I have to Save As. No other applications are having these permissions errors. I am the only user with an account on my machine. I am working on files that are on the local harddrive, not a network. This continues to frustrate me to no end.

• 20. Re: SaveAs cannot save
                                                Manish-Sharma Employee Moderator

Go to Windows-->Utilities-->Background task in INdesign , When yiu export the file in PDF the progess is shown here , after it gets complete , then open your PDF

• 21. Re: SaveAs cannot save

markinboone,

We can't currently branch a thread, so I'm going to ask you to repost in a new topic. Your problem does not sound the same at all.

• 22. Re: SaveAs cannot save
                                                    colshnitzel

I had the same issue while working on a presentation for my company. I was working on the server and there must have been some file corruption of some kind when i saved it last or when i opened it. I made some edits to my current project and went to save it, only to be greeted by the error message saying the files are open or in use by other applications blah blah blah. I never knew what actually caused that to happen, but the easy way to deal with it seems to be:

save it to your desktop or by another filename.

delete the corrupted/current version.

rename new file.

you won't lose anything except for time (1-5 minutes tops).

worked for me.

NOTE: how the heck did OS discussions start popping up in this normal issue. I got bored once I saw that and skipped ahead.

• 23. Re: SaveAs cannot save
                                                      Grunsie

Same problem here. Once in a while the 'cannot save  - file may be in use' message appears.

Imac 10.8.4 connected in a network ethernet to mac mini server. One user.

Restarted all, tried disk warrior because of permission settings.

After the message 'cannot save' Indesign will crash, and only restarting the iMac will make it possible te relaunch Indesign 8.01

tried rebuilding prefs, tried system install... no luck at all.

anyone?

• 24. Re: SaveAs cannot save
                                                        Grunsie Level 1

'cannot save  - file may be in use'

Imac is very standard, apart from:

- wacom Intuos 2 tablet driver

- FontExplorer X pro 4

- Xerox Color 550 print drivers

May be someone recognises configuration similarity?

• 25. Re: SaveAs cannot save
                                                          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Remove the drivers for the Wacom and or the auto activation plugins for Font

Explorer and see if that fixes it.

• 26. Re: SaveAs cannot save
                                                            Grunsie Level 1

Thnx for reaction.

To exclude I started working with Macbook pro - new/ with only CS6 installed.

No extra's, just that.

After about an hour same happened, (cannot save...)

So I figured out that the problem occurs at the mac mini server.

I think it has something to do with the temp .idlk files....

Something with rights/permissions....

• 27. Re: SaveAs cannot save
                                                              Joy_Halstead Level 1

I, too, am experiencing this problem on a regular basis. It started when using CS5 and has continued now that we've moved to the Cloud. I'm running OS 10.7.5 on a MacBook. We have a local Mac Mini server with precisely three users attached to it and only two of those actively opening and manipulating files.

Same old story. Randomly, I try to save InDesign files that have previously given me no trouble at all and receive the error message - cannot save the current version...file may be open by other applications...save as different version and so on so forth. I try to save the file as a different version, but that doesn't always work. More often than not, InDesign either hangs up indefinitely or crashes on its own. Whether I force quit or it quits on it's own, I

have to restart the MacBook before InDesign will function again.

Most of the time, thankfully, InDesign can recover the doomed file on successful restart.

Perhaps this is a Mac Mini issue. We've been through a couple of different servers over the years, and the Mini came into use not too long ago. Any new insights on the matter are much appreciated.

• 28. Re: SaveAs cannot save
                                                                Joy_Halstead Level 1

Our IT guy is testing out a theory for this. We use Carbonite for global backups and it works throughout the day. He's suspending backups until the end of the work day to see if that curbs the number of crashes...hopefully, that backup software is the "other application" utilizing the file.

• 29. Re: SaveAs cannot save
                                                                  jasonscottreid@yahoo.com

Same older than old story. I am running OS 10.6.8 on an iMac i3 and our company server is PC based. I am working along in the files, not even trying to save, and suddenly the message pops up, "Cannot save the document. It may be opened by other applications..." separating me from the file. If i do save InDesign it gets hung up and the attempted file saved to the desktop gets corrupt. I then have to redo my preferences and go to IT to remove the lock file because i can't myself. Funny thing is that i am the only one in our entire group that has any issue with it. I thought it was Illustrator or Photoshop that was the culprit but not so after having it happen when they were closed. This is just priceless when it happens during a deadline. Ugh.