9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2012 11:22 AM by Islanders66

Export via AME from timeline locks PC up after 15-20 minutes - Desperate!

Peter-Rush

OK I've a new custom built  i7 system (spec specifically for CS5.5 - i7/16GB RAM/CUDA graphics etc) and the first time I'm exporting a lengthy project (about 70mins) from the timeline my PC locks up with a blank screen - usually a garish colour) after about 15-20 minutes in!

I'm editing PAL HDV but exporting PAL SD MPEG2 if that helps - I've rebuilt my cache and conformed files

The clips on the timeline have no effects applied either. I've also turned power saving/screen saver off as well (this caused me problems with an older Matrox setup).

Also the timeline plays from beginning to end flawlessly - and if i put 2 longish (30 minute) clips on there - no problem, they export fine

This is the first time I've used HDV - I've done several long SD project without error

Please help?

• 2. Re: Export via AME from timeline locks PC up after 15-20 minutes - Desperate!
          bertrenolds Level 1

What are the actual properties of the video you are trying to edit and what type of file is it? Are you exporting to a file you wan't to put on the internet or dvd or blue ray? I am guessing you have the wrong export setting since you say you want a HDV file but you are trying to export to mpeg2 which really doesn't make sense to me. You should be able to export to blu-ray in the options or to h.264 if you are putting it on the internet, don't use mpeg2 since it's a dvd video compression and you are using HDV source video probably. H.264 is used for everything now days!

• 3. Re: Export via AME from timeline locks PC up after 15-20 minutes - Desperate!
            Peter-Rush Level 1

Hi - thanks for replying

my source files are MPEG2 HDV 1080i (direct from sony Z1 Camera) and I want to export a master MPEG2 SD (PAL 720x576) for putting into Adobe Encore and then authoring onto Standard Def DVD

I've never had a problem with long SD projects before so I'm Stumped - I'm now trying dynaminc link with Encore and doing a test transcode of the entire project and so far seems to be ok

Thought it was maybe overheating but monitoring my CPU it seems within tolerable limits

P

• 4. Re: Export via AME from timeline locks PC up after 15-20 minutes - Desperate!
              bertrenolds Level 1

I am thinking you should let encore do the encoding and I guess dynamic would work but you need so much memory for dynamic link to work well and you may have problems when creating things in encore with dynamic link. I am going to say try exporting to blu-ray from premiere because that is what your file is and then import it into encore and from within encore change your export setting to pal 720x576. You could also just create a h.264 file to import to encore and use it to make a dvd, I believe that should also work. Are you putting HDV video on a dvd for people that don't have a blu-ray player I would imagine since there is really no other reason you would wan't to down code so much. You should consider making a blu-ray disk and forcing who ever to find a blu-ray player to play it on since blue ray is about 5x's better then dv.

Just so you know in the past when I was dealing with dv compression out of premiere I always had problems with crases ect. and I always had to encode it to a format other then a dvd mpeg until I got a main concepts plugin so try what I suggested and see if it will encode to blu-ray out of premiere. Also you may have to unselect multiplexing since I've had problems with that as well if it crashes with it selected, hopefully you have cs5 since I imagine they have solved this issue with their encoder by now.

• 5. Re: Export via AME from timeline locks PC up after 15-20 minutes - Desperate!
                Peter-Rush Level 1

Yes my delivery is on SD DVD but an interesting development: Dynamic link was fine and the timeline transcoded without problem so that's a nice workaround.

Also I tried exporting the entire timeline with GPU Accelleration off and that worked as well - taking a couple of hours though rather than the 20 mins or so with GPU on - I've recently updated CS5.5 so maybe I need to upday my NVIDEA drivers - will try thanks

• 6. Re: Export via AME from timeline locks PC up after 15-20 minutes - Desperate!
                  Islanders66 Level 1

I've also used dynamic link for HDV to burn a DVD. I didn't change the settings so it should have been HD. It also played fine on several regular DVD players and flat screet TV. I'm wondering why you make it SD? I think that would add unwated distortion.

• 7. Re: Export via AME from timeline locks PC up after 15-20 minutes - Desperate!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Peter,

Welcome to the forum.

If you are going from HD to SD, then I would look over Jeff Bellune's SD to HD Tutorial. Might be a very useful workflow in there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Export via AME from timeline locks PC up after 15-20 minutes - Desperate!
                      bertrenolds Level 1

Yea, send to encore should work fine with dynamic link but like I said unless you have a ton of memory the more you do to the file in encore the slower it will be. I believe dynamic link was the way a tutorial showed so it must be the best way since there is no re-encoding. Otherwise like I was saying exporting out of premiere as a bluray file with the bitrate all the way up should give you a file with little to no loss and should export to encore just fine without crashing like when you were trying to export to mpeg2.

And I would guess he is making it sd/dvd since someone he want's to give the disk to only has a dvd player, I still think he should make it on blu-ray as well unless he dosn't have a burner but you are right islanders, it really makes no sense losing tons of resolution just so you can play it on dvd.

• 9. Re: Export via AME from timeline locks PC up after 15-20 minutes - Desperate!
                        Islanders66 Level 1

bertrenolds wrote:

And I would guess he is making it sd/dvd since someone he want's to give the disk to only has a dvd player, I still think he should make it on blu-ray as well unless he dosn't have a burner but you are right islanders, it really makes no sense losing tons of resolution just so you can play it on dvd.

The sequence that I exprted: the HDV footage was 1440 x 1080. The sequence was 1280 x 740 (720p30 in sequence presets). Then I simply sent to Encore via Dynamic Link without changing anything. The DVD played fine on two regular DVD players.

I had actually made a mistake not matching the sequence settings to the clip, so I haven't tested the 1440 x 1080 to encoure and if it will pay on a DVD. Or maybe Encore automatically downsizes because you are creating a DVD?

Edit: I tested a 1440 x 1080 and it plays fine on a DVD player. There also wasn't any artifacts that I noticed with the 720p  1280 x 740.