3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2012 9:58 AM by BobLevine

Landscape, left/right facing pages exports as landscape up/down facing pages

Malex25

Hello. I am new to InDesign (CS5) and ePUB and have an export/layout issue on a client's ebook.

The book is very graphics & design heavy, so I made jpgs and placed them in to facing pages of equal size to the original document. Since it is essentially a fixed layout ebook and in landscape format when it is exported it shows one page per landscape on eReaders then two (one up, one down) in portrait view. Is there a way to make it left right facing if the screen is wide enough in landscape and only one in portrait.

I do not own an actual eReader but have downloaded calibre and Adobe Digital Editions to view it. In both programs the facing pages show on the same portrait window but one is atop the other and it wont go right to left when resized.

Is this normal? I've tried changing the layout settings, document settings, master pages. I even updates to CS5.5 b/c I read somewhere that it had an update to page resizing in export but it didn't change anything...any suggestions?

Screen shot 2012-02-04 at 8.51.19 PM.png

^This

turns into

Screen shot 2012-02-04 at 8.40.28 PM.png

Screen shot 2012-02-04 at 8.40.53 PM.png

Marjorie

• 1. Re: Landscape, left/right facing pages exports as landscape up/down facing pages
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

I’m sorry to tell you this but that’s no way to create an epub…not even close. Additionally, for the most part EPUB is not a good choice for design heavy documents and you will need a pretty decent understanding of HTML and CSS in order to work with epub.

The very fact that you’re new to both InDesign and Epub means you have quite a learning curve ahead of you.

Here are some of my top recommendations.

1.       Upgrade to CS5.5 which is far superior for epub

2.       Buy Sandee Cohen’s Visual Quick Start Guide. Best InDesign beginner book in the world: http://amzn.to/w6nGUe

3.       Liz Castro has two terrific books on epub: http://amzn.to/yNBoXU and http://amzn.to/xnWEoD

4.       Check out the InDesign and InDesign to epub videos on Lynda.com especially those by Anne Marie Concepcion. This link will get you a one week free trial: http://bit.ly/fcGpiI

5.       There’s a new service that claims to be able to create fixed layout epubs. I can’t recommend it since I don’t know enough about it but you can check it out here: http://bit.ly/zevzgi

Hope that helps,

Bob

• 2. Re: Landscape, left/right facing pages exports as landscape up/down facing pages
            Malex25 Level 1

Hey Bob, thanks for the advice. I am new to InDesign but I am not new to

HTML nor CSS.

[My situation is a classic example of "start how you want to finish"...and

they did NOT...but they didn't know any better. The client's "designer"

should have created it from scratch in InDesign in conjunction with

Illustrator for the images but instead made the entire doc in Illustrator,

and each page consisted of dozens sometimes almost 100 visual elements

(individual joints of figures, eyes of people, wheels on cars...its

actually quite ridiculous and none were merged/converted to single images).

So her skill level and knowledge of the entire Adobe Suite is also lacking

and the creators of the book just wanted it to look good and still probably

don't even know what InDesign is. "The images disappear when I convert to

PDF. Can you fix that?" I already knew what was wrong but they weren't

willing to pay for several days of work merging every illustration and

moving all the images & text over individually like they should have. He

wanted a quick (and cheap) fix for a much bigger problem that I don't know

if he even understood he had. And I've learned over the years that in these

cases just give them what they want and try to educate them so that they do

it right next time or pay someone to actually FIX the doc.]

All that said, I will be creating a few text heavy books (maybe a few

screen shots) this year for myself and couple friends and

will definitely educate myself first and start on the right foot. So thanks

Bob.

HELPFUL: for anyone else in a similarly twisted situation I did have to

start a new doc, same page size & layout and choose PRINT instead of WEB in

the document settings. This cannot be changed once doc is created so I only

found this through lots of testing.

• 3. Re: Landscape, left/right facing pages exports as landscape up/down facing pages
              BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Print or web set up only gives you different default choices. Other than that it’s meaningless.

Bob