3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2012 10:56 AM by Todd_Kopriva

Virtual Studio Question

q03958-0

Hi,

I would like to film a university debating group of 3-5 people including the host. I was thinking of arranging an oval table with the debaters around the host on one side and then a static camera for each member of the panel on the opposite side of the table. We don't have much room or cash so I was thinking about a virtual backdrop to appear as if we were in a studio.

I was thinking about the following video wall backgrounds

http://www.cg4tv.com/video-background-c4.html and this

http://www.cg4tv.com/virtual-set/green-screen-backgrounds/studio-background.html

I would divide one green screen up into 3 parts with four autopoles, so that as the table curved the green screen would remain flat behind each debate member. The problem with this is if I want to have a shot with all the debaters together I don't know how to achieve it?

The question is: I film in 24p but I would have to buy the video in either 25 of 30p. Would it be possible to buy the 30p footage and then export the video in 24p? This would allow me to use the 30p footage later if required.

I use 5200K lights from interfit

Is there anywhere else I could get similar background footage?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Virtual Studio Question
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

I would divide one green screen up into 3 parts with four autopoles, so that as the table curved the green screen would remain flat behind each debate member. The problem with this is if I want to have a shot with all the debaters together I don't know how to achieve it?

Erm, 3D layers?!

The question is: I film in 24p but I would have to buy the video in either 25 of 30p. Would it be possible to buy the 30p footage and then export the video in 24p? This would allow me to use the 30p footage later if required.

Sure. You could simply reinterpret the framerate or genuinely convert it either with or without pulldown by timestretching. Reinterpreting 24fps as 25fps is easier and almost unnoticeable and it's done for movies on TV a lot...

In any case, you need to read the AE help. Both points can easily be clarified this way. As for footage sources I'm not aware of any alternatives that would show a command room, but it would be easy enough to build something like that in AE as well.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Virtual Studio Question
            q03958-0 Level 1

I'm not sure how 3D layers fits into this context?

• 3. Re: Virtual Studio Question
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> I'm not sure how 3D layers fits into this context?

I think that Mylenium is suggesting that you build a simple 3D virtual set using the footage elements that you have.