8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2012 5:48 PM by RjL190365

Please recommend best quad i7 & intel mb for PP cs5.5

Steve from NY Level 1

Please recommend best quad i7 & intel mb for PP cs5.5

Looking for best bang for the buck. 6 sata drive connectors, usb3 also.

doing mostly avchd. Utilizing software 2 drive raid0. Win 7 64bit. I usually convert my avchd footage to more editable formats before i edit them.

• 2. Re: Please recommend best quad i7 & intel mb for PP cs5.5
          RjL190365 Level 4

Steve,

I assume that you already have a single non-RAID OS disk in addition to the 2-disk aid0. If that's the case, I'd strongly recommend two additional disks and create a second aid0 array.

If on the other hand the 2-disk aid0 are the only disks that you have (and used for absolutely everything including the OS and programs), then get at least three more disks: One single non-RAID disk for the OS and programs plus two identical disks and create a second aid0 array with that pair.

With either of those configurations, if you are going to transcode AVCHD to a format with an intermediate codec, then you can get away with the "Budget" quad-core i5 system (however, I would change the 192-core GTX 550 Ti to a 336-core non-Ti GTX 560 since the prices for those two right now are closer together than the differences in performance between them). But if you're going to edit AVCHD directly in Premiere Pro CS5.5, you will need at least the "Economical" (i7-2600(K)) system in order to edit smoothly.

Oh, I see that you are actually looking for an i7. In this case, then, unless you are willing to spend at least $1,000 just for the CPU and mobo, the only current choices would be in LGA 1155: the i7-2600, 2600K and 2700K. The non-K CPU is limited-overclockable (meaning that you'll get only 3.9GHz out of that CPU maximum) while the other two can be overclocked further (to 4.4GHz and up with most chips). The i7-3820 isn't on reseller shelves yet, but from what I read it should perform on a par with a slightly overclocked i7-2600K.

For the motherboard, I'd recommend a Z68 board from Asus, MSI or Gigabyte. (Or, if you choose the i7-3820 when it begins shipping to resellers, your only feasible choices would be an X79 / LGA 2011 mobo from Asus or Intel since the X79 boards from Gigabyte suffer from quality issues with the VRMs used on those boards.) Keep in mind, however, that the lower-priced Z68 boards from the three brands are more difficult than pricier Z68 mobos to achieve a high stable overclock because the budget boards often lack manual CPU core voltage adjustments per se (they have only voltage offsets instead). Pricier Z68 mobos have fixed manual CPU voltage settings in addition to offsets.

• 3. Re: Please recommend best quad i7 & intel mb for PP cs5.5
            Steve from NY Level 1

Thanks,

Harms link did not work though.

I have a 10,000 rpm disc for the system. All other files go on the 2 disc raid 0. I do have an addition disc installed for back up. Is there any advantage in speed or throughput in adding any more disc's & splitting up the PP files onto multiple discs?

• 4. Re: Please recommend best quad i7 & intel mb for PP cs5.5
              RjL190365 Level 4

Steve,

There is an advantage to adding an additional 2-disk aid0 array. This second aid0 will be for the Windows pagefile, media cache, previews and exports. Otherwise, with your current setup the exports go on either your OS disk or an external backup disk - neither of which is as fast as the second aid0 pair. If you use the same single 2-disk aid0 pair for the media, projects and exports, this may slow down your system and result in greater wear and tear on the disk(s).

• 6. Re: Please recommend best quad i7 & intel mb for PP cs5.5
                RjL190365 Level 4

The i7-3820 isn't on reseller shelves yet, but from what I read it should perform on a par with a slightly overclocked i7-2600K.

In fact, about on a par with an i7-2600K or 2700K that's been overclocked to 3.8GHz (with the 3820 at stock speed). And at stock speeds, the i7-3820 does consume slightly more power than the i7-2600K. And the i7-3820 is due to arrive in reseller stock some time next week.

Nonetheless, the i7-3820 or any other LGA 2011 CPU is not the best choice as an all-around CPU (the LGA 1155 quad-cores are better choices for multipurpose PCs): Relatively high memory controller latency in quad-channel mode limits the i7-3820's gaming performance to about the same level as the entry-level first-generation i7-920. The memory controller latency performance improves when the i7-3820's memory controller is limited to dual-channel operation instead of quad-channel operation. So, in the end, the i7-3820 should be left to editing/encoding-only PCs.

• 7. Re: Please recommend best quad i7 & intel mb for PP cs5.5
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

RjL190365 wrote:

The i7-3820 isn't on reseller shelves yet, but from what I read it should perform on a par with a slightly overclocked i7-2600K.

In fact, about on a par with an i7-2600K or 2700K that's been overclocked to 3.8GHz (with the 3820 at stock speed). And at stock speeds, the i7-3820 does consume slightly more power than the i7-2600K. And the i7-3820 is due to arrive in reseller stock some time next week.

Nonetheless, the i7-3820 or any other LGA 2011 CPU is not the best choice as an all-around CPU (the LGA 1155 quad-cores are better choices for multipurpose PCs): Relatively high memory controller latency in quad-channel mode limits the i7-3820's gaming performance to about the same level as the entry-level first-generation i7-920. The memory controller latency performance improves when the i7-3820's memory controller is limited to dual-channel operation instead of quad-channel operation. So, in the end, the i7-3820 should be left to editing/encoding-only PCs.

Randall, I agree with you that LGA 2011 with an i7-3820 is not a leap forward.  But I do not understand "So, in the end, the i7-3820 should be left to editing/encoding-only PCs". That just does make any sense to me to designate such a weaking to editing/encoding.  I would only class it as a beginners way to have future expansion and grow into a true editing/encoding machine.