19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2012 10:57 AM by lilia@

printing text boxes

cmth

is there any reason why a text frame converted to a polygon shape with a stroke weight of 1 with some text added to it and showing up perfectly on screen, in preview and as .pdf. etc. and printing perfectly from my computer, should not print perfectly from the same file on another computer?

• 1. Re: printing text boxes
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

There must be, no?

How about some details...

• 2. Re: printing text boxes
            cmth Level 1

sorry - I forgot to say the root of the problem was that only the text printed from the other computer, not the polygon shaped text box with white fill and black stroke.   So all that appeared on the other print was the actual text floating by itself .

• 3. Re: printing text boxes

More details. OS and application being uysed onthe other machine and on yours? hav eyou checked the print settings to see if there's anything there like "don't print background graphics?"

• 4. Re: printing text boxes
                cmth Level 1

no I haven't, I'll try that tomorrow.   Thank you.   Something was mentioned about  what I think was termed 'object pathways' which seemed to be able to turn the stroked box on and off.   But I had never used such a facility myself.

• 5. Re: printing text boxes
                  cmth Level 1

actually, thinking more about what you say regarding for instance 'don't print background graphics' , this would seem to indicate that if everything looked fine on my screen and printed out perfectly from my machine, even though it also looked fine on the other computer's screen, they must have had some instruction turned off relating to this stroked text box?   If that is likely, then we just have to work out what it is that is 'turned off' when it comes to printing from their machine.   Does that sound sense?

• 6. Re: printing text boxes

That would be my conclusion. Are you both printing from the same application?

• 7. Re: printing text boxes
                      cmth Level 1

yes, I set up the document in InDesign CS4, did all the pre-flight checks etc. so no errors were thrown up there, packaged it all up and put it on a disc for the other operator.  I think he may have CS5 (if that is the next one up), so would that make any difference?   I actually saw it looking fine on his screen but it just didn't print out correctly.  

• 8. Re: printing text boxes

I's a printer problem of some sort, then.

• 9. Re: printing text boxes

Does the PDF print correctly?

• 10. Re: printing text boxes
                            cmth Level 1

it prints perfectly on my machine

• 11. Re: printing text boxes

I meant for your friend...

Do you happen to know what printer?

• 12. Re: printing text boxes
                                cmth Level 1

no I don't, I'm afraid - I'd have to find out.  But it was he that mentioned something about 'object pathways' (?) - I might not have remembered that right as I had never come across it before.   His theory was that it was some kind of alternative route to saving a text box with print in it to make sure both elements printed out and he showed me how the box could be 'turned off' but the text still stand there alone.   I can't work out how to do that now - possibly because I don't have that facility with CS4, but I couldn't understand why it should print for me and not for him if I'm not changing anything my end.   It's all very frustrating - but I am very grateful for your help.

• 13. Re: printing text boxes

I'd have to see the exact message, and know the context, before I could even guess. If the text is in a stroked frame, of any shape, I honestly don't know a way to not print the stroke with the text other than to remove it from the frame.

• 14. Re: printing text boxes
                                    cmth Level 1

thank you so much for your patience.   I think that answers the question actually, in that from what he was telling me and showing me it had somehow to have been removed from his end.   I'll go backover there  tomorrow and go through it all again.    I'm very grateful to you  - if there's any Sunday left wherever you are - enjoy it.

• 15. Re: printing text boxes
                                      lilia@ Level 2

cmth wrote:

no I don't, I'm afraid - I'd have to find out.  But it was he that mentioned something about 'object pathways' (?) - I might not have remembered that right as I had never come across it before.   His theory was that it was some kind of alternative route to saving a text box with print in it to make sure both elements printed out and he showed me how the box could be 'turned off' but the text still stand there alone.   I can't work out how to do that now - possibly because I don't have that facility with CS4, but I couldn't understand why it should print for me and not for him if I'm not changing anything my end.   It's all very frustrating - but I am very grateful for your help.

If I may have a stab at this....

Object pathways... and its description... sounds like he was talking about object styles... meaning that if YOUR preference for [Basic Text Frame] is set to 1pt and HIS is set to 0pt... then when he opens your file, his preference will override yours... or so I believe... until I stand corrected.

Tadarrr

Message was edited by: lilia@

Thought I would add this... when I do my preferences for ID I ALWAYS make my own default styles.

eg lils default paragraph style, lils default graphics frame (where I adjust transparency also) lils default text frame.

This avoids those types of issues... where anothers preference will never override mine... very good for a production environment.

• 16. Re: printing text boxes
                                        cmth Level 1

Thank you very much Lilia.  That's very interesting.   I'm making a note of all this and will do that for security and ease of operation in future.   I really don't want to go through all this again.   I'm very grateful for your contribution.   From what Peter said and now what you are saying I think it does come down to one setting overriding another, so I'll make double sure in future.

• 17. Re: printing text boxes

Unfortunately, that's not it. Styles are file-specific, so problems with same-name styles don't show up until you move content from one file to another or put multiple files in a Book and synchronize.

• 18. Re: printing text boxes
                                            cmth Level 1

nonetheless, I think I'm getting the picture that everything needs double-checking when moving from one set up to another (no assumptions can be made) and that's what didn't happen at first here.   So if we always do that in future before anything goes to final print then it has to come out the same.  Thank you so much for all your time.

• 19. Re: printing text boxes
                                              lilia@ Level 2

Peter Spier wrote:

Unfortunately, that's not it. Styles are file-specific, so problems with same-name styles don't show up until you move content from one file to another or put multiple files in a Book and synchronize.

I wasn't saying this is the answer... just that this is the translation for what he was telling you.

Oops I did forget to mention that it is when you copy/paste from one doc to a new one... thanks Peter ... considering we have limited information.