4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2012 10:06 AM by Kirill.Krymov

Help Needed, (Stuck on quotation styles)

Kirill.Krymov

Hi!

It might be a really easy question to answer, never the less:

I have inDesign CS4, and I writing a document, where I have alot of quotes.

All I want is to automaticly select the quotes, and change them to bold font style.

Only think I found that culd work is nested Styles, but I don't have a cluewhat order or what to put.

Can anyone help please?

• 1. Re: Help Needed, (Stuck on quotation styles)
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What you want is a paragraph style for quotes that has the formatting you want. Whether this requires a nested style, a GREP style, or nothing special, depends on what thes paragraphs look like. Are the quotes self-contained paragraphs, or embedded in other text? If embedded, is there only one quote or can there be more? Are quotes always surrounded by quotation marks?

We need complete details about waht the text looks like before we can offer good advice. A screen capture showing the desired result would be a big help. You can use the camera icon on the web page to embed an image in a post like this:

CameraIcon.png

• 2. Re: Help Needed, (Stuck on quotation styles)
            Kirill.Krymov Level 1

Thanks! Here is an example of how I want the quote to be displayed (random text):

Hey there where ya goin', not exactly knowin', who says you have to call just one place home. He's goin' everywhere, B.J. McKay and his best friend Bear. He just keeps on movin', ladies keep improvin:

"Every day is better than the last. New dreams and better scenes, and best of all I don't pay property tax. Rollin' down to Dallas, who's providin' my palace, off to New Orleans or who knows where." Narrated by Mr Jones

Places new and ladies, too, I'm B.J. McKay and this is my best friend Bear.

He's goin' everywhere, B.J. McKay and his best friend Bear.

• 3. Re: Help Needed, (Stuck on quotation styles)
              Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

This could be done with nested styles. Obviously (I hope) you'll need a character style that does nothing but add a Bold attribute to the text, and to apply it I would apply [None] up to 1 " (that should be an open quote character) then the bold character style through 1 " (close quote character). This should work for a single instance of a quotation wherever it falls in the paragraph.

CS4 does not have an automatic repeat function for nested styles, so if there is ever going to be more than one quotation, you need to manually add the styles in again enough times to handle the maximum number of quotes you expect.

If you want to use a GREP style instead, this string should work to find one or more quotes per paragraph, I think:   ~{.+?~}

• 4. Re: Help Needed, (Stuck on quotation styles)
                Kirill.Krymov Level 1

Great! Problem solved, Thanks alot!