14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 10, 2012 8:17 PM by tr4der88888

Upload to YouTube feature/recording duration limit

Tacoma78 Level 1

I am using Adobe Premiere Elements v. 8.

My goal is to create a video that is optimized for YouTube viewing, and ultimately to post it to YouTube.

I know that the maximum length that YouTube will accept from most users is 15 minutes. So, I edited my file (WMV) to a length of 14:15:02, as shown by the counter in the Sceneline.

I noticed that the Share tab offers the choice Online > Upload video to YouTube. Premiere Elements Help states that this will result in the file being optimized for YouTube. That sounds good.

But when I try to use this option with this 14 minute, 15 second recording, I get an error message stating that "The video duration exceeds the maximum supported by the destination. Please reduce the duration of the video and try again."

Am I getting this because I am using an old version of Premiere Elements (version 8) and this software is set to enforce YouTube's previous limit of 10 minutes? In other words, if I upgrade, will this problem be solved?

Just curious, what is the "optimized for YouTube" output that this feature creates? Could I just choose the output type and any other settings, and get the same result? How would I do this?

To tell the truth, I'm not crazy about the idea of uploading to Youtube via the Premiere Elements program. I'd prefer to first craete the video and then later upload to YouTube myself. I was just going to use thePremiere Elements feature "upload to YouTube" feature because I want a recording that is optimized for YouTube.

• 1. Re: Upload to YouTube feature/recording duration limit
          the_wine_snob Level 9

The Duration limit of YouTube was 10 mins., until fairly recently. Now, there are enhanced subscriptions, that allow for longer Videos, but not back when PrE 8 was written. I do not believe that even PrE 10 accounts for the enhanced subscriptions.

The way around that is to not load from PrE to YouTube, unless one has a Timeline that is 10 mins., or less, but to Export/Share, using one of the YouTube Presets, and then manually upload via the YouTube account.

As far as the setting for YouTube, you might want to see this FAQ Entry.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Upload to YouTube feature/recording duration limit
            Tacoma78 Level 1

Hi Bill,

I clicked on the FAQ link that you provided, and followed John Cloudman’s instructions for saving as a Quicktime/MOV. The result was much better than what I got saving as a WMV. Just a couple questions, if you don’t mind.

Near the top of John’s instructions is the statement “Choose the DV preset and then click the Advanced button.”

However, the only choices I see in the drop-down “Presets” list are “128K Dual ISDN” and “Local Area Network (LAN)”.

So – what is meant by “Choose the DV pre-set”?

Also – for Audio > Frequency John specifies 44Khz, but the only choices given in the program are 8K, 16K, 32K and 48K.

In my test, I chose “128K Dual ISDN” as the pre-set and Audio > Frequency of 48K. As I mentioned, the result was a lot better than when saving as a WMV.

However, the audio is still a bit choppy – there are some tiny gaps in the sound.

What settings would I tweak to try to get the audio up to par?

• 3. Re: Upload to YouTube feature/recording duration limit
              nealeh Level 5

Choice of Preset is the first box in the QuickTime share dialog. Selecting that also gives you the standard audio preset. After choosing the preset the 'advanced' button will get you into the Advanced options where you can change the audio.

1.png

2.png

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

• 4. Re: Upload to YouTube feature/recording duration limit
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you got better results!

I believe that Neale has covered the other questions, and better than I could have.

Also remember, YouTube is a moving target. They make changes in how they reencode the material, so what is great today, might not be the ultimate 3 mos. from now.

BTW - I did not recall that Audio Sample-Rate of 44.1KHz (CD spec.), but woudl always use 48KHz (DVD spec.). Maybe our tireless MOD, Steve Gresetti, will edit that FAQ Entry?

Good luck and happy editing,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Upload to YouTube feature/recording duration limit
                  Tacoma78 Level 1

Hi Neal

Re. the first link that you provided – it shows these pre-sets, available when creating a QuickTime movie:

NTSC DV

NTSC DV 16:9

PAL DV

PAL DV 16:9

However, when I choose QuickTime as the format, I am only given two pre-set options:

128L Dual ISDN

Local Area Network (LAN)

Any idea why? Is it because I am using a PC and not a Mac? Or that I’m using an older Premiere Elements version (8)?

Could this be causing the audio problem I describe?

Thanks,

Ted

• 6. Re: Upload to YouTube feature/recording duration limit
                    nealeh Level 5

I can only think that it is because you are on PRE8. In the FAQ entry there is also a different set of recommendations from Felix G. Give those a try instead.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 7. Re: Upload to YouTube feature/recording duration limit
                      Tacoma78 Level 1

OK, thanks.

And, as long as we’re having a dialogue, perhaps you can tell me… would I gain much from upgrading to Adobe Premiere Elements 10, from version 8 which I’m now using?

I’m on a PC with a Pentium dual core CPU E5300 2.60Ghz running Windows Vista Business (32-bit) and 4 GB RAM. I don’t plan to upgrade to 64-bit.

I should add that I do not use Adobe Premiere Elements’ features for organizing and browsing my clips, and don’t plan to – I’m more comfortable saving to directories and folders that I have organized in my own fashion. Therefore, any improvements that version 10 adds to those capabilities are not a reason for upgrading.

However, I’d be interested in upgrading if it added performance (faster rendering) or resulted in higher quality output.

• 8. Re: Upload to YouTube feature/recording duration limit
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Take a look down near the bottom of this THREAD, for some comments on PrE 10, plus a link to Steve Grisetti's review of that version.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Upload to YouTube feature/recording duration limit
                          nealeh Level 5

Depending on what key presets you are looking for you may find PRE7 (i.e. the previous version) the best way to get a performance improvement.

I skipped PRE8 and went to PRE9. But for me, especially timeline redrawing, PRE9 was cumbersome and I kept PRE7 installed. Only since moving to PRE10 with its 64-bit processing have I removed PRE7.

Note though that if you did, you would still need to use the FAQ suggestions for YouTube as the duration limits would still exist.

Cheers,

--

Neale

• 11. Re: Upload to YouTube feature/recording duration limit
                            tr4der88888 Level 1

I use PE10 and I have a You Tbve account allowing video clips of over 15 minutes

Can I set up PE10 so it will upload longer videos?

If so how

Thanks

• 12. Re: Upload to YouTube feature/recording duration limit
                              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you not read the thread, tr4dr? The answer is in Bill's first reply.

• 13. Re: Upload to YouTube feature/recording duration limit
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

For direct upload - no. However, that is not a problem, as you can just Share to the correct YouTube Preset, and then log-in with your account, and manually upload that file.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Hunt

• 14. Re: Upload to YouTube feature/recording duration limit
                                  tr4der88888 Level 1

Thanks Hunt, I understand the principal but the only place I can find the "high definition for You Tube 1920 x 1080" preset is by going through the upload to You Tube process and it stops me doing that because it is over 15 minutes.

I searched You Tube and they use the flash format so I guess I save files in the format F4V HD 1080p

no need to reply if that is correct - thanks again

JOHN